Lt JG Sera - The Hlai Have Come Home to Roost – Part 2

Hope Forster

Mar 11, 2023, 8:06:52 AM3/11/23
to sb11...@googlegroups.com

((Shi’Kahr District - Outer courtyard of the Temple of Amonak))

After speaking the summons, Nalaat turned and walked across the courtyard and through the opened temple doorway.

Giellun:  ::watching the Vulcan male walk through the doorway::  We do not have to…we…we could go elsewhere?

He didn’t know why he said that, really.  He wanted nothing more than to understand just what was going on here..

Sera:  ::resigned::  We must.  I came to this place to seek assistance with what has…occurred between us.  I had only meant to stabilize you…but something…something went wrong.

Giellun: ::harshly replying showing his ties to the Element of Fire::  Something went wrong?  You think?!

Ignoring his retort, Sera stepped through the doorway and halted her momentum as her eyes adjusted to the dimness within.  The priest stepped out of the shadows in front of them and gestured with a tilt of his head for them to follow.

Nalaat:  Follow me.

Sera obeyed and walked further into the gloom of the temple, and Sera crinkled her nose slightly at the heady scent of incense that permeated the space.  She idly wondered how Nalaat functioned in such a dimly lit place as the only light sources were groupings of candles and large coal pots which gave off a rich amber glow.

Giellun followed but was a step behind the Vulcan female.  He wasn’t even sure why he was doing this—

Nalaat:  Both of you kneel.

Sera complied immediately, but she…felt the male’s hesitancy.  She looked up to him and he frowned at her but seeing no other option followed suit and kneeled next to her.

Sera looked up to Nalaat, and the priest tilted his head in silent question.  Nodding once in assent, Sera explained what she had done to him…this man…her phantom…

Sera:  My apologies; I do not know your name to address you appropriately.

Giellun:  ::retorting:: I do not see how important that is right now.  It certainly didn’t stop you from invading my mind!  ::his hands closed into tight fists as he resisted the urge to reach out and shake her…to bring her close—argh!::

Nalaat watched the small exchange with interest, considering how best to…mitigate the damage done here.  The male was angry, yes, and rightfully so…and yet Nalaat also saw the Romulan reach out his hand to touch S’Ers-a only to pull it back and push his palm flat on the top of his thigh.  Fascinating.

Nalaat:  I request your thoughts, Osu. <<sir>>

Giellun:  ::aghast::  What, so you can do something worse?!

Nalaat:  This female’s motivation was noble in purpose; however, her technique was obviously…subpar.  I need to assess the…damage caused.  I would like to help you both if I can.

Giellun wanted to rant against this, but knew he had no other choice.  Something was very off inside of him…had been since the bombing.  If this priest could help?  He would allow it.

Nalaat observed the small nod of assent and stepped forward and reached out to the pathways on his face and quickly forged a link to adequately assess the situation.

It was a difficult thing to put into words what he saw inside Giellun’s mind.  There were healing wounds everywhere.  This was a man who should not be in the world of the living and yet…he was.  Because of S’Ers-a.  The threads ran through him in a jumble and back to her, a Gordian knot – a problem insoluble in its own terms…but there was something else…Beyond the graft work was a spark, a small flame just beginning to grow.  What a most unfortunate coincidence.  Nalaat saw such an attachment as a curse in his mind.  To DESIRE.  Such vulnerability!  Illogical.

What Sera had performed was a desperate plan initiated in extremis, but she had neither the training nor control to perform such meld with success.  A foolish act, perhaps, but quite selfless.  Nalaat’s hand dropped from his face, and he stood between them.

Nalaat:  ::not unkindly::  I cannot undo this.  It would mean your death, Osu.

Sera looked up to Nalaat and her shoulders slunk.  She looked away from the priest and her phantom so they wouldn’t see that she could not hide the stricken expression on her face.

Nalaat:  ::continuing::  Yet neither of you can remain in this state.

Nalaat looked past the two to the shadows, silently contemplating what could be done, what should be done.  He looked back down to the two kneeling before him and nodded once having come to a decision.

Nalaat:  Very well.  There is no other logical option.  This…connection must be stabilized.  ::reaching out to both of their faces::

Giellun jolted backwards, falling off his knees and onto the backs of his hands and his rear.

Giellun:  Wait!  What are you doing?

Nalaat:  ::looking at him with an expression he would give a small child::  What must be done.  To your knees, Osu.

Giellun frowned at the priest, knowing he was being petulant – but to take orders from a Vulcan!  Gritting his teeth—and against his better judgement—he complied.

Nalaat stepped forward in between the two and his hands reached out to the appropriate neural nodes on both of their faces.

Nalaat:  ::In high Vulcan::  Ra du nam-tor pa' tor veshtaya sarlah ne' s' wuh wak t' wuh palikaya, rik' rubah.  Nash tor wuh Vuhlkansu khaf-spol.  Nash tor wuh Vuhlkansu katra.  Nash nam-tor etwel yut.  Kah-if-farr…

TBC

Lieutenant JG Sera

Engineering Officer

SB 118 Ops