Lt. JG Tito: Where to beam a bomb?

Bruno Abreu

Aug 5, 2022, 3:21:59 PMAug 5
to StarBase 118 Ops a Star Trek PBEM RPG
((USS Narendra, Bridge))

For the moment the Commodore’s mind seam settled, it looked to Tito that he was exposing his concerns over the warp bubble both ships were travelling, and why they should break free of it.

Tito: What else can we do, Commodore?

Taybrim: Slower doesn’t mitigate the risk of collision.  A steady speed and steady course is the only things that will keep us safe in this warp bubble.  Any change whatsoever puts us at risk for a collision.

Aristren: We cannot, in fact, match your experience, Commodore, so I am inclined to rely on it.

Tito knew the challenge in front of the Commodore, Aritren’s words felt like a pat in the back so he went to the more practical issue.

Tito: Why don’t you get a report from the away team? It might help to get a clearer picture.

Taybrim: Yes, I agree, let’s talk to our team before I make the final call.

Tito nodded. Hopefully they had more news.

Aristren: response

Taybrim: Put them though.

In the next second the voice of their new Tactical Officer was on the other line of the comline.

Sherlock: =/\= Sherlock to Taybrim. =/\=

Taybrim: =/\= Taybrim here, Lieutenant. =/\=

Sherlock: =/\= We've got some good news, Commodore. The bomb is deactivated. =/\=

Taybrim: =/\= That is excellent news!=/\=

They got it. Tito allowed himself a smile, a small breach in his cold posture.

Luthas: =/\= It’s no longer technically live FYI but the explosives and tri cobalt are still here. If they’re shot they’d still be set off. =/\=

Taybrim: =/\= Still, a good outcome for now, it gives the Belladonna maneuvering ability.=/\=

Sherlock: =/\= Recommend we transport the tricobalt and explosives off the Belladonna as well. =/\=

The Commodore rocketed around as he spoke.

Taybrim: =/\= We have a working theory on how we can complete that safely. =/\=

Luthas: =/\= Once the bomb is transported, what do you want us to do? =/\=

Taybrim: =/\= The Belladonna should drop speed so we can assess the damage.  But, the Narendra should leave the Belladonna’s warp bubble before there is any change in the impulse power or change in speed.  Otherwise we risk a collision=/\=

Sherlock: =/\= response

Pausing at the side talk Tito wondered what next would the Commodore do.

Taybrim: =/\= In order to teleport the bomb off the ship we need a transwarp capable engineer.  Is Ensign Renot available? =/\=

Luthas/Sherlock: response

Now that the bomb was inactive, they could carry on with normal transport for the passengers evacuation. And yes getting that bomb as further away as possible would be a great, and less riskier, test of the transwarp transport theory.

However, that might pose a new challenge. Where to drop it?
Tito turned to Aristren

Tito: I could use your help Lieutenant.

Aristren: response

Taybrim: =/\= It depends on how critical the impulse drive is.  If the shutdown needs to be immediate, we should move away and then rejoin the warp bubble to pull the bomb off.  Otherwise we could transport the bomb off and then break away. =/\=

Luthas/Sherlock: ?

Tito set up a wider scan of the surrounding sector of space they were on.
Lowering his voice he turned to Aristren.

Tito: According to the theory we can transport the bomb almost to another quadrant. I don’t think we need to get it that far, but we have to find a safe spot for it.

Aristren: response

Taybrim: =/\= Yes, we will detonate the bomb once it is off the Belladonna and everyone is at a safe range.  Preferably we will transfer the evacuees to the Prophecy first.  The Narendra has enough maneuverability to detonate the bomb and move away without being damaged.  But both the Prophecy and the Belladonna need to be far away from the blast radius and shockwave. =/\=

Luthas/Sherlock: ?

Letting the Commodore chat with the away team he went over a wide scan, explaining to the Lieutenant where he needed her help.

Tito: OK one thing we need is space, which we have plenty of. However we need to find a safe place where the explosion can occur without interfering with any celestial bodies, any trade lines, and naturally further from any systems with living planets. Do you think you can help me find it so we have specific and secure coordinates?

Aristren: response

Taybrim: =/\= Let me talk to Ensign Renot.  In the meantime, Captain Luthas, can you send the scans of the specific bomb specs to Lieutenant Tito so we can calculate how far we’ll have to be from the bomb when we fire, to be able to escape? =/\=

Luthas/Sherlock: ?

Tito raised his head as he joined the conversation

Tito: Ready to receive the data when you are able to send it, Captain Luthas.

Aristren: response

Taybrim: =/\= and we’ll need to know the safe distance for the other ships. =/\=

Luthas/Sherlock: response

Tito turned to the Commodore.

Tito: Me and Lieutenant Aristren are working on finding a suitable place for it. If the theory proves to be right, distance won’t be a problem.

Aristren: response

That was the advantage of transwarp beaming. It was theorised that it could transport a person from one quadrant to another.

Tito: We can get a new detonator for it, and set it to detonate as we materialised it.

Aristren: response

Taybrim/Any: response

Tito again turned to Aristren with a smile and then to the Commodore.

Tito: Now we only need an engineer familiar with transport and a suitable place to drop it.

Aristren: response

Taybrim/Any: response

TAG/TBC

Lt. J. G. Vitor R.S.Tito