Trovek/Zorkal - Path of the Prophets - Family

Arys Trovek

Aug 31, 2022, 6:17:06 AM8/31/22
to Starbase118
((Arys and Lukin’s Townhouse, Coranum District, Starbase 118))
The past few days had been busy. New projects for sickbay required Arys’ attention, and just two nights prior she and Lukin had hosted their housewarming dinner. Geleth still talked about having met the Emperor of the Sky City - Commodore Taybrim, asked regularly if they could go visit Aine, and carried Tito’s unicorn around with her.
Lukin on the other side seemed amenable to hosting dinner parties more often, but there was more on his mind than that. Arys knew that he was still worried about Ferri, and that there seemed to be something he didn’t share with her just yet.
Sharing was, of course, the fundament of any relationship. But both the Cardassian and the Bajoran-Human hybrid knew that things took time, and that, sometimes, it was necessary to sort through them in one’s own head first.
For Arys, that was the nightmare she had.
It had begun with a confrontation with Kent - a Terra Prime member who had killed and impersonated Engineer Lowell on the SS Belladonna, had then planted the tricobalt device on the warp core, and had then switched sides and aided Narendra’s crew in saving the passenger liner. Arys was advocating for him. Not for his release, but for mercy, and in her report based on the conversation she had Kent had, she described him as someone who had been coerced into putting his faith in a terrorist organization. Effectively, that gave Terra Prime the blame for his actions, and it was something she stood by.
But in the same dream, the appearance of a Bajoran girl had reminded Arys that Aaron, her brother, who found himself in a very similar situation. He was enthralled by Arys’ mother Sileah, and coerced into doing her bidding by the promise of a divine purpose. Yet Arys did not advocate for him. Instead, she had broken off any form of contact.
And after days of pondering that, she had come to the conclusion that it wasn’t fair.
This evening, the Doctor was returning home with news, and with something that wasn’t quite a suggestion. Neither was it truly a request. Arys had already made up her mind, and unless Lukin disapproved, she would go through with it - just that she would rather do it together than alone. She wasn’t depending on his support, but would also not go against his wishes.
She entered her home after a long day of work, and the smell of hearty food that greeted her told her dinner was about to be served. Geleth sat on the sofa in the living area, reading a story to both ‘Sleg’ and her unicorn, but Ferri was nowhere to be seen. That was almost odd. Arys was getting used to Ferri at the dinner table with them.
Trovek: Is Ferri not joining us today?
She asked Lukin as she passed him on her way to the sleeping room, where she would change out of her uniform and into casual clothing.
Zorkal: Ferri has a prior engagement.
The young Cardassian had a standing invitation to dinner - though Lukin and Arys both suspected that she considered it an order, rather than something more pleasant in nature. Lukin could be pleasant when he wanted to be, so could Arys, and to both of them, Ferri was more than simply an aide.
Trovek: So you are keeping her busy. ::she smirked, not minding Lukin in the room as she undressed:: Too busy for dinner?
Lukin smirked and inclined his head toward her.
Zorkal: Busy, yes. Too busy for dinner? Never. I believe she had something she needed to take care of and so I gave her leave to do so. Perhaps she can join us tomorrow.
Arys offered a nod, folding her uniform neatly before getting dressed in a set of clothes - a dark dress, black cardigan, and matching shoes. Arys didn’t docolours, even if Lukin still spoke about how much he liked her in pastels. Yuck.
Zorkal: Did you have something specific you wished to inquire of her?
Trovek: Maybe. But I wanted to speak to you about it first, and I would rather have discussed it in peace, and without Geleth around.
Without Geleth. Lukin’s gaze flicked toward the living room where the little girl was currently playing. They could have a brief talk now, but he had the feeling this would take more than a few minutes.
Zorkal: Are you in danger?
It was the most important, and perhaps a very Cardassian question to ask. Arys shook her head, approached, and placed a kiss on his cheek. He had gotten used to such displays, at least in private, and even leaned in a little to the gesture, wrapping an arm around her waist.
Trovek: No, nothing bad. But nothing child-friendly either.
Arys wasn’t in danger, so he didn’t have to worry about killing someone. Yet, they could not discuss it in front of Geleth. Now he was curious.
Zorkal: There will be time after she’s in bed. We can discuss the situation then.
Trovek: Alright. ::she smiled:: That seems like a fair compromise.
Lukin nodded and dropped the matter, but they would return to the subject. First, however, was dinner. He had always cooked often, but sometimes replicators made things easier. With his posting on stations, he was able to allow others to cook for him, as sometimes it was just easier. With the addition of two to his family, legal or not, he now cooked more often, and while cooking and eating were an art and pleasure in themselves, it was enhanced by the fact he could now do it for others.
Together they sat, together they dined, and when it was done, the usual nighttime routine began. Lukin had read that such routines were important for children, and though there might be times either he or Arys or both could not be there, they endeavoured to keep that routine as much as possible. Eventually, the evening came to a close, Geleth was put to bed after another adventure, and he and Arys had time alone. There were a variety of things they could and would do, but that night would begin with a conversation that had been hinted at earlier.
Zorkal: What is on your mind?
Lukin inquired as he settled upon the couch. Arys joined him there, satisfied with how the evening had gone, but perhaps a little anxious to discuss what was on her mind. She wasn’t quite sure why that was - after all, it was no terrible news, no life-altering decision, nothing like that.
But he could still disapprove, and if he did, she wasn’t sure how she would react.
Trovek: There is an opportunity to travel to Bajor in a few days, and I would like to take it.
She let those words settle between them, awaiting his reaction.
Bajor. Lukin had been there before, but it had been some time, and he suspected much had changed since then. How much? He didn’t know, but he also suspected that while they had made great strides forward, there was still a long way to go. Even though he himself continued to work toward reconciliation, there were others who either felt it was impossible, that enough had been done, or that it was not necessary.
Zorkal: All right. Is there a particular reason?
She was part Bajoran which was reason enough, but he could tell there was something more, especially since Arys all but denied her Bajoran heritage.
Trovek: I want to talk to Aaron. The Bracelet… and the Terra Prime encounter… I can’t ask Taybrim to find a solution to spare Kent life in a prison colony, and not even attempt to get my brother away from Sileah.
She spat out that last name, refused to call her ‘mother’.
Ah yes, the bracelet. The piece of jewellery that so clearly seemed to belong to those belonging to Geleth’s deceased mother. Arys would want to find out how it came into Aaron’s possession.
And the rest, he understood that as well. The family was one of the most important things in life, and he wasn’t going to deny her the chance to protect hers.
Zorkal: When do we leave?
Arys stared at him. She had expected him to try to talk her out of it, or at best wish her good luck in her endeavour. But she had not thought he would consider coming with her.
Trovek: I did not think you would want to come.
Zorkal: Why? They are your family. You are my family. Therefore, they are my family.
It was as simple as that. Many years ago, Lukin would have baulked at the idea, but over the course of time, he had seen many things and made many realisations. One of those was that family didn’t always look the way one might expect. Family wasn’t always made the way one might think. Family wasn’t always completed in the way one might anticipate. His eyes had been opened to many things after he’d left Cardassia, during the war - and after. He had changed. Life had changed. It wasn’t in a bad way.
Trovek: I… see. ::she nodded, and then, she wordlessly embraced him. This kind of support was something she had yet to get used to:: Thank you.
Zorkal: There is no reason to thank me. That is what family does.
Lukin did accept the embrace and returned it with one of his own, then kept her close. The stillness of the night surrounded them and their quiet conversation.
Zorkal: You mentioned there was an opportunity. Is there a specific liner heading to the planet?
Trovek: The Narendra is escorting the Belladonna, and Taybrim extended an invitation to come along and spend some time on Bajor to… relax.
She said that last word with slight disgust. Arys didn’t do relaxing well.
Zorkal: I understand that is a very foreign concept for you, but it is perhaps not an unwarranted suggestion. If the invitation is extended, then we shall accept.
And if it wasn’t extended to anyone other than the officers themselves, well, they would ask for forgiveness later.
Trovek: So all four of us then? ::she paused:: We can’t leave Ferri alone. She’s just about getting back to normal.
Lukin differed with that assessment. He felt that Ferri had hardly returned to her previous state at all. Perhaps in small ways, but very small ways, and certainly not to where she seemed like the Ferri she had been before. And that worried him more than he wanted to admit.
Zorkal: I suppose Ferri is technically family. I will tell her to come.
Arys’ face lit up at those words. That Ferri was ‘basically family’ was a big statement, especially from a Cardassian, and even more so when one kept in mind that Ferri had started out as Lukin’s aide.
Trovek: Or you could ask her instead of making it an order?
Zorkal: If I simply ask, she will likely not. I’ll make sure she knows she is expected to do so.
Arys sighed. Lukin was probably right, and Ferri would deny herself an opportunity to see Bajor because she felt that ‘no’ was the right answer to give.
Trovek: Fine, you can tell her to come - nicely.
Zorkal: I’m always nice. ::Lukin shrugged on the side that was devoid of Arys:: I am glad you wish her to come as well.
Trovek: Like you said. She’s technically family.
Zorkal: Yes. :he nodded, his grip upon the woman tightening:: She is.

Lt. Trovek Arys
Chief Medical Officer
Starbase 118 Ops
J239809TA4