BACKSIM: Lt. Cmdr. Alora DeVeau - "Undesirable Suspicion"

1 view

Amanda Nordstrom

Oct 18, 2021, 1:35:15 PM10/18/21
to StarBase 118 Ops – UFOP: StarBase 118

((Betazed - Lumie Family Home))

Loros and Brenna Taybrim had come to visit the newest Matriarch of the 15th house Betazed.  It was a weird situation, especially since that Matriarch wasn’t Betazoid.  Who ever heard such a thing?  No one.  As far as one could go back in the annals of history, the matriarch had always been at least half Betazoid.  So yes, there had been hybrids, but someone completely foreign?  No.

And yet, there she was, a human among the Betazoids, far less qualified for the position that hse held, and it still made absolutely no sense.  Technically, as Kalin’s widow, she would have been ‘in line’, but Enzada?  She made sure of it.  And the full repercussions of it had yet to be seen.  But Alora couldn’t dwell on that at the moment.  She had guests, and those guests needed her full attention.  Considering the society she was in, that focus was on a specific guest - that of Brenna Taybrim.

DeVeau: ~ I understand you’re also a physician, specifically a pediatrician. ~

There was a nod followed by more detail.

Brenna: ~I am.  I prefer to work with children because they give me joy, but I have a full background on pharmacology and research into unusual diseases and ailments.~

There was another smile.  Children gave her joy.  That told Alora a lot about the woman.  Yes, children did bring joy, and Alora loved children as well.  They had that in common.  She had spent time with Saavok even before she and Saveron had become a couple.  She enjoyed Milly and wanted to spend more time with her and Tyva.  In fact, she had plans she wanted to implement when they returned if she could.  If not right away, then soon.

DeVeau: ~I love children.~  ::She paused briefly.::  ~I did not realise your specialties were so extensive.~
Brenna: ~And I take it you have a background in the sciences as well?~

DeVeau: ~Yes.  Botany and Zoology, though I did serve as a medical officer for a few months.  Mainly in research, but I spent time helping in sickbay as well.~

That had been a strange few months, but Alora had also been grateful for the experience.  It showed her how closely the two departments really interacted, and even allowed her to see more possibilities of collaboration.

Brenna: ~Sal tells me you have a research project here on Betazoid as well?~

Alora cast a glance over at Sal.  Betazoids were extremely open and rarely hid information from each other.  She knew that.  She also knew that Sal would hide information from anyone he didn’t trust, and if it was particularly sensitive.  However, these weren’t just people.  These were Taybrims. If Alora couldn’t trust anyone, it was Sal.

DeVeau: ~That’s a mild way of putting it.  I want to look into Enzada’s death.~

Brenna: ~Oh really?~

There it was, an invitation.  The woman’s curiosity was piqued. Well, Alora knew she wanted to get more eyes on the situation, and here was her first opportunity.  Rising, she made a vague gesture.

DeVeau: ~Just a moment, please.~

With that, Alora quickly strode from the room.

Taybrims (if you wish): ?

Alora made her way out of the drawing room and over into Enzada’s...her office.   The great wooden desk was the centrepiece, a mastery of artwork and joinery skill, and it was to that particular piece of furniture that she went.  Plucking a PADD from where it sat atop it, she made her way back to the room with her guests, tapping upon the screen to unlock it and bring up the information she desired before she offered it to Brenna.

DeVeau: ~This is Enzada’s autopsy.  I’ve looked over it, and I haven’t *seen* anything that indicates foul play, but I just can’t shake this feeling.~

Taybrims: ?

Lowering herself back into her seat, Alora sighed softly.  She hadn’t really wanted to delve into unpleasantness, but Sal had shared and while she could be completely and totally dense, Alora had caught on to the indication that Brenna Taybrim wanted to know.  And perhaps to help.

DeVeau: ~I could be completely off the rails, but if you look at Enzada’s last physical four months prior, there was *nothing* that would have brought about her death.  She was extremely healthy.~

Was Alora naturally a suspicious person?  She didn’t consider herself so, but this just didn’t feel right.  Then again, maybe she was becoming a suspicious person.  Maybe she’d seen too much.

Taybrims: ?

Another glance was cast toward Sal, as if, perhaps, checking to see if he thought her sanity was intact.  Alora was beginning to doubt it wasn’t at least cracked.  Maybe it was.  Or maybe it was simply foolishness that was driving her forward with this idea.

DeVeau:~ From what I’ve seen...there’s nothing to indicate that something  unnatural occurred but...if you’re willing to take some time and delve more deeply into this, I would be most grateful.   The more eyes on it, the better.~

Even if it simply confirmed that her suspicion was unfounded, Alora would certainly feel better about it.  Enzada’s death had been so sudden, so unexpected, particularly for a woman who was in good health.  Then again, stranger things *had* happened.  Was she seeing ghosts when all it was were simply the shadows of sorrow that clouded her thinking?

Honestly, Alora hoped she was wrong.  She wanted to be wrong.  All her preliminary study indicated she was completely incorrect and totally mistaken.  So why couldn’t she push away the feeling that something was being missed?  She didn’t expect any discoveries right away.  If something *had* been done, it wouldn’t be obvious. Which was why she wanted access to more people - and she herself wanted to dig into it over at the station.

Taybrims: ?

--
Lt. Cmdr. Alora DeVeau
First Officer