Commodore Taybrim - Awards and Changes

Jamie LeBlanc

Oct 14, 2021, 8:18:23 PM10/14/21
to SB118

((Commodore’s Briefing Room, StarBase 118))
(Time index: After shore leave)

This was a big briefing room.

Big was putting it mildly.  It had been a sector command conference room, but the majority of the Admiralty and other high officials had moved to Raskor, which was better defended and much farther within Federation boundaries.  That left a big open state room that was unused.

And Admiral Hauke had swooped in to make use of unused spaces and give her favorite Commodore more rooms to do his job better.  His new job.  That bridge between StarBase 118 day to day and the Starfleet brass on Raskor.  He was now Sector Command on StarBase 118.

It was a large room with a panel of outward facing windows, all paneled with exotic hardwood paneling and carpeted in a rich Starfleet red.  The table was polished hardwood from the knotwood forests of Viridian VI, renowned for its brilliant colors and intricate patterns.  The lights were gentle hanging orbs of gold that cast a pleasant, formal, dreamlike hue to the entire table.  The chairs were plush, and there was a fireplace to one end with a couch, two loveseats, several other chairs and a coffee table as well as a wetbar and replicator station.

It was impressive.  Sal was almost embarrassed at how luxurious it was.  Embarrassed and yet flattered.  Hauke had commissioned the best, and her taste was impeccable.

That and this entire room was filled to the brim with state-of-the-art security and intel upgrades.  All cleverly and artistically hidden in the luxurious design of the room.  It was one of the most secure places in the entire Trinity Sector, passed off as a very swanky meeting room.

It was early in the morning, and there was much to talk about.  Talk about, celebrate, recognize and enjoy.  There were many delicious breakfast options available from quiche to savory vegan biscuits to sweet pastries and breakfast drinks from several worlds.

Sal greeted his senior staff as they entered the massive briefing room with a smile, giving everyone time to settle in and enjoy some food and conversation before he got things started.

Finally the hour arrived and he called the meeting to order.

Taybrim: I want to thank everyone for joining me so early.  We have quite a few things to go through, but I am glad that we could take the chance to gather.  ::He smiled readily and stood at the front of the table.:: I wanted to start by recognizing the actions taken by this crew to protect innocent civilians, rescue fellow crewmates and to bring a bunch of opportunistic pirates to justice.  To recognize the tremendous dangers and heroic acts taken by everyone who was miniaturized and taken by pirates, Starfleet recognizes Alora DeVeau, Arturo Maxwell, Ishani Kasun, Isaiah Andrews, Drevas Matthel, Prudence Blackwell, Ariana Amaase, Sheila Bailey, Ashley Yael and Tatash with the Prisoner of War ribbon.  ::He paused, personally giving a gaze to each and every person.:: I am never happy to give such awards because they ride on the back of traumatic experiences, but you all were incredibly brave in the face of adversity and I am very proud to say that you persevered and overcame, protecting the civilians you had with you.

Any: ?

Taybrim: Furthermore I want to recognize those who went above and beyond.  Sheila Bailey, for being a voice of calm in the storm and helping keep your civilian companion safe and grounded, I am proud to recognize you with the Unity Ribbon.

And he meant that.  While Sal was never happy giving out Purple Hearts or POW ribbons, he was intensely proud watching his crew grow, become stronger and be able to navigate dangerous situations in ways that protected others.

Bailey: ?

Any: ?

Taybrim: Ariana Amaase, you were also a grounding port in the storm for your fellow crewmates, helping aid the injured.  Your background in counseling shines through in everything you do and this is intensely valuable to your crew.  I am proud to recognize you with the Unity Ribbon as well.

Amaase: ?

Any: ?

Taybrim: Prudence Blackwell and Tatash – both of you fought against threats that may have been hardly an issue were everyone normal sized, but became magnified by the orb’s effects.  You distinguished yourselves by sacrificing for your teams and banded together to protect others.  For this I am proud to recognize you both with the Captain’s Commendation.

Tatash/Blackwell: ?

Any: ?

Taybrim: Ashley Yael – you navigated a difficult situation with an adolescent pirate using words instead of actions to diffuse a situation which ended up saving your crewmates and also turning a young life around and hopefully towards a better future.  For this I am proud to recognize your efforts with the Diplomacy Ribbon.

Again, one of the things Sal was the most proud of – to find a non-violent way out of situations was difficult in the best of times.

Yael: ?

Any: ?

Taybrim: Drevas Matthel, you and Commander Dal led and protected a large group of civilians, keeping them safe throughout their journey until they could be rescued.  For this I am pleased to recognize you with the Joint Meritorious Unit Award.

Drevas: ?

Any: ?

He drew in a breath, looking at the next in the list, imagining the terror it would cause to fight something that would be far less threatening if you were your regular size, but terrifying if you were only a few centimeters tall.

Taybrim:  Isaiah Andrews – for ::there was a slight hint of humor behind Sal Taybrim’s sober face:: wrestling a giant lizard away from your companions, which protected the lives of others I am proud to recognize your bravery with the Good Conduct Ribbon.

A potentially crazy tale, but there was no denying the Security Officer’s bravery.

Andrews: ?

Any: ?

Taybrim: Ishani Kasun, for taking on a giant with a tiny spear, you also served bravely and protected the lives of your crewmates.  I am proud to recognize your bravery with the Good Conduct Ribbon.

Kasun: ?

Any: ?

Taybrim: And our rescuers – Solaris McLaren, Talas Beck – thank you both for being so quick to investigate and steadfast to help your fellow crew.  For your quick efforts to get through the pirate ship’s shields I am proud to recognize you both with the Innovation Ribbon.

McLaren/Talas: ?

Any: ?

He drew in a breath and looked about the room.

Taybrim: I know, all too well, the dangers of our positions in Starfleet.  One never expects to be shrunk at a gala for archaeological artifacts and kidnapped by pirates, but thank you all for performing well under pressure.  You made the difference that saved lives, and you have my utmost respect and gratitude.

Any: ?

With a soft smile he straightened himself.

Taybrim: I have two warm welcomes.  Please welcome back Lt Commander Nijil, who returns from his extended mission to Rekarian space.  Nijil, I am so glad to have you back with us.

Which was absolutely true.  Sal had come to trust and rely upon Nijil’s support and sober advice.

Nijil: ?

Any: ?

Taybrim: And please also welcome back Lieutenant Taelon, returning from a short leave.  ::he smiled to his El Aurian friend.:: Always glad to have you back with us.

Taelon and Sal had been through so much together and he valued his longtime friend’s company and creative ideas.  Even when those ideas led to explosions.

Taelon: ?

Any: ?

Another deep breath, he looked around the room.  Now it was time for the big announcement.

Taybrim: And next I have a fairly major update for everyone.  ::he drew in a breath:: I have had a lot of conversations after the last mission, some with you, some with Admiral Hauke, many with the up and coming leadership of StarBase 118.  It is clear that with our last mission to Qo’noS my role in sector politics and leadership has changed.  This is only reinforced by my rank of Commodore.  And I can either rail against it and become an ever growing target for easy assassination, or I can accept it and start to make a transition.  And I don’t like to fight against fate.  ::A pause, he let that sink in.:: Make no mistake, I am not leaving any of you, nor will I be leaving StarBase 118.  But, my hand needs to focus on sectorwide issues.  Politics between the Klingon Empire, the Romulans, the Gorn Hegemony, the Independent Sectors and the ever present Orion Syndicate are still heated, and while war was averted, there is still a delicate balance in the Trinity Sector and much of that balance rests upon us.  So, it is now my job as Sector Command to rest that concern on my shoulders.

Any: ?

Taybrim: We still need day to day heroes to rescue civilians from pirates, investigate shenanigans, provide relief efforts and all the things we do when we’re not meddling in quadrant-wide politics.  And to address this – I am officially placing Commander Ishreth Dal as Commanding officer of StarBase 118 under my supervision.  Commander Dal and Commander DeVeau will handle the day to day operations of the StarBase, including your upcoming mission.

That seemed so strange.  Strange and yet natural.  Here he was now in Hauke’s role, giving the crew orders for another set of command officers to carry out.  It was surreal.  And yet it also filled him with pride.

Any: ?

Taybrim: Before we begin the briefing, I wanted to give some time for you to ask questions.  I hope this transition does not seem like too much of a shock, but I want to make it as smooth as possible.

Any: ?

~*~
tags/tbc
~*~

Commodore Sal Taybrim
Commanding Officer (Sector Command)
StarBase 118 Ops

"Why do we fly? Because we have dreamt of it for so long that we must"

~Julian Beck

E239010ST0