Amb. Lukin Zorkal - "Ours"

Amanda Nordstrom

Nov 27, 2022, 9:32:49 PM11/27/22
to Starbase 118 Ops

(Arys & Lukin’s Quarters, USS Narendra))

Arys was mad.  Lukin couldn’t fathom why.  She had no reason to be mad,
except maybe at the Syndicate and the idiotic Bajoran who had decided to
make a profit at the expense of his people.  He let her talk, though,
and she laid it out.  Why she was mad.  And in it she gave way to her
own thoughts, including the idea that she was mad at him, which was even
more ludicrous.  He hadn’t done anything worthy of her ire.

But there it was.  He gave her the chance to let it out and Arys was
doing so.  The admission surprised him, but he didn’t argue. Instead, he
asked another question, hoping to find an answer so that he could
somehow fix the situation, even if he wasn’t at fault for it.

Zorkal: And why is that?

Trovek: I am not really mad. I am just… frustrated. You know how much
Geleth loves you, and you weren’t available. Neither was Ferri, so I had
to handle her. I could have stayed in DeVeau’s research team and become
famous for curing Craat’s Disease, but instead I tried to pacify a
little girl who missed her father.

Which wasn’t fair.  Geleth loved Arys too, couldn’t she see that?
Regardless, her unwillingness to go to the temple didn’t mean that she
should prevent Geleth from going, nor was it a good reason to be mad at
him because he was trying to work toward a resolution regarding the very
situation Arys was supposed to be working on. As for ‘handling’ Geleth,
there was another issue with her explanation.  She could have stayed and
participated in the research, but she hadn’t.  Instead, she had answered
a rescue call.  It still didn’t make any sense to him.  And he still
didn’t bring it up.  Yet.

Zorkal: I see.

Trovek: And then I came back, really needed someone to talk to, and you
weren’t there. ::she held up a hand, knowing what he would likely
retort:: And I know. You didn’t know I was in danger. You were on Bajor.
I am not blaming you, I am expressing that it was frustrating.

He didn’t know?  Actually, he did know, but in his infinite wisdom,
Lukin elected not to say that - he had a feeling that admitting it might
actually make things worse.  Some secrets he needed to keep close to his
chest, and that was one of them.

Zorkal: Is your anger and frustration justified?

He could have said something far more sarcastic and biting, but Lukin
also knew there was a time and a place.  This likely wasn’t either.  She
responded with a sigh and glanced over her shoulder at him.

Trovek: Care to help me with the dress?

Wait…what?  Did she literally just change the subject?

Zorkal: Help you with the dress?

Trovek: After nearly killing your child, the least I can do stay in bed
like you asked me to.

Well now, Lukin wasn’t opposed to that, but the sudden shit did sort of
throw him for a loop.

Zorkal: That is incorrect.

Even as he spoke, he rose and moved over to stand behind her, his
fingers reaching up to brush along her arms and caress the back of her
neck before he began to work at the offending cloth.

Trovek: ?

Zorkal: She’s not my daughter.

Tugging at the fabric, Lukin made quick work of the outfit, then gently
turned Arys around so that he faced her.  The situation had been
resolved, and they might continue the conversation at a later time, but
for now, he would relish in the knowledge that they were both safe, and
she was returned to him.

Trovek: ?

Zorkal: She’s *our* daughter.

Trovek: ?