Trovek/Trovek - Path of the Prophets - Sileah's Betrayal

Arys Trovek

Sep 12, 2022, 4:55:11 PM9/12/22
to Starbase118
((Aaron's house, Bajor))
Arys had spent a wonderful day with Aaron and his family. She had always pictured her older brother residing in some sort of temple, dedicated to him and their mother Sileah, where he sat clad in a golden robe and enjoyed his days being worshipped by his many wives.
In truth, Aaron lived in a modest farmhouse about an hour away from the nearest village, and while the women here surely adored him, that adoration didn’t free him from his obligation as a father. ]]
It was evening, and the temperature had cooled down considerably, but not unpleasantly so. As the birds sang it to sleep, the last rays of light from Bajor’s sun colored the sky in reds and violets and purples, and here and there stars already sparkled on the dark blue horizon.
The day had certainly been eventful, and Arys felt like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders, though she wasn’t yet free of the most important burdens she was carrying. Aaron seemed to have sensed it as he, after their dinner with his family, invited Arys to the garden to talk in private.
Aaron: You look like you're enjoying the visit. I am very glad for that.
Aaron smiled kindly at her, and he couldn’t be more correct in his assessment. While the dinner had been very different from those in her and Lukin’s home (Lukin would never permit a child to ‘experience the food’ with its hands), it hadn’t been unenjoyable.
Trovek: You’re right. ::she nodded:: I will admit that I didn’t think it would be as pleasant, but I like your family a lot. But…
She hesitated, not sure how to continue. It wasn’t a secret that they disagreed on more things than they agreed on, but speaking about those wasn’t something they were good at.
Trovek: …. Though there was something that bothered me.
He replied with a slight frown, but as always his smile stayed on his lips.
Aaron: May I ask what that is? I am certain we can equate our differences if you allow me to find a solution, and you to have an open mind.
Trovek: For example Hilja. Her age is really none of my business oO Despite me mentioning it… Oo but I am a doctor. She told me that she hasn’t been to a hospital or anything.
And for Arys, that was concerning. But from Aaron’s expression, for him, it seemed hardly worth mentioning.
Aaron: Ah yes. The lovely Hilja, and our recent blessing. ::he smiled:: I am certain that she will have a perfectly healthy child. You doubt too much, sister.
Trovek: It’s not going to be an easy birth, and I know you have your traditions, but this isn’t a Bajoran child. It’s still a hybrid.
Even if Aaron tried to ignore the fact that he was part human.
Aaron: You never bothered to understand our ways. It’s in the hands of the Prophets.
The frustration in his voice was palatable, and part of Arys wanted to snap back and ask him if he really wanted to risk trust when there were ways they could make sure that there were no complications - but how would that get her what she wanted?
Trovek: So what if the Prophets sent me? What harm could it possibly do to have her treated at a hospital when it’s time?
Aaron looked away, his jaw tightened, but as his eyes once more settled on Arys, the smile had returned to his lips.
Aaron: You are right, little sister. Our beliefs don’t mean we can’t see Doctors. Most of the time, we simply avoid them - by my instructions. But…. ::A concerned look flashed through Aaron’s eyes:: If you found Hilja sick…?
Trovek: Not directly, no.
Aaron sighed in relief and made himself more comfortable.
Aaron: Well you scared me there. And she might be younger than me, but she is an adult. And she is very mature.
Arys thought back to Ferri, who was a little older than Hilja, who was also very mature, and who she and Lukin had different opinions on just how much of an adult the young Cardassian should be considered as.
Trovek: Aaron, I’m a doctor. She can be mature as she wants, but the birth might physically be a very difficult one. Human children are larger and heavier than Bajoran children, and with hybrids, you can only tell for sure if it’s monitored. ::she sighed:: All I ask is that you take her to a hospital for the delivery.
Aaron seemed to consider her words and eventually caved.
Aaron: If you are insisting…
Arys nodded, somewhat satisfied with the answer.
Trovek: Good… good… I wouldn’t want my niece, or nephew, to be harmed.
Aaron’s smile widened. He waved his hand, in the direction of both the garden and house.
Aaron: It is as you said, we are family, it is our duty to keep our offspring safe. With the help of the Prophets. ::he paused, then added:: And I will take all the help I can get.
Arys laughed, in wholehearted agreement with that statement. Geleth was a handful, even with all the help Lukin and Ferri offered.
Trovek: I can relate. ::she sighed:: Geleth isn’t difficult, but she’s not easy either. And Ferri is less and more of a challenge at the same time.
Aaron: Geleth, and who is the other one... Ferri?
Trovek: ::nodding:: Yes. Geleth is the little girl we adopted and Ferri… well, he is Lukin’s aide, but she is basically part of the family. She’s Hilja’s age.
Aaron: Tell me about her. I also want to know about my niece.
Arys hesitated for a moment, remembering how private the young Cadassian was. Then again, this wasn’t just anyone - this was her brother, and she doubted him and Ferri would ever meet.
Correction, she would make sure they didn’t meet. He would charm her within seconds.
Trovek: Ferri is… sweet. She is so very Cardassian, but she’s like an older sister to Geleth. Even if…
Aaron: Even if what?
Trovek: Sometimes I wonder if she understands that we care about her, and that we see her as more than a secretary and babysitter ::Arys sighed:: Even if she does watch Geleth quite a lot.
Aaron: And Geleth - Why haven’t you brought her? She would have other children to play with. It would allow your Ferri a break, and I would very much like to meet her.
Trovek: I might. ::she nodded:: But there are some things we need to discuss first.
He raised an eyebrow at that, opening his arms.
Aaron: Such as? Please, speak your mind, sister.
Arys nodded slowly, reclining against the wooden backrest. The sun had set by now, the the cool temperature was no longer pleasant. Still, she didn’t want to return inside, not now that they could finally speak about her reason to seek him out.
Trovek: Do you remember the bracelet you gave me?
Aaron: Yes, I gave it to you the last time we met.
Another nod, another moment of silence.
Trovek: Can you tell me a little more about where you got it from?
Aaron: ::he sighed, clearly unsure where she was going with this, but recounted his tale regardless: I had it made. I saw it in a dream, surely a vision from the Prophets. It was detailed as I dreamed it, and once I held it in my hands, I knew I had to give it to you.
Arys doubted that the Prophets had anything to do with it, but decided not to argue.
Trovek: Did the dream say anything else?
Aaron: They said you would follow its path. It would bring you enlightenment.
Once more, Arys doubted that this was the case. It was her assumption that the bracelet was part of the set of jewellery Geleth’s family had owned, and that perhaps Sileah already had someone sent to monitor them.
Maybe Aaron had given Arys the bracelet to warn her? If so, why wasn’t he saying anything now?
Trovek: I see. ::she sighed and took a deep breath:: When grandfather died, I inherited documents. Documents from Cardassia which stated that Mother worked as a … comfort woman.. for a Cardassian officer, and had a child with him. She left the boy to die of exposure but he was rescued and brought to Cardassia Prime.
Aaron’s smile died on his lips, and there was an odd expression in his eyes. His words came as a hiss.
Aaron: Do you have further evidence of this?
Trovek: ::nodding:: I do. Lukin is an Ambassador, he had ways to find our more about him. He survived the war, moved to Ithic II, and got married.
He gestured for Arys to continue.
Aaron: And have you met him?
She shook her head.
Trovek: He was killed only weeks after I found out about him. His name was Taril.
Aaron frowned. He, too, leaned back in his seat and for a moment he contemplated the garden.
Aaron: How did he die?
Trovek: They were killed. ::it was the first time she could say this out loud, and with absolute certainty. She didn’t believe in an ‘accident’, not with everything she had learned:: Someone broke into their house.
Aaron: Was there any investigation? What happened?
Trovek: There was, but the results are… difficult to come by. All I know is that whoever is responsible set their house on fire, but I don’t know if they died in the fire or were dead already. But we do know that the men seen approaching the house were not Cardassians.
Aaron: How so?
Trovek: Geleth. She is his daughter .
Aaron blinked at the news, though there was no other indication of surprise on his face. If anything, he seemed a bit incredulous of what had been said.
Aaron: She’s our niece… I am glad you took her in, but I am not sure how reliable the words of a six-years old can be.
Trovek: The thing is that… this bracelet you gave me? It’s the exact same make and material as jewellery owned by Geleth’s family. So I ask this again - how did you get the bracelet? Did mother give it to you?
For a moment, he seemed at a loss for words, but as he spoke, his voice left no room for uncertainty.
Aaron: No. It happened as I told you, but…
Trovek: But?
Aaron: I think I understand.
Trovek: What happened?
Aaron looked at the night sky. He spoke softly and slowly.
Aaron: I was having a terrible dream. I saw someone stabbing another person in the back. When I walked closer it was me and mother. Mother was stabbing my back. Then I saw the bracelet. Maybe they are all connected.
Trovek: That…sounds… sorry, I don’t really understand all this stuff with visions and whatever they are supposed to be, but I understand dreams. You said mother has grown… difficult?
Why didn’t he admit to Sileah giving him the bracelet? Arys was offering him her support, she was here to help, and he still covered for her?
Aaron: Yes. Ever since Grandfather died she is getting worse. She is picking on my wives, and disturbing the children, and she tried to betray me… ::he shook his head before Arys could ask what he meant by that:: I am seriously worried about her.
Trovek: I don’t care bout her. I am convinced she killed Taril and his wife. After all, a half-Cardassian child would have ruined her reputation.
Aaron: Yes, it would. ::he sighed:: I love you, Arys, and I would have loved Taril too. What mother has done is unforgivable… but I have to ask you to not share this information with anyone. It would tarnish my own reputation, and it won’t bring Taril back.
Arys was taken aback by that statement. It hadn’t even crossed her mind, and she wasn’t here for petty revenge.
Trovek: No.. I would not… but I am here because of it. What I want is… I don’t know. For you not to… ::she sighed:: ruin your life and follow in her footsteps.
Aaron smiled. He straightened himself on his seat and was back to his almost regal posture.
Aaron: I have been making my own path for some years now. She has no hold over me, I promise you that.
Trovek: If you say so. ::she shook her head, not quite sure if she believed him. Sileah was smart. Sileah was manipulative.::
Aaron: I am. ::he nodded, and eyed his sister up and down:: You’re cold. Let’s get you inside and make you a tea.
Arys nodded and followed him as he got up. Was she happy with how their conversation had gone?
She wasn’t sure.
[End Scene]
Lt. Trovek Arys
Chief Medical Officer