Lt Commander Foster - Are You Having Fun?

1 view

Jamie LeBlanc

Nov 25, 2022, 11:07:11 PM11/25/22
to SB118

((USS Narendra, Holodeck))

An Andorian who was the resident group expert on curling.  That sounded like the punchline to a bad joke.

And Wyn was only an “expert” by comparison.  He was really not skilled in curling, he simply knew how to do it.  Which was more than the rest of his companions.  So he found himself coaching them on how to play the game.

Foster: Oh yeh the brooms! Which are actually brushes. You sweep the ice to make it slick so the rock goes farther. The Skip… ::he patted Trovek’s shoulder again:: yells at you to keep sweeping or stop sweeping depending on how far she thinks the rocks should go

Tito: Why do I feel you will likely enjoy it more than you think Arys?

Trovek: The only thing I like more than yelling at people are fun medical traumas ::she glanced at Foster:: which … are sad for the patient, of course…. and I wouldn’t say I like them…. yeah..

She gave him a side eye.  He gave her a side eye.  The side eyes met.

Foster: You would really get on well with my Dad.

His Dad who loved nothing more than solving a medical mystery or miraculously fixing a curious medical trauma.

Wyn on the other hand rather hated medical traumas.  He had been through too many where he worked above and beyond to save the patient, only to find them changed from the ordeal.  And that bothered him – chilled him – that someone’s life could be so drastically changed by living through a trauma.

Blackwell: I was assuming you meant traumas that happened in an entertaining way - something even the injured could laugh at after.

One could only hope.

Tito: Then let's get sweeping.

Foster: Yeah, we better.

Anything to take his mind off of ruminating on medical traumas.

Tito: Remember to say sweep.

Trovek: Got it.

Foster: And yell ‘whoah’ if you want us to stop.

He looked at her and shrugged as if to say ‘I don’t know why it is “whoah” and not stop.  It just is.’

Blackwell: Sweep. Right. Meanwhile … ::And she moved out on the ice, sliding across, arms out to steady her, with a wide grin on her face, feeling the chilled air around her, and breathing it in for a moment - when she slowed to a stop, she pushed her self back towards the group with the broom:: Just had to.

Wyn slid out onto the ice with a sure-footed ease.  His antennae uncurled and enjoyed the cool air.  He cracked a half smile at Rue.

Foster: You’re good.

Tito: Ready when you are.

Blackwell: Okay, I am ready.  Game face on :Her expression became jokingly solemn, a picture of concentration, until she relaxed it with a smile::

Trovek: Okay team. ::she grinned:: I don’t want to see failure. Do not disappoint me.

Foster: No failure.  Got it.

Tito: ?

Blackwell: Of course, Fearless leader, we’ll make you proud

Wyn took the throwing position, lining up the stone for a scoring draw.  Now they just had to get it home.

Trovek: Mop Faster! Come on! ::pause:: No! Stop! It’s going too far!

Tito: response

He watched as the throw veered on the ice, moving like a gutterball in bowling until it was rather off target.

Blackwell: I…seem to have veered of course. ::That was an understatement::

Trovek: Disappointing. ::she shook her head::

Foster: I mean this is a practice round.  None of us have ever done this before.  So we can keep trying before we would keep score.

Blackwell:  ::She pushed back towards starting point, nudging the stone with her:: Admittedly, Ice skating isn’t my forte.

Foster: You shouldn’t have ice skates.  More like slippy-shoes…

This was a holodeck, so he tried to call up the right specs and get the holodeck to adjust.

Tito/Trovek: ?

Blackwell: There is a first time for everything, and can’t learn without a couple of mistakes ::amicably commenting as she got back into position::

Tito/Trovek: ?

Foster: ok, My advice it – to start, get used to walking on the ice with the shoes.  Back and forth a few times.  Then let’s do a few more practice shots.

Tito/Trovek/Blackwell: ?

He demonstrated, the best way he could, how to slide on the ice with the curling shoes.  But really there was no substitution for actual real practice.

Foster: You want me to push you?  ::he offered to the pokiest teammate with a grin.::

Tito/Trovek/Blackwell: ?

Foster: Alright, let’s try this.  I’ll throw the stone and you just try to skate alongside it.  Just keep pace.  We’ll add the mops later.

Tito/Trovek/Blackwell: ?

He grinned at the question and managed to look innocent.

Foster: I don’t know, are YOU having fun?

Tito/Trovek/Blackwell: ?

~*~
tags/tbc
~*~

Lt Commander Shar’Wyn Foster
Chief Surgeon
StarBase 118 Ops

"Why do we fly? Because we have dreamt of it for so long that we must"

~Julian Beck

E239010ST0