Lt. JG Sera - So you want to owe a Vulcan a favor...

Hope Forster

Nov 11, 2022, 1:15:33 PM11/11/22
to sb11...@googlegroups.com

((Temporary Quarters of Sera, USS Narendra))

Sera:  ::tilting her head slightly in a Vulcan version of a nod::  You honor me with your visit. Please, explain what I can do for you?

Sera observed Sherlock take a large, expeditious swallow of the presented water, much in the same way she had noticed officers take something called a ‘shot’ during the handful of celebratory functions around award ceremonies.  It was an unusual response here, and Sera put it into a ‘review box’ in her mind to consider at a later time.

The glass was hastily (in Sera’s estimation) put down, and then Sherlock placed her satchel onto the table and slowly unwrapped it in a manner that made Sera postulate that it was something either exceptionally fragile or dangerous…annnd….it was the latter.  A small Bajoran phaser, and from her quick visual perusal it did not appear to be standard issue.

Sherlock: I was wondering if you could modify this for me?

Sera: ::both brows raising at the object in Sherlock’s hand:  A Bajoran phaser.  …You want me to modify alien technology.  ::it was not a question.::

Sherlock: I got it on Bajor. Our contact gave it to me. But, I think it's been modified once before.

Sera: ::looking from the phaser to Sherlock’s face::  And how have you determined this?

Sherlock: It doesn't seem to have a stun setting.

Sera extended her hand in a gesture for Sherlock to hand the weapon over.  She took it with the consideration the weapon deserved and looked it over in a clinical manner, studying the interface, ejecting the battery, and in essence clearing the weapon in a methodical process that denoted a fairly comfortable familiarity with sidearms.

Sera: ::still inspecting the phaser::  Your assessment is correct.  The weapon has already been modified, and not in a very competent manner.  With that said…what exactly do you wish to have me do with this?  Replace the internal components with Starfleet technology or…?  ::completing her visual inspection and placing the phaser back on top of the satchel::

She hoped that Sherlock wanted something a little more complicated than that, she really did.  Tamping down the slight bubble of anticipation at the very thought of getting her fingers on this rather unusual, and therefore interesting side project, Sera waited patiently for the Lieutenant’s response.

Sherlock:  Response

Sera:  So, you are asking me to violate Starfleet mandates regarding the unauthorized modification of a non-regulation phase weapon.

Sherlock:  Response

Sera:  The very fact that you have researched and devised a way around this aforementioned regulation denotes cognizance that what you have asked me does violate this ruling.  Although, for the sake of transparency, I found your rationale around the regulation in question quite…fascinating.

Sherlock:  response

Sera:  ::scrambling to stand, and her eyes widened in slight panic:: Desist.  I did not say I would not modify the Bajoran phaser. I was merely clarifying the substantiality of this favor you are requesting of me. Favors are not dissimilar from that of a promise, and my family has a saying about promises.  Promises are prisons; do not make yourself another’s jailer, Lieutenant.

Sherlock:  response

Sera:  I believe you may find I can be quite mercenary…for the appropriate reasons.  ::motioning to the phaser::  This will be a most stimulating project.  If we are in agreement, then I accede to your request for a favor owed.

Sherlock:  response

tags/TBC

--

Lt. JG Sera