Lt. JG Peters -- Stranger Things Have Happened

chythar skyfire

Apr 30, 2015, 8:28:18 PM4/30/15
to Starbase 118 IC
(( Captain's Ready Room ))
(( Time Index: No Fanfare))

Handley-Page: Any other questions?

Mitchell: None right now sir.

Peters: Not from me, sir.

:: While not exactly true regarding the mission, he did have questions regarding the Albion. With what Mitchells had suggested about the shield emitters, it made him wonder about the shield harmonics and how he could improve them before they actually got underway into the cloud. There was only so many questions he felt comfortable asking. ::

::The meeting broke up, and Cadfael slowly exited the office. It felt like he was there, but not there at the same time. On the one hand, he was acknowledged and welcomed properly. On the other hand, it was a group in which he didn't feel entirely secure in the group. Rix he was going to have to get to know eventually, but it didn't seem like the right time. ::

(( Outside the Ready Room ))

Handley-Page: You alright, Mr Peters?

Peters: Hm? What? No...just thinking.

Handley-Page: Thinking what?

Peters: You...you don't want to know. :: He bit his lip, not having the right kind of words to explain why he kept so much to himself. ::

:: The commander bit his lip, a gesture that Cadfael had come to recognize as a 'something's wrong and I want you to tell me what it is' type look. He may not have been good at reading people, but that was a look he was very familiar with by now. ::

Handley-Page: If it is worrying you, then I very much want know.

Peters: The nutshell version: my last posting was rather complicated and left me feeling ostracized from most of the crew. The only positive thing to come out of that was my hearing getting fixed in my left ear.

:: Leo gestured that he and Peters should adjourn somewhere more private. As the others started to disperse, he watched the CO's eyes lock with that of Lt. Commander Falcon and give a faint nod. Then he followed Commander Handley-page to a quiet alcove. ::

Peters: Why do you ask?

Handley-Page: In fact, Lieutenant, I wanted to speak to you privately. I didn’t want to mention it in front of the others, but I am passing an award from your previous ship, the USS Darwin.

:: The Darwin? The ship that left a bad taste in his mouth whenever he thought of it? He got an award for disappearing? That didn't make any sense. ::

Peters: I was there, yes. Not really there, if you catch my drift. :: There was a pause. :: What is it?

Handley-Page: It is the Prometheus Ribbon.

:: Leo handed the small medal from his breast pocket. Cadfael took it carefully and attempted to discern the rationale behind him being awared a medal, studying it for several seconds in silence before he finally spoke. ::

Peters: I don't know what to say. I spent most of my time as part of the away team on the Dunbar trapped not being helpful at all. While I was trapped, I met Dr. Pon Pon. :: It felt wierd saying only half the name. :: At the time, he was stationed aboard the Gemini.

Handley-Page: As you have some prior experience of the potential pitfalls of what we may face in this next mission, I wanted to talk to you first without making you an unintended magnet for questions from others should they see you get this ribbon in public. I am sorry for doing this without fanfare.

Peters:  In regards to not making a big deal out of it, I accept the rationale. However, if I can just correct you on a minor point here?

Handley-Page: Tag

Peters: Since I spent most of my time caught in a subspace pocket, what level of potential pitfalls do you think I could advise you on?

Handley-Page: Tag

:: He listened thoughtfully and pondered over what he was hearing, attempted to pry information out of his addled brain. The Dunbar was caught in an anomaly and needed to get a tow out of it. Stranger things had happened. ::

Peters: Understood. How can I help?

Handley-Page: Tag

===
Lieutenant JG Cadfael Peters