Lt. Sheila Bailey - How can I assist?

Aly Drolet

Dec 20, 2021, 8:14:18 PM12/20/21
to sb11...@googlegroups.com

((Starbase 118 Ops - Sickbay - Private Room #8))

Sheila didn’t allow her smile to falter. Yael had likely not seen much of anyone other than doctors since the mission had ended. It was completely valid for them to be inquiring after those that they cared about. Even if it made Sheila’s heart hurt.

Bailey: Everyone is fine. I’m fine. Only a few scraps and bruises. Nothing to worry yourself over. ::she glanced at his monitors:: You simply need to focus on getting well again. Hopefully they are treating you well. You warm enough? How’s your pain?

Sheila paused for a moment so that Yael could take in everything. She likewise wanted to check all the monitors and vitals. Her doctor instincts were still present after all. As such, glancing up at the monitor above the bed revealed nothing that wasn’t within normal ranges for a post surgery patient. Sheila had no doubt that her friend was being well taken care of. Even so, deep down, Sheila worried that Ashley might not be getting all their needs met. Doctors could be very busy people after all. Sheila tucked away a mental note to check in, personally, with Ashley’s doctor, just to be on the safe side. If nothing else it would put her own mind at ease.

Yael:  ::smiling the half that wasn’t wrapped::  No pain.  It’s… okay, in here.

Even if it was slightly warmer staying in a private room, Sheila had personal experience with exactly how ‘cold’ it could get staying in the hospital for days on end. She had unwillingly stayed by her uncle’s bedside after he had cosmetic surgery. Had willingly stayed with her older sister Cathleen after her shuttle accident. Nevertheless, both times, the harsh bright white, sterile environment had sapped her of happiness. Such an environment, even with friendly nurses and doctors, wasn’t exactly physiologically stimulating. As such, personal touches, like those Sheila had brought as gifts, were a way to make the depressing room seem more lived in, more comfortable and safe.

Bailey: That’s good to hear.

Pausing, Sheila reached over for the simple wicker basket that Alistair had placed at the end of the bed, near Yael’s feet. This particular basket had a large looping handle. Inside were gifts, not at all wrapped, yet all practical to a long hospital stay and recovery. Hopefully, they would provide her friend with a well meaning personal touch to their private room, allowing them to feel physically and emotionally comforted during their stay. At the very least Yael would feel cleaner, what with the soaps, and essential oils.

Bailey: Anyway I come bearing gifts. There are flowers too, red and white lilies on the side table.

Sheila pushed the basket over to rest in Yael’s lap, hoping that her Denobulan friend would take the invite to explore the goodies. At the very least, they would get the chance to smell the fragrance of the lilies, a delicate, sweet green scent that was slowly filling up the room.

Yael: ::head turning, but only slightly, to look into it::  You didn’t have to do that.

Yes, Sheila felt that she had to, that it was necessary for her to give gifts. It was what a good friend did. She had been loath to give her uncle gifts for his hospital stay. Had wished she had been able to give Cathleen something, anything, for her’s. Even then, the giving of gifts was partially her way of saying sorry, that she was guilty, in the first place, that Yael had gotten hurt. It was a desperate plea for Yael to forgive her for not being able to prevent what had happened to them. And Sheila trying to avoid shouldering all that guilt and pain secretly, privately, likely through hurting herself, she chose instead to channel it through actually being useful.

Bailey: There is a blanket in there. Sickbay is known to get cold at night. There are also some other essentials and some calming lavender oil.

Yael:  ::a single eyebrow raising::  You went all out.

Bailey: Here, let me help you.

Sheila wanted to leave Yael feeling somewhat more comfortable so decided to, at the very least, spread out the blanket for him. That way they would have a more comfortable sleep. Plus if Sheila found blankets to be a comfort, Yael might as well. As such, Sheila pulled the blanket out of the bottom of the basket, before moving the other gifts to the side. The blanket she had chosen was an orange, pink, and gray patchwork fleece. Certainly soft and definitely warm.

Yael:  Have to admit… starting to feel rather spoiled.

Bailey: Now would you like to have Alistair come up on the bed for a cuddle or would that be too much? I thought he could be of some comfort.

Yael:  I get my own therapeutic pup visit?

Sheila didn’t just think that Ali could be of comfort, she knew he was a comfort. Plus, Sheila considered Alistair to be a comfort not just to herself but to others of the crew when they needed him. A right mix between a personal service dog and a community therapy dog. And with Alistiar’s personality, friendly, loveable, eager to please, he went right over to Yeal, once Sheila uncliped his leash. Alistair went over to Yael, nuzzling against his palm, then leaning against it, tail wagging, as Yael scratched behind one of his ears.

Yael:  I bet he was glad to see you again… I’ve sometimes thought I could use my own furry support system.  ::sounding exhausted, but pushing through it::  Tried a Denobulan lemur.  Not the best choice.

Sheila smiled. A Denobulan lemur seemed like an interesting choice for a therapy animal. And a bit small if such grounding therapies, such as pressure, were required. But on the other hand, smaller animals did have their advantages. Though not necessarily because they were easier to take care of. Sheila herself had only considered dogs, after all they were traditional. Plus Elaysia had a lack of appropriate animals to choose from; unless one wanted a wild deer. Sheila certainly did not want a deer running around her quarters.

Bailey: He’s always ecstatic to see me. A Denobulan Lemur though seems…seems like a unique choice. You like animals then?

Yael:  I do like animals.  I just don’t like the messes that come with them.

That was certainly a logical reason for not having a particular fondness or liking to have a pet. Certain animals did tend to defecate more freely. Even so, it seemed like Ashley had more on their mind than simply which animal they would like to own. And Sheila couldn’t blame them. It had definitely been one long, complicated, extra dramatic mission, with an outcome not necessarily pleasant. Though as a respectful person Sheila didn’t try to stop Yael from reaching up to lightly touch at their bandages. Still, the gesture made her heart ache further for her friend. It was always hard to have your appearance altered, no matter if it be a physical or mental reason.

Yael:  I’m not sure what happened, actually… it’s rather fuzzy.  I don’t…

Sheila wasn’t sure they were the best person to fill Yael in. They too had likely dissociated some during the end of the mission. As such, they hardly knew what had actually happened during the chaos that was escaping Malefic. Despite that, she knew she, personally, didn’t want to  know the intimate details of what had gone down. She didn’t need any more reason for trauma in her life.

Bailey: Don’t try to force the memories. Just relax, rest. That’s the best thing for you right now. ::Sheila’s expression was soft, with a hint of stern precaution::

Yael:  Probably the pain medication.  It’ll come back to me.  ::noting her expression::  Or perhaps I should be glad I don’t recall.

Bailey: Things got messy. Even I don’t fully understand what happened.

Yael:  We all got out okay.  ::trying to sound certain::  Our crew is alright.

That was right, they did make it out and in relatively good order. That was what was essential at the end of the day. It was only when they lost someone that the mission would be truly and utterly considered a failure.

Yael:  Maybe... a vacation is in order.

Bailey: Well, I’m not your doctor so I can’t order you to take one. But as your friend I do suggest you follow your own advice. In the meantime, is there anything else I can do to help? While you’re here in sickbay that is. I can pull some strings. Extra pillows? Something to drink?

Yael: Response

Bailey: How about a story then? I got some good ones from Elaysia, if you like?

Yael: Response

Bailey: I could tell you about the ‘wailing woman?’

Yael: Response

Bailey: Or perhaps a lighter story like the ‘mermaid and the butterfly?’

Yael: Response

Bailey: Or or, perhaps the ‘jewel, the wizard and the mountain?’ Granted they are children's stories but…what do you think?

Yael: Response

Lieutenant Sheila Bailey

Medical Officer

Starbase 118 Ops

M239512BG0

"I don't want to feel like I have to change myself or my image." - Florence Pugh