Ensign Y'zyr - Bugs In The System

kaycieekeith

Apr 1, 2022, 10:16:21 PM4/1/22
to StarBase 118 Ops a Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Engineering - Si’laan))

Velix: So what do we do? Just wait for Commander DeVeau to find a solution?

Hael: ?

Dal: =/\= ?

The cybernetic Trill took in a deep breath, and glanced at his team and at their Risu companion.  Was this going to be how they died?  Frustrated with screaming alarms blazing around them, and arguing about an engine modification or a deflector plan?  Neeya sat in one of the pillow seats that Ozai dared not use, for fear of crushing it beyond further use.  He moved nearer to her though.

Y’zyr:  Staying out of the way?

Velix: Hey. Sure. Just letting them talk and decide what to do, other than wait until someone finds a solution.

Y’zyr:  I’m not sure I know what to do here.  I was hoping the engineers could tell us what we need to do.

Her smile widened and she nodded. He was probably right.

Velix: True. Well you could sit down here and look at these weird plants. And one of my symbionts hosts was a botanist - weird plant is my professional description. Look.

She motioned towards one of the plants nearby, a weird kind of grass that resembled long, yellow fingers growing out of the soil.  It was definitely strange looking, and he was trying to ignore the stab of jealousy that struck him when she mentioned a previous symbiont host… when something caught his metallic eye.

Y’zyr:  You said weird plant?

Velix: Weirdo plant, that’s what I said. Why?

He didn’t get the chance to answer before Ya’faemi and Hael interrupted their slight diversion from the issue at hand.

Hael: ?

Ya’faemi: ?

Velix: Y’zyr noticed something weird.

Y’zyr:  Actually… ::his nose turned up under his mask slightly:: … are those plants *supposed* to be crawling with bugs?

Thank the gods he was wearing a nearly full protection suit, save for his exposed cybernetic arms.  He hadn't expected to encounter actual bugs on a space-faring vessel.  ... he'd be sure to run an extra sanitization scan when he returned to the Rahuba...

Real bugs.  Not bug bots like Geoff.  The spider bots eyes turned to take in the plant and the insects crawling through the fingerling grasses.

Ya’faemi:  ?

She seemed genuinely disturbed, but… it didn’t seem like she could *see* them.  Was this a species thing?  Bad eyesight?  Weird thing for a prey species to evolve with.

Velix/Hael:  ?

His eyebrows furrowed and he looked again.  They couldn’t see them?  But *he* could.  What the ever-technical heck was going on?

Y’zyr:  Geoff.  You can see them?  ::the spider bot nodded his adorable head::  Can you grab a few of them for me?

Geoff:  Sure thing, dad.

Dad…?

Before he could question the spider's parentage, Geoff shot off his arm in a flighty leap onto the wall, then disappeared down into the grass.  There were some mechanical grunts and frustrated curses, and the grass began to move where Geoff was moving beneath the growth level, creating a shadowed trail.  Then two clawed legs shot above the growth level with a triumphant motion, displaying two of the bugs, one clutched in each clawed tip.

Geoff:  Got two!  They’re fast.  ::pause, then blustering::  But I’m *faster!*

With a sudden leap, Geoff aimed straight for Ozai’s face… mechanical black and gold eyes widened as the fist sized spider flew toward him, then impacted his face.  He couldn’t help jerking back and gasping in restrained alarm, despite having a face mask AND a helmet with a clear mask portion drawn down and secured.  The sight of a giant spider attaching suddenly to his face still alarmed him on an instinctual level, despite knowing Geoff was harmless.

When he recovered from the sudden presence of the spider-bot on his face, he sighed, before realizing Geoff was holding onto two very *strange* bugs.  They seemed to be… shimmering.  Vibrating?

Hael/Ya’faemi/Velix:  ?

Y’zyr:  I’m telling you, they’re there.  They seem to be *flickering.*  Like… they’re fading in and out every second or so.

They actually seemed to rotate between totally opaque and slightly transparent.  Scanning them left him even more confused, but gave him a few details.

Y’zyr:  These bugs seem to have contained some sort of radiation… or chronitons?  It’s hard to get a clear reading on them… half the time it’s like the scanner can’t even find them.  :::he pried Geoff off his face and then got a better look at his fellow companions suspicious faces::  I swear I’m not mad.  They’re there!

He offered the scanner to Hael to prove it.  If the bugs had absorbed some sort of radioactive juju, could it push them out of the typical visual spectrum?  He *did* have unique eyes.  He was wishing he was an actual engineer at this point so he could figure out what all this meant… the scanner was half reading them, but at a hyper-accelerated sort of rate.  Was it broken?

Was *he* broken?

He didn’t have any error messages in his visual field.

Had to be the bugs.

Hael/Ya’faemi/Velix:  ?

~*~

Ensign Ozai Y’zyr