Commodore Taybrim - Home Safe

Jamie LeBlanc

Apr 12, 2022, 9:11:52 PM4/12/22
to SB118

((Bridge – USS Aegis))

Scientific explanations were, in fact, a strong suit for Sal Taybrim.  That was his sneaky science officer background.  His mother had always hoped he would become a world-class scientist.  She would just have to settle for a sector commanding Commodore instead.

The last time he had visited her she hadn’t quite known how to take that.  His mother had blamed Starfleet for the death of her Imzadi, forcing her to ‘settle’ for a lesser man in his father.  And Brenna Taybrim had counted herself cursed when she didn’t have one single daughter.  Yet all three boys turned out well.  Including the two in Starfleet.

Oh sure, Sal had played her game for a while, working as a civilian scientist, but the call to do more, and do better bit him strongly.  He joined Starfleet with a counselling degree but was quickly nabbed for his scientific background.  Diplomat, executive officer, commanding officer, sector command.  He had found his plane on StarBase 118.

And now his mother had to admit that she was wrong, and she was proud.  That was a nice fluff for his ego, he did admit.

But yes, that scientific background did come in handy.

Taybrim: =/\= We are bouncing this signal through the anomaly.  It tracks that we need the anomaly open on both ends to bring you back through.=/\=

Kasun: =/\= We figured the same. =/\=

Taybrim: =/\=Commander Kasun, How long until the Rahuba is able to travel through the anomaly?

Kasun: =/\= We are technically ready to travel when all of our crew is back on board. =/\=

That backup up everyone strong suspicion that there had been a considerable overlap.

Taybrim: =/\=And will the Si’laan be able to follow you?=/\=

She raised an eyebrow.  The same expression from last shore leave.

Kasun: =/\= I think so? I would need to check in with Hael to be sure. Also their Speaker will need to be consulted of course. =/\=

Of course they had free will, though the timeline contamination would be (ironically) lessened by having the ship follow them.

Taybrim: =/\= I would not decide for another.  My only recommendation is that it is safer for all involved to have them follow you.  Nonetheless we are ready to receive you when the crew is back onboard. =/\=

He let the commline close, and it was time to wait.

So wait they did.  His bridge crew enjoyed a pleasant discussion with elder Pa’rhi.  Though it was still difficult to command so many moving parts to keep everyone safe and give every part autonomy.  That was one of the most difficult decisions for a commanding officer – when to enforce a command and when to let someone decide for themselves, even if the decision was not optimal.

Time passed.  Decisions were made.  The Si’laan would follow the Rahuba.

Sal straightened and gathered his team to get them both through safely.

Taybrim: Get ready, we need to catch the ships as soon as they appear and make sure they are not caught in a time current.

Zel: Strap in, folks.

Voleer: It’s a good idea.  It’s going to be bumpy for sure.

The little Bajoran/Cardassian hybrid grinned at Voleer, deciding he liked the new guy.

Sherlock: Elder, is there anything you can tell us about the Si'laan? Specifications?

Pa'rhi: You wish to have specifications?

Sherlock: Size? Mass? Those sorts of things?

Pa'rhi: Yes, I can give them if you like.

Pa’rhi provided what she could – and it was plenty to work from.  The loaded the specifications into the Aegis computer and soon the tractor beam was calibrated to assist both ships.

And then there was a flash of brilliant golden light, and the saucer section of the familiar Rahuba started to come into view, hazy from the ionic interference that spiked on the sensors, but visible.

Taybrim: There’s the Rahuba!  Grab her!

Sherlock and Voleer moved with synchronized precision, to pulled the Rahuba through the anomaly.  The ship didn’t look very damaged at all, which was a mark in their favor.  And sure enough, soon she was free and heading over on her own power.

Next came the Si’laan.  If the small shuttle Pa’rhi had traveled in was a marvel, this ship was astounding.  Organic, endlessly old, scarred and yet enduring.

This was the more difficult ship by far to guide through the anomaly.  But when all was said and done, three ships sat on this side of the Jenatris cloud, ready to fly on their own again.

Yael:  ::to Pa’rhi::  Once we’re finished with the complications concerning the anomaly, I’d *love* to have a social exchange.

Pa’rhi: As would I, my friend.  ::She stated happily.::  As would I.

Meanwhile Sal was getting confirmations of all systems go, and positive reports from the Rahuba.  The crew was alive and safe and they had saved countless Risu.

Taybrim: Elder Pa’rhi, I am pleased to report that the Si’laan is safe and you’ll be able to contact them as soon as you like.  ::he paused and looked towards the crew on the bridge.:: Lieutenant Sherlock, Ensign Voleer, you have done excellent work on short notice, thank you!

He settled back and considered the bridge.

Taybrim: we’ll have some down time when we arrive back at StarBase 118, so I would like to personally invite you all to join me for conversation and a more casual welcome at Keal’s Pub when we return!

Because there was nothing the ginger Betazoid loved more than talking with new friends – except possibly talking with old friends.

~*~
~fin~
~*~

Commodore Sal Taybrim
Commanding Officer
StarBase 118 Ops

"Why do we fly? Because we have dreamt of it for so long that we must"

~Julian Beck

E239010ST0