Lt. Cmdr. Alora DeVeau - "Be Prepared"

Amanda Nordstrom

Jun 18, 2022, 1:03:34 AM6/18/22
to StarBase 118 Ops – UFOP: StarBase 118

((USS Narendra, Hallway, Deck 3))

The phaser fell heavily against her hip.  The device was not particularly large, and if one were to calculate its way, one would find it rather odd that such a thing would be perceived as a particularly weighty burden, but for Alora, it was.  It was a reminder of what they were dealing with.  A reminder of who they were up against.  A reminder of the stakes involved.   She hopefully wouldn’t need it, she was going over to help with evacuations after all, but she also had to be prepared for anything.

Twenty three thousand people.  That was the number of passengers on that vessel.  Twice as many as had perished on Utopia.  Terra Prime was setting its sights bigger.  It was exponential.  The ship had twice as many, but Betazed had over a billion.  And if they succeeded, Terra Prime would only move on to bigger things.  Worse things.  It wouldn’t be one billion.  It wouldn’t stop there.  The numbers would become countless, and the devastation almost too much to bear.  They couldn’t let that happen.  They wouldn’t let that happen.  Alora inhaled deeply and inclined her head to the transporter chief who stood there, waiting.  He was going to have to wait a little longer, though.  She wasn’t going over alone.

The other officers had been ordered to report to the hallway outside of the main transporter rooms on Deck 3, and it was there she waited.  Waited and tried very hard not to think of what would happen if Terra Prime wasn’t stopped.  At the end of the hallway, the doors opened and the first team arrived.  Alora inclined her head and managed  wan half smile.

DeVeau: =/\=DeVeau to Dal, Bailey, and Blackwell.=/\=

Dal/Bailey/Blackwell: ?

So much was at stake, and they weren’t dealing with just themselves, but other people.  People that were likely frightened and not sure what was going on.  That was a lot just by itself.

DeVeau: =/\=I trust you are ready to begin evacuations. =/\=

Alora knew what the answer was, and it was confirmed almost immediately.

Dal/Bailey/Blackwell: =/\= ?

DeVeau: =/\=Then I leave it to you.=/\=

She paused as if to say more.  She wanted to say more.  But what could she really say?  They all knew their duty, they knew what they had to accomplish, and nothing she could say would really help.

DeVeau: =/\=DeVeau out.=/\=

Just as the commlink closed, the doors at the end of the hallway opened, and Luthas, Renot, and Sherlock headed straight toward her.  Alora inclined her head as they approached.

DeVeau: Captain, Lieutenant, Ensign.  Find that bomb, diffuse it quickly, and then get out of there.

That was their goal, but could they do it?  If anyone could, it was them.  Alora’s green eyes flicked from one to the other, hoping they could accomplish it.  If not…well, they were going to have to find an alternative.  But she couldn’t think like that.  They had the best of the best.

Luthas/Sherlock/Renot: ?

DeVeau: Transporter room three.  Good luck, all of you.

Luthas/Sherlock/Renot: ?

Another group made its way into the assigned room.  Alora waited only a moment more before more officers arrived, this time in the form of Trovek and Noxwyn.  There was a quick, polite nod, but then Alora turned and aimed for transporter room four, beckoning the other two to follow.

DeVeau: We’ll be helping with the evacuations. We're not sure how much people know about the situation, but be prepared to fence questions and concerns.

Noxwyn/Trovek: ?

Inside, a transporter tech waited, tapping at his console, likely working on calculations.  He didn’t even spare a glance in their direction, far too engaged with what he was doing, and likely because he wanted to make sure they were all safe.  They were coming up alongside the Belladonna in the next few minutes.  From there, they would have to match warp speed, do some careful calculations, and only then could they start the process.  But the Narendra wasn't alone.  She couldn’t carry all the passengers, so they were one among several who would have to offer sanctuary.  That only increased the juggling act that had to be done.

DeVeau: We’ll start at the port bow, and make our way back.  We’re not quite up to speed yet.

Noxwyn/Trovek: ?

DeVeau: For now, we wait until the ships match speed.  Until then, any questions?

Noxwyn/Trovek: ?

--
Lt. Cmdr. Alora DeVeau
First Officer