LT Aine Sherlock - That Old Feeling

Aine Sherlock

Sep 25, 2022, 9:15:58 PM9/25/22
to sb11...@googlegroups.com
((Akoram Memorial Hall, Bajor))

Though, as she had put it, Aine wasn't a sciency person, the chance to see wildlife from a planet other than her home seemed like too good a chance to turn down. It was little things like these that would be memories to share later in life. Those little things outside of the "adventures" in Starfleet like daily PADDwork, or reading reports, or writing reports, or temporal anomalies.

Sherlock: oOPlease!?! Please!?! Please, Commander!?!Oo I think it could be an interesting experience for the crew.

Zumagi: Educational, to say the-- eh?

The four were quickly joined by a fifth. Though the fifth didn't seem to stick around, just delivered a PADD to their new doctor friend. It didn't appear to be a happy delivery though as the face of Doctor Zumagi shifted. It was clear something was angering him as he downed the rest of his drink in one go, like an Irishman at breakfast.

DeVeau: Doctor, are you all right?

Sherlock: oODo we still get to see the pacitrods!?!Oo ::to Zumagi and pointing to his glass:: Clearly something's not right.

Zumagi: Sorry, sorry. Bad news. Very bad news pertaining to our little pachitrods.

Sutter: What is it, Doctor?

DeVeau: What’s wrong? What’s going on with the pachitrods?

Sherlock: Is it something we can help with?

Zumagi: Poachers. I just received word that they are getting poached for their horns. I knew this would happen! I knew it.

Sutter: ::with a shocked look on his face:: That’s horrible!

Aine was reminded of some history lessons from her childhood. Poaching had existed on earth. Many times it was for horns from animals for supposed miracle cures. Species killed and butchered into extinction for superstition.

A species being abused was something that distrubed her deeply. Whether animals or people. For the second time that night, she remembered Saural V. She was thrust into a situation there of people used as slave labor then fuel for the machines they were forced to make. That day was the first time she'd ever taken a life. She'd not enjoyed or relished it, but wasn't bothered by it. Indifference was all she felt. At the word "poachers," she suddenly felt a feeling similar to what she felt in the middle of the fighting on Saural V. She wasn't sure what it meant and wished she could run it by their former counselor, Ashley, one of the only people she'd ever spoken to about the incident.

DeVeau: From what I know, they’re already endangered.  If they’re getting killed by poachers…

Sherlock: ::finishing Alora's thought:: ...then they're likely on the brink of extinction.

Zumagi: ::nods:: This can throw Bajor's already fragile ecosystems off balance. Maybe I will speak with your higher ups. Get some help for this…

Sutter: ::turning to Alora:: Commander, if there is anything we can do, I volunteer.

DeVeau: I appreciate your eagerness, Ray, but we need to think before we act.

Sutter: I understand, Commander. It just angers me to the point of insanity to think those innocent creatures are being hurt.

This was one area Aine knew she wasn't mature enough for command. Her first instinct was to get teams together and hunt the hunters. A thought she'd keep to herself. She could easily be over reactive, but Alora was right. This would need planning and careful consideration.

DeVeau: Tell me more, doctor.

Sherlock: Are the poachers Bajorans? Or are they off-worlders?

Sutter/Zumagi: ?

DeVeau: And the poaching only started recently, after you developed a cure?

Sherlock: That would definitely give a motive.

Sutter/Zumagi: ?

DeVeau: What about attempts to synthesise?  How close are you?

Sutter/Zumagi: ?

DeVeau: It just so happens I am one of the higher ups.  Not the highest, but perhaps we can be of assistance while we’re here.

Alora began looking around, presumably for Sal. Aine was sure if Alora broached the subject with him, he wouldn't say no. There was no reason Starfleet couldn't get involved, Bajor was a Federation member world.

DeVeau: I can speak to the Commodore about it.

As Alora kept prowling, Aine took a moment to try and get some more context on the situation.

Sherlock: Doctor, ::beat:: What is the government doing? Or even local law enforcement?

Sutter/Zumagi: ?

((OOC: Not adding much other than a question as we're supposed to wrap up in the next day or so.))

Lieutenant Aine Sherlock
Tactical Officer
StarBase 118 Ops
R239712AS0