JP- Lt Cmdr DeVeau & Ensign Yael - Walking Into The New (P2)

Amanda Nordstrom

Sep 24, 2020, 10:54:26 AM9/24/20
to StarBase 118 Ops – UFOP: StarBase 118
((Starbase 118 Ops - Commercial Sector))

Alora sipped slowly at her chocolatey goodness as she studied him while
he spoke.  This was a part of the learning process - plucking a single
person from the masses that made their way through the station to delve
a little deeper in one life - to get to know that person.  This was
especially important when that person was going to be someone you worked
with, played with, even risked your life with.  He, however, wasn’t
willing to divulge much.

DeVeau: I’m assuming counseling is among your interests.  Why counseling?

It was a typical question, one she was asked, one she asked others, but
the answer to such sometimes gave insight into a person - a great way to
encourage dialogue and help to get to know someone.

Yael:  Well… my parents are both medical doctors, so the field came
somewhat naturally.  However, I didn’t have the hands for surgery, so I
felt about a bit and came to Abnormal Psychology. It became my first
focus.  ::pausing::  Though I’ve complimented it with Xenocultural
studies and anthropology.

He knew he was being psychoanalyzed, but it was hardly unexpected from a
new crewmate.  Still, he wanted to turn it around again.

Yael:  What is *your* educational focus?  You wear Science blues.

DeVeau:  I do indeed.  Xenobotany and xenozoology.

Yael:  I get the feeling we would work well together.  We do cover the
scientific bases.  ::pausing::  What have you done with the Xenobotony?
I can’t imagine it gets much use in deep space?

DeVeau:  Actually, you’d be surprised.  Analyzing flora and fauna from
various planets - and there are new species still being discovered on
any number of them.  Taking a look at ones we already know about, but
doing further studies, making new discoveries to add to our
information.  Then there are the experiments - we haven’t even touched
the tip of the iceberg in that department.  For example, there’s an
Andorian arthropod that we’ve known has existed since before Starfleet
was formed. However, over recent years, we’ve discovered some
information about it that might lead to cures for certain diseases.  We
don’t know yet, we’re just starting to study it, but it’s just one of
many things that we find out if we keep studying, even if it’s about
something we already know.

Drinking his cooling mug of coffee, Yael kept an eye out at the crowd,
but kept his focus at the table as well.  He kept expecting to see other
people he already knew, after having met Fleet Captain Taybrim.

DeVeau: So now we’ve come to the point where I must ask you a very, very
important question.

Yael: ::curiously::  Oh?

Alora leaned forward, arms crossed one over the other, her smile fading
into something far more solemn.  Those verdant eyes met his violet ones,
her tone adding to the seriousness of the matter.

DeVeau: Now if you need time to think about it, that’s fine. But...I
hope you’ll be willing to answer this for me.

His smile waned, and his eyes widened as he leaned back slightly to
match her forward incline, his mind spinning about what she might be
about to ask.

Yael:  ::pensively::  What’s that?

DeVeau: Do you like plants?

He blinked, then laughed lightly.  She’d managed to get him worked up.

Yael:  I suppose I do.  Though I’m not sure they like me, as I’ve killed
several of their kin in the past.  You won’t hold that against me
though, will you?

DeVeau:  I don’t know.  What were the poor victims?

Yael:  It was nothing rare, I assure you.

DeVeau:  Oh really?  I’ll have to take your word for it, I suppose.

The banter was fun, but while they talked Ashley was working up a
psychiatric profile in his mind.  This crewmate was already giving him
copious information about her coping mechanisms and personality.  He’’d
be sure to write it up and then compare it to her actual file.  He also
wondered if she’d spill the beans on anyone he needed to keep an eye on.

Yael:  So.  Anyone I should look out for?  Any troublemakers or
miscreants on the staff?  Or are you the only one?

Of course, the last part was said in jest.

DeVeau: I was about to say, I don’t know of anyone besides me.

Alora’s grin brightened her expression and she broke it only to finish
off her chocolate milk.  After that, she stood and motioned for the
ensign to follow her.

DeVeau: Come with me.

He didn’t answer verbally.  Instead, he gave her a glance that was all
the question necessary, laced with curiosity mixed with distrust.

She clicked her tongue and shook her head.

DeVeau: I promise I’m not kidnapping you.  Unless you don’t come with
me, then I might have to resort to that, but I’d prefer not going that
route. Besides, I’m higher in rank, so...

Alora beamed at Yael, then aimed toward the exit.

DeVeau: I’m going to take you on a tour of...the habitat sector!
Exciting, right?

Yael:  Well in that case, kidnap away.

He wasn’t sure he needed a tour, but he didn’t want to break the energy
of the moment, or ruin her good mood.

DeVeau: Actually, we’re going to visit some people.

Yael:  People?

Alora picked up the pace, catching a turbolift.  Giving a command for
one of the habitat decks, the doors closed and the turbolift hummed
softly.  The woman clasped her hands behind her and rocked from heel, to
toe, to heel, then back again.

DeVeau: I think you’ll like them.  Very quiet.  Very clean.

He’d had to jog a bit to keep up with her, but his curiosity was now
firmly peaked.

Yael:  Who are these clean, quiet people?

DeVeau: I’m going to introduce you to my babies, of course.

Yael:  ::his face fell, suddenly worried::  Babies?!  *Your* babies?

The turbolift halted and the doors parted.  Immediately, Alora stepped
forward and continued down the hall.  She didn’t say another word in
reply, simply kept going until all of a sudden she paused in front of
one - once again, doors parting to make way.

Inside, her quarters were clean.  A large couch  was flanked by two
stuffed arm chairs all facing a coffee table.  Upon that table stood a
large pot filled with green, quilted leaves and bursting with pink and
purple blossoms.  That was not the only plant to inhabit the room.
Opposite the doors was a wide window that allowed a view to the stars
beyond.  Shelves lined the walls beside them, filled to the brim with a
variety of flora.  Some were recognisable - a vulcan orchid, an Andorian
ice lily.  Some were far more rare, the names known only to the resident
of the room.  About half of them all seemed to be related - either
shorter, hairy leaves, or longer ones that were more like tongues, but
every single one sported at least one blossom in a wide array of
colours.  More shelves lined the walls that would have been bare,
stretching out to encompass as much of the space as possible.  Alora
stopped first at the focal point, then moved off first to one side, then
to another.

DeVeau:  These are all my babies.  But which one?  Which one?

Alora taped her lips with a finger as she pondered the question.
Finally, she approached one of the shelves and from it plucked a plant
set in a round, yellow pot.  Like many, it had those fuzzy quilted
leaves, though these particular ones had scalloped edges and were on the
darker side of green.  A small cluster of blossoms winked up at the
onlookers, the yellow anther which was the heart circled by white which
stretched along the edges of each ruffled petal.  Lavender spread
through the middle of the petals, like a colourful thumbprint among
white paint.  Lifting it, Alora offered the pot to Yael.

DeVeau: This one.  This one is yours.  I think it suits you.

It finally made a bit more sense, her “babies.”  Should he accept it?
He accepted the pot with the brilliantly patterned blooms, but gingerly.

Yael:  Are you certain?  I’ve just confessed to floral murder. You might
be handing me my next victim.

DeVeau:  No.  No, I think this on will take.  African Violets are hardy
things, and they don’t need much care.

Yael:  You’ll need to give me some instructions.  My killing streak must
come to an end.  ::pausing::  But only if you’re certain.

DeVeau: Oh I am.

Alora swept over to a corner where a desk sat beneath some of those
shelves of plants.  Sitting in the chair, she tapped at the console.  A
moment later, she leaned back, hands splayed.

DeVeau: And done.  You now have instructions as well as replicator
programs so that you can repot when necessary.

Smiling at her, he must have matched the blooms nicely.

Yael:  I haven’t been to my issued quarters yet.  No doubt this will
brighten them up.

DeVeau: Plants are beautiful.  I like spreading beauty.  Now, if you
have any questions, any trouble, just come see me, I’ll help you out.

Hopefully it won’t be such bad trouble that half the base was destroyed
- like poor Aron’s ship, and Teller’s plant had taken a hard hit.  She
wondered how it was doing - she was going to have to give him a call and
touch base .

DeVeau: And once you feel confident, I’ll be glad to pass along more.

Yael:  Let’s… start with one, and see how it goes.

DeVeau: I should probably let you go so you can actually get quarters
but...I have a proposition.

Yael:  What would that be?

DeVeau: You said you’ve never been to Japan.  I’ve never been to
Alaska.  Would you be willing to give me a holotour of Alaska if I take
you to some parts of Japan?

He turned toward the door, still smiling that eternal smile, and nodded
before making his way to it.

Yael:  I’d be happy to.  Sometime soon, before you see this poor thing
in disrepair and change your mind.

Making his way out of the Lieutenant Commander's quarters, he made his
way to locate his own so he could find a proper place for the poor
unfortunate plant he would attempt to keep alive.

******

Ensign Ashley Yael
Counselor
StarBase 118 Ops