NPC Captain Monroe - The Curious Bunch

Aine Sherlock

Aug 19, 2022, 3:11:18 PM8/19/22
to sb11...@googlegroups.com
((OOC: Changed/added to some of the narrative to make things fit, does not affect the outcome.))

((Bridge, USS Glenn))

Monroe: Welcome one and all, I am Captain Monroe and I want to welcome you aboard the USS Glenn.

Vargas: ::quietly:: Thank you...

She gave the hesitant young lady a nod of acknowledgement. Many visiting officers often remained quiet during tours like this, but Monroe appreciated those who were willing to step up and speak. She turned and queued up a display on the viewscreen that showed orthographic images of the Glenn. Gesturing towards them, as if she were selling them the ship, saying, "This baby can hold so many holodecks."

Monroe: As many of you likely figured out ::giving them all a sly grin:: the Glenn is a Galaxy Class starship, but, what many of you don't know, is just how different she is.

The display changed to a cross sectional view of the saucer.

Monroe: As you can see here ::gesturing towards the viewscreen again:: decks nine and ten are mostly open. Within are a mall and shops, various diplomatic suites, and even holodecks that can be temporarily lived in for visiting dignitaries of various environmental needs.

Renot: ::softly:: Is that even safe?

Vargas: Is the Glenn equipped with holoemitters in sections of the ship?

The first two questions came in rapid fire. The first was an all too common one, and valid. The second, well, no one had asked her about that yet.

Monroe: ::to Renot:: It is actually very safe. The Corps of Engineers have made some great advances the last few years. ::looking towards Vargas:: Holoemitters are present in Sickbay and all the meeting rooms used for diplomatic functions.

Diata: Captain, I have no doubt that this is a marvel of a vessel for those who must reside here, but am I correct in understanding that the Glen’s primary mission is diplomatic in nature?

Renot: Were the Glenn’s power systems refitted to accommodate the different power distributions to the erm.. Changed parts? I know holodecks can cause a strain on some power systems…

All questions would be answered in time, the Captain decided to keep them short and sweet for the time being.

Monroe: ::to Diata:: That is correct, Commander. We are a diplomatic ship, there are some caveats to that. ::to Renot:: The systems are actually non-standard. Experimental if you will.

Diata: And while one would hope diplomatic missions would remain peaceful, I am assuming that the defensive capabilities are intact.

Monroe: Yes, this is actually an interesting part of the Glenn's history. After the first generation of Galaxy's was trialed in space, and after the refits of the Dominion War, it was decided that a few of them would be used only within Federation space. The weapons and shielding systems are those from the war period. It was felt that upgrading them beyond that was not necessary as we were less likely to encounter unknown threats, being as we are not assigned to the frontier.

Renot: Would the amount of holodecks affect the power distribution to defences?

The Ensign seemed curious about the power systems of the Glenn. She could tell he was an Engineer by his line of questioning rather than one of those non-engineers who just happened to be ship nerds.

Monroe: The holodecks are independatly powered. Some of the old lab space that was dedicated to the previous versions of the Galaxy have been replaced with generators to make sure they are fully functional at all times.

Diata: I am curious to know why the specific modifications were made which seem more appropriate for a luxury cruise liner rather than a diplomatic carrier.  It seems frivolous and unnecessary.

Monroe appreciated the bluntness of the Commander. She simply smiled and nodded.

Monroe: It does appear that way. The Glenn's mission is within Federation space. And within the sphere of Federation space, there are many non-members worlds. And that's where we come in. Our job is to facilitate trade and commerce, peacefully, with various member and non-member worlds. Previously, many outside of Starfleet viewed the Galaxy as a threat. And technological marvel that was armed to the teeth. The Glenn was modified to show that technology could be used to make others feel accepted and comfortable. Showing that we were more than willing to adapt to their needs.

Diata/Renot/Vargas: ?

Monroe: It's a more subtle way of negotiating. By making representatives feel more at home, they often feel more compelled to listen and negotiate.

Diata/Renot/Vargas: ?

Monroe: The Glenn is really a testbed. For Engineering ::gesturing to Renot:: technology and upgrades for the future, all the way to new tactics and methods of diplomacy. A return, if you will, to pre-war methodology.

Diata/Renot/Vargas: ?

tags/TBC

Captain Monroe
Commanding Officer