JP: Lt. JG Trovek * Amb. Zorkal - “In Sickness and Health” (Part 2)

Amanda Nordstrom

Jan 10, 2022, 4:58:09 PM1/10/22
to StarBase 118 Ops – UFOP: StarBase 118

((Starbase 118 - Ambassador Lukin Zorkal’s Quarters))

Lukin wasn’t sure how to feel about the tender administrations of the woman who was quite literally a doctor and was doctoring him, specifically.  He hated being sick.  The event was certainly rare enough that it was not a situation that he needed to deal with normally.  But now he was, and as irritating as he found it, he wasn’t sure if that bothered him more or the fact that she was babying him.

But he also recognised *why* she was doing it.  Even if he didn’t like the fact, she was acting out of care for him, and he pondered this over in his mind even as he offered a begruding -

Zorkal: Thank you.

Once more she vanished, this time for a longer duration, and into the kitchen. When she returned, she did so with a not-replicated cup of redleaf tea, which she sat down on the table.

For a moment, Lukin sat there and stard at it, the thin tendrils of white steam curling upward and dancing until they dissipated, spreading themselves so thin they simply ceased to exist.  A moment later, he leaned forward and picked up the mug to sip at it.  Once he swallowed a couple of mouthfuls, the tartness lightly clinging to his tongue, he turned an eye toward Arys.  Though his illness had certainly put him, as Terrans were fond of saying, “under the weather”, his eyes were still clear and quite sharp.

Zorkal: I understand you had something of an adventure.

Trovek: I did? Are you referring to the accident in the lab? ::she frowned and paused:: How do you even know about that?

He snorted, but allowed himself another sip of the tea.

Zorkal: It’s not exactly classified information.

Trovek: ::with a shrug:: It shouldn’t be readily accessible information either.

Ah, but he had his sources didn’t he?  Lukin might have smiled, but he couldn’t bring himself to exert the energy.  Leaning back, he curled his fingers around the mug, soaking in the heat from the small object, rested his head upon the back of the couch and closed his eyes.

Zorkal: Tell me about it.

Arys didn’t want to tell him about it. She didn’t want to talk about it at all, and she dreaded writing up the necessary report about the incident. But she also knew that Lukin was stubborn, and usually got her to talk, whether she wanted it or not.

She gave another shrug only she could see, and took a seat next to him on the sofa. She craved physical closeness, but she didn’t force it upon the ill Cardassian, knowing that he was less interested in such things. At least that was what she assumed.

Trovek: There isn’t so terribly much to tell. Some Cadet accidentally lowered a containment field, which caused a toxin to be released. We were already in the process of developing an antidote and I guess it was extra motivation to speed up the process.

Zorkal: Well that’s unfortunate.

And stupid.  If a cadet couldn’t prevent themself from stupidity like that, , then they should simply leave and go do something else with their  life.  Like farming.  That mistake had put an entire starbase at risk.  It had put Arys at risk.

Zorkal: I imagine it was frightening for you.

Trovek: I don’t know… For some reason I wasn’t overly concerned about dying. If anything, I was bothered by the idea that I would check out before beating whoever made the compound in the first place. I was too busy to be concerned.

That time, a smile did appear.  Well, a smirk ,really.  Lukin opened his eyes and dropped his gaze to look over at Arys.  She had been born to the wrong people, hadn’t she?

Zorkal: Have you worked under similar conditions before?

Trovek: Well, perhaps. I never was in such a situation before. Maybe once, but I was a good bit younger.

Zorkal: Tell me about that.

Lukin didn’t really want to talk much.  His throat was sore, though the tea helped sooth it a little, which he utilised by taking another sip.  Her voice, however, was also soothing.  He just wanted her to keep talking and let him listen.

Trovek: There… wasn’t any ill intent anywhere. ::she seemed to feel a need to clarify that:: I was working late, at the clinic, and at the time I was still part of my father’s team, not someone to fly solo. I was watching over this couple, fairly straightforward case - a Human-Betazoid female and a male partner with Klingon ancestry. Not due for another few weeks, but at the Clinic because of some overnight testing - I can’t remember what in specific.

Zorkal: And then?

Trovek: And then she started having cramps. There was blood, and they had lost children before. So the Klingon panicked. At some point he was smashing up some.. Vase or mirror, I can’t remember, and threatened me.

Any hint of a smirk or smile was gone, replaced with a severe scowl that blackened his already dark expression, turning his face rather sour.

Zorkal: What did you do?

She shrugged once more and curled up into a ball on the sofa, leaning her head against his thigh. She was terribly tired, and the only thing that kept her on her feet was the amount of caffeine and other stimulants she had taken to keep herself functioning.

Trovek: It was weird. The part of my brain that was supposed to be scared just switched off. It wasn’t that the life of mother and child mattered more than my own, it wasn’t fear of failure… it was spite. I wanted to prove that I was better than the other interns. ::pause:: That was my motivation. Winning. ::another pause:: Is that weird?

Zorkal: No.

The hand that was empty lowered to hover over her hair, to ever so lightly caress the dark tresses.  He withdrew it, then leaned forward, disturbing her in order to place the cup of tea upon the table, then snaked an arm about her shoulders to draw her closer.

Arys tilted her head, looking at him with a puzzled expression. This was… new. Last time she had actively asked for an embrace, and this time it just happened.

Zorkal: It’s cold.

She gave him a look and then sighed. She wanted this closeness, and she didn’t mind sharing her warmth with him. She cuddled up against him, resting her head against his chest. Eventually she confessed:

Trovek: I missed you. Had I known you’re not feeling well I would have-... no. I wouldn’t have been able to leave the lab. This was far too important. I don’t think I left Sickbay in the past two weeks or so.

He had missed her as well.  The question was, could he say that?  What would that mean if he gave voice to it.  His eyes cracked open again and he glanced down, the ebony of her hair cast with a dull shine from the dim lights.

Zorkal: You’ve hit the ground running.

That was a very Terran phrase, one he had picked up when he served on DSX.  It had caught on because it was so appropriate, really, and in Ary’s case, it was extremely accurate.  She’d been transferred and hadn’t even had a chance to settle before she was carried away to deal with Terra Prime along with other crew members.  Afterward, she’d been tasked with finding a way to counteract it.

Trovek: I haven’t even unpacked. Still not. I guess, perhaps, I am not trusting it yet. The idea of staying here. I don’t want to get too comfortable.

Zorkal: Perhaps that will change.

But she was feeling so very comfortable here with him on the sofa, and if the decision was left to her, she wouldn’t leave. Ever.  But there was something else, another thought that crept up in her mind.

Trovek: If I had died… would you miss me?

What a morbid thought.  Lukin didn’t like thinking about it.  Not one bit.  Everyone had their time, of course.  Everyone died.  The hope was that a person would reach an old age before doing so.  Of course, if things got really bad, they were the first ones to go, but neither he nor she were in any sort of situation as had been found on Cardassian in the past.  Those who did so were honoured at their passing.  Someone in their family participated in the shri-tal, and then they were gone.  Perek flowers would adorn abodes, a mark of mourning.  A mark of passing.

As a soldier, the idea that he would die young had, indeed, crossed his mind, crossed the mind of everyone who served just as he did.  They would, of course, die for Cardassian, but in the back of every single mind was the hope that they would survive.  He had.  Many had not.

And now he was in a position where he might be allowed that freedom.  To age and see life in a different way.  Arys had so quickly and distinctly now become a part of that life.  How strange things happened sometimes.  And what if she died?  That was *not* a thought that had crossed his mind til she asked it, and it was not something he wished to contemplate at all.

Zorkal: I knew you would not die.  You are too capable.  And stubborn.

But had he had any fear at all?  Deep down inside?  He didn’t ponder it.  Didn’t wish to.

Trovek: ::with a soft smile:: You’re not wrong. And… I don’t know. Terra Prime is on the list of things I would find it embarrassing to die to. A bunch of humans who somehow think they are superior to other species. And that despite there being nothing special about them. They look like empty canvases. They don’t have a brain of Cardassian capacity, they don’t have anything like telepathy or empathy. They’re just… humans.

Zorkal: Quite unextraordinary.

Trovek: It’s the same for Bajorans. Humans with nose ridges. The most interesting thing that ever happened to them was being occupied. They still talk about it all the time.

There was a huff from the Cardassian.  The Occupation had been two things. It had been an event that benefited Cardassia - at least at first - and concurrently a blot in their history.  It was embarrassing.  It was an example of how they had grossly misused their abilities and technology.  In the end, it had become too much to sustain with all the pushback from the resistance.

And what had they been told on Cardassia?  The news had made it seem a far different story, that they had offered a hand of friendship to the Bajorans, only to be lashed out against.  The truth was far darker.

Zorkal: It is common to talk of it among Cardassians still.

Not as much as once upon a time.  But often enough.

She sighed and closed her eyes as she cuddled up more closely to him. This was nice, comfortable, and exhaustion was finally kicking in.

Trovek: I spoke to someone. He said Starfleet regarded Terra Prime as a joke. Something not to be taken seriously. And now? Twenty-thousand dead… within an hour. Imagine that. There you’re living in a colony with your human wife and half-human children and suddenly… all gone.

Lukin couldn’t fault Starfleet.  He had far more information than she did.  His own intelligence had said much the same.  That spoke to something more, that information had been manipulated, or restricted somehow.  Oh he was far too familiar with that - his own government had done that in abundance.  No, there was something more, something behind it all.  If his own people couldn’t get the proper intelligence, how could anyone expect the Federation to?

And because of whatever it was, weather it was Terra Prime presenting themselves in a fashion that made others think they were laughable, or someone else coering for them, the statistics were, indeed, staggering.  All gone.  And the thought struck them - what if she had been among them?  What if that substance *had* killed her?  What if she had been a victim.  Her warmth against him was welcome.  Inviting.  Comfortable.  If Terra Prime had succeeded, that would have been gone as well.

The arm that encircled her tightened.  Not a lot.  Just a little, but also enough to take a firmer hold, a subconscious desire, perhaps one that was slowly becoming conscious, one that had wormed its way into the depths of the Cardassian who reclined upon the couch, not quite well, but what was the actual sickness from which he suffered?  It didn’t matter.  All that mattered was that she was there.  Terra Prime had tried its best, but in the end, it would be beaten.  And if Lukin had something to say about it, he would assist in bringing them to their knees.

Lt. J.G. Trovek Arys
Medical Officer
Starbase 118 Ops
J239809TA4