Lt. Nestira Aristren - Unsettling Symphony

Arys Trovek

May 28, 2023, 5:22:17 AM5/28/23
to sb11...@googlegroups.com
((Bridge, USS Narendra))

Nestira was not a scientist, but as most Starfleet Officers could probably attest, if one stuck around long enough, one gained approximate knowledge on a number of things outside ones scope. She wasn't an exception that, and due to the luxury of a long lifespan and no interest in pursuing a career progression that would force her onto a preset path, Nestira had not only been around for quite some time, but also taken the liberty of taking extended leaves while she travelled or revisited Academy courses on matters that interested her.

The result was that Nestira had definite knowledge on a number of things, and that came in handy as the saucer found itself in the proximity of an explosion that they could escape from without major damage, but would propagate a shockwave that could damage the Rahuba and would absolutely be an interruption to their evacuation efforts.

Her plan was simple, but it wasn't easy - Create a localized temporary subspace pocket through a precisely calibrated tachyon pulse, while simultaneously generating a secondary shielded containment field to encapsulate the exploding vessel.

Aristren: It might be enough to temporarily invert the polarity of the shockwave. The disadvantage is that we will be a lot closer than I believe Zel wants us to be.

McLaren: But it should keep the other ships safe, yes?

Zel: Yeah, it would.

The Rodulan gave a nod. That was the scientific side of it, but now it was a matter of Zel's input regarding the viability of the required manoeuvre.

Aristren: Can you do it? What are our options?

He drew in a breath and nodded to Nestira.

Zel: It is possible.  If we time it right, we can push the impulse engines with the thrusters to do a jump and clear past Miranda VII.  It’s a messy manoeuvre and if we’re followed we’ll lose manoeuvrability for up to a minute, but it would get us in, out and hopefully everyone safe.  Or we could just do a reasonable jump and put everything to shields.  And it would… have a similar effect.  We’d be down and out for about a minute… but hopefully everyone is safe.

McLaren: Then lets do it... thats what we're here for any way.

Zel: Course plotted.

Aristren: I would prefer the second approach. ::she looked at Solaris:: Are you in agreement?

The second move was less fancy, but seemed the safer option - in particular because there were still several enemy vessels in close proximity and it was near impossible to forecast how each of them would react.

McLaren: We can shunt power from weapons to the shields and structural integrity field. That should harden us against the explosion.

Zel: You don’t trust my ability to pull off a split-second fancy maneuver that magically saves us all?

He was clearly joking as he said that, and Nestira indulged a smile.

Aristren: I absolutely do, and we have been exceedingly lucky in the past hours...

Zel: Truth be told sooner or later we all run out of luck.  I’ll take the surer bet.  So long as no one comes and takes some pot shots at us…

McLaren: The rest of the fighters are with the Farussi dealing with the stardrive. We shouldn’t need weapons for the moment.

Aristren: I'm drawing power to the shields.

Zel: Get the tachyon pulse targeted.  We’ve going to use that target as a pivot point and moved around it to create the field.

Which was an excellent plan, and their science officer - a Trill Ensign Nestira remembered to have seen before but didn't know the name of - gave assent before calibrating the tachyon pulse. Nestira stepped over to the young woman to double-check her work. They couldn't afford any mistakes.

Aristren: This looks excellent ::she nodded at the Ensign then looked at Solaris:: We are ready.

McLaren: response

Confident that her science colleague was able to do her part, Nestira returned to the tactical console - and not a second too late. There was the sickening feeling that they were spinning in circles as the saucer section got into this maneuver, and for a moment, Nestira's heart seemed to stop.

Zel: Keep that tachyon beam steady, and maybe hold on?

McLaren: response

Nestira had given no consideration to what what the maneuver would feel like, only that it worked. Which, retrospectively, was an oversight on her part.

Zel: I am really glad we upgraded the inertial dampeners…

McLaren: response

Again and again they circled around the smaller vessel, their approach looking to be successful... until Nestira's console alerted her to the drain it put on them.

Aristren: This is costing us more than anticipated. I am taking weapons offline to compensate.

It didn't mean that their plan was failing. It just meant that it was imperative that their plan was as effective as they hoped because there was a good chance they would not be able to retreat as far as they would have liked.

McLaren: response

Zel: response

Nestira glanced at the sensor readings, her eyes following the cascade of catastrophic events that unfolded within the self-destructing vessel, and she could picture the fractures spiderwebbing across the hull, and electrical discharges arching through severed conduits, creating an eerie dance of shimmering energy.

Aristren: If we leave now, we have won nothing.

They would not get far enough out of range, and they would not contain the explosion, and even with the heads-up, the Rahuba would not make it out of range of the shockwave.

McLaren: response

Zel: response

Nestira nodded soberly, initiating evacuation of the sections that were likely to sustain most damage.

And then, it happened. The explosion erupted from within the beleaguered vessel in a cataclysmic display of fiery chaos.

Aristren: Brace!

The force of the explosion reverberated through the surrounding space. The ship shuddered in a violent, visceral response to the unleashed detonation, but it seemed their plan on how to contain the explosion had been successful. Almost.

The blinding shockwave that radiated outward had merely lost on potency and reach. It would likely spare the Rahuba, but engulfed the saucer in tumultuous embrace.

McLaren: response
Zel: response

Aristren: Diverting additional power to the shields.

The shockwave transmitted a palpable wave of energy through the Narendra's shields, causing them to flicker and ripple in a desperate attempt to absorb and dissipate the incoming force, a strain that translated through the ship's structure, creating an unsettling symphony of creaks and groans.

McLaren: response
Zel: response

Alarms blared with shrill urgency, adding to the disarray that filled the air, and the lights flickered erratically before they dimmed, while emergency panels illuminated with an ominous red glow.

Smoke billowed from damaged consoles, filling the air with an acrid scent, while sparks erupted from severed wires, creating sporadic showers of electric brilliance. The acoustics of the bridge were marred by the sounds of explosions and structural groaning, mingling with the shouts of crew members coordinating their efforts.

Nestira's focus remained on the readouts in front of her, and she didn't look up until damage reports came in.

Aristren: We have a few casualties but no fatalities. Damage to decks seven and eight, sections three to five. Shields are down, weapons offline. ::she paused:: The shockwave has barely reached the Rahuba. They will be fine.

TBC....

((OOC: I think this is a good place to wrap it up - what do you think?))

Lt. Nestira Aristren
Strategic Operations Officer
Starbase 118 Ops
J239809TA4