Lt JG Trovek Arys - Orderly Chaos

Arys Trovek

Dec 3, 2021, 7:57:26 PM12/3/21
to Starbase118
((Somewhere on the USS Rahuba))
((Time index: about thirteen hours ago))

Arys couldn’t decide on whether she should be excited or terrified, but after somehow ending up in engineering instead of sickbay, the Lieutenant settled on ‘lost’.  The only thing saving her from embarrassment was her skill to keep a neutral facial expression, and so she simply nodded at the somewhat confused engineers before turning around to return to the turbolift.

Bectu: ::smirking:: You look lost.

Arys tilted her head and glanced towards the sources of this audacious statement, and found it to be a Bajoran female. The woman was younger than her, with strawberry-blonde hair and freckles. The single pip on her golden collar betrayed her rank, and to Arys’ regret, her dislike towards Bajorans kicked in.

She raised an eyebrow and regarded the other woman for a good five seconds before she spoke.

Trovek: Is that so, Ensign?

The poor thing froze as her eyes widened, and her face turned very pale before a flush spread over her cheeks.

Bectu: Oh-.. s-.. sorry..  I didn’t mean to be disrespectful…

Arys sighed internally and reminded herself to be nice. Not the poor Ensigns fault that her mother had traumatised and poisoned her against a whole species. She should probably talk to someone about that. Hmm…

Trovek: ::sigh:: That’s ok. ::pause:: I *am* in fact lost, but let’s keep that between us.

Bectu: ::nodding:: It’s a huge ship, I get lost all the time too. ::she eyed Arys carefully:: So you need to get to medical bay?

Trovek: Yep.

Relieved by the casual way Arys answered, the Bajoran’s face lit up with a smile.

Bectu: I can show you, if you want. I’m Ina by the way.

Arys nodded once more, and committed to remembering the name, even though she was almost certainly going to forget it.

Trovek: Arys. Have you been here long?

Bectu: ::shaking her head:: No, graduated not too long ago. My boyfriend is here on the ship as well. How about you?

That wasn’t quite what the Lieutenant had meant, but it was almost endearing how eager the young woman was. Arys settled on a benevolent smile as she answered.

Trovek: I transferred from the USS Juneau. We’ve been patrolling the Aavaro Wilds, close to the Cardassian border.

Ina’s eyes widened, and she looked like a child, excited to hear a grandpatents stories.

And just like that, Arys felt old.

Had the past weeks made her bitter? Perhaps. It certainly hadn’t been easy, and perhaps the change of scenery would be good for her. Only time would tell.

Bectu: I really want to be on ship like that…

Trovek: ::smiling:: I am sure you will. Give it some time, you’ve only just started.

The Ensign’s smile brightened, and she would quite obviously have asked more questions if they didn’t arrive at sickbay.

((Sickbay, Deck 8, USS Rahuba))

Sickbay was located on Deck 8, a lot larger than Arys had expected, and she quickly noticed that the person who had designed it was almost as cynical as she was.

There was the Primary Care Unit seemed that seemed to double as recovery ward. Arys counted eight biobeds with overhead monitors, one of them occupied by a crewmen who seemed to have managed to injure his hand before the had even left the hangar.

The next logical step was the he Intensive Care Unit. Even empty it gave Arys chills. Each biobed was designed for constant 3-dimensional scanning and monitoring, including a "Code Blue" alarm system that would sound if a patient's life-signs were no longer within acceptable parameters. Something Arys checked right away was the back-up battery power and atmospheric isolation systems, and she would have them double checked later.

Between Primary and Intensive Care was the a surgical suite. Along with the usual surgical tools, the room included mobile life support equipment, a replicator, atmospheric isolation systems, and scanning/monitoring readout station. It was pretty fancy compared to what Arys could work with if she really had to.

Next to the CMO’s office was the medlab with replicator, material diagnostics stations, gene analysis terminal, and stasis field drawers for storing anything from tissue samples to patients. t also led directly into the adjacent morgue.

Bectu: Pretty neat, huh?

Trovek: ::smirking:: It is. Now, if you don’t mind, Ensign, I will get myself organised, and I am fairly sure you have something to do.

Ina’s cheeks turned bright red once more, and the younger woman nodded before she quickly turned around and ran off.

Arys sighed and shook her head. All this time she had been unsure if she could return to being a doctor after what had happened in Helsinki. On the Juneau, the question hadn’t come up until she had received the her new orders.

But now that the Lieutenant was standing here, she marvelled at how easy it was to slip back into her old life. A smile spread on her lips as she assembled the staff, and activated the EMH, the latter of which she didn’t have to do, but found polite.

Trovek: My name is Lieutenant Trovek and I have the pleasure of working with you for the duration of this mission. I will very likely not the time to learn your names, so I trust that ‘you there’ will suffice in case of emergency. Let’s hope for a quiet shift and prepare for mass casualties.

Under Arys’ supervision, supplies were checked, files downloaded, and Arys dedicated her time to learn as much as possible about anything connected to Terra Prime. It seemed like a fairly boring mission, until from one moment to the other, this all changed.

((Timeskip: approximately thirteen hours and twenty miniutes ))

*We did everything we could.*

Arys hated those words more than anything else. If you did all you could, and someone still died, you should have tried harder. You should have been *better*, and she was close to telling the Vulcan who had assisted her in her attempts to revive Ensign Kastix exactly that.

Instead, she nodded and turned around, trying to get an overview over the sheer chaos that had erupted. Every few minutes the doors hissed open, allowing entrance to another injured crewmen. Some could walk, some basically crawled, and some no longer moved. Naturally, it was those that Arys was most concerned about.

Another hiss announced additional patients, and Arys turned around to see… Ina?… stagger inside.  She looked slightly singed and bruised but not in critical condition. She also didn’t seem at all concerned about herself, but instead almost ran over to one of the occupied beds, where a Bajoran male was coughing up blood.

Trovek: ::to the closest nurse:: Make sure the Ensign over there is being treated depending on her injuries.

The nurse nodded, and Arys turned her attention to the next critical case instead - the man had burn injuries so severe that he was barely recognizable. They had to sedate him. Not because of the pain, but because he had clawed at his own flesh to get ‘them’ off him. Arys assumed he was referring to the well-done pieces of terrorist that had melted into his own skin.

When the commander’s voice, however gentle it might be, sounded, Arys almost dropped her tricorder.

Dal: =/\= Bridge to Sickbay.  Doctor, are you alright? =/\=

Trovek: ::taking a deep breath to regain composure:: =/\= We’re good. Are there still intruders on board? =/\=

Dal: =/\= Security confirms the intruders have been contained. =/\=

Arys noticed the strain in the Commander’s voice, and how he coughed. That didn’t sound good, but it also didn’t sound bad enough to be concerned just yet. Still….

Dal: =/\= What is the situation in sickbay? =/\=

Trovek: =/\= We are doing okay for now but we’re reaching capacity a lot more quickly than I would like. Four in critical condition, two others who don’t seem to stabilise. How does the bridge look like? =/\=

Dal: =/\= We have injured on the bridge.=/\= ::He confirmed in those soft calm tones.::

Trovek: =/\= Is any of them dying? =/\=

It was cruel, but if they were not, they would have to wait. She glanced at one of the crewmen in critical condition, another case of ‘we did all we can’. Still, she wouldn’t give up on someone, even if she could see their blood oxygen dropping second by second. The Dexalin just didn’t show any effect.

Dal: =/\=

Another beep, another five percent down.

Trovek: ::to the nurse:: Hand me the Trioxin, not like we have much of an alternative left.

The nurse nodded, doing as she was told. It wasn’t a permanent solution, but hopefully it would work long enough.

Trovek: =/\= I’ll be on my way. =/\=

With a last glance at Ina, who sat by her boyfriends side and her eyes closed in exhaustion, Arys grabbed a medical kit and made her way to the bridge.

TAG/TBC

Lt. J.G. Trovek Arys
Medical Officer
Starbase 118 Ops