Lt. JG. Haukea-Willow: Some say it will end in fire, others in ice.

Aly Drolet

Jul 1, 2024, 3:07:16 PM (4 days ago) Jul 1
to sb11...@googlegroups.com

((Distribution Station, Biodome 2B, Miri IVa))

They didn’t have to wait long for the equipment to be beamed down. A protective jacket each, as suggested by Lt. Willow, and a frost-thrower, courtesy of Ensign T’Reyna and three torch sticks, on the recommendation of Adjunct Myran.

Fairhug: ::Donning his jacket, Gogi grabbed the frost-thrower and walked over to the Deltan:: Adjunct, I believe you should do the honors.

Myran: ::Gingerly slipping her arm into the protective jacket she took the frost-thrower from the Commander, with a short, but heartfelt nod:: Thank you, Commander.

The Adjunct was equipped with the heavy piece of equipment; Frost-thrower. A rudimentary mechanism poised with a simple point and shoot system. Willow, T’Reyna and Fairhug, took up the use of the torch sticks, axes, small, one-handed, designed for ice picking or mountain climbing.

It appeared, though Haukea would not have had it any other way, that Myran was to do the freezing, yet not until after herself, T’Reyna and Fairhug acted as bait, luring the plants out with the flame of their sticks.

Fairhug: Okay, let’s see if this works. We’ll give it a prolonged blast and draw the vines towards us, then stop and let Adjunct Myran hit them with the frost-thrower. Agreed?

The plan, as laid out by Commander Fairhug, was more than reasonable, providing relief in the eyes of Myran. Haukea, on the other hand, still held on to her concern, double edged in consolation. A 50/50 shot at success.

T'Reyna: Ready, Commander.

Willow: On your mark.

Fairhug: Okay, on three. One, two, three!

In earnest the three torch sticks came ablaze like shooting stars, bathing the plaza in warm light. In mere instance the vines moved like snakes on the hunt, moving at unprecedented speed. Haukea shuffled back with practiced ease, reminded of chasing waves, shore fish that found pleasure in attacking one’s feet.

Fairhug, followed by T’Reyna, in mere unison, found themselves laughing at the sport.

Fairhug: Stop!

The torch sticks snuffed out like a candle, allowing Myran to step forward, holding the trigger down on her own device, as she moved it back and forth over the withering vines. In moments they stopped moving, frozen, broken.

Haukea, standing not far away, shivered, not used to such cold, as T’Reyna rushed forward with her axe. In one swift motion the flora broke off, shards, like a mirror, scattering across the pavement.

Commander Fairhug’s combadge sounded, alerting the quartet to the incoming communication, halting their work.

Tito: =/\= Tito to Taybrim and Fairhug. We have good news. Doctors Wethern and Marsh manage to find a cure. =/\=

Fairhug: =/\= That is excellent news, Mister Tito. =/\=

Taybrim: =/\= Response =/\=

Tito: =/\= Response =/\=

Fairhug: =/\= We’re executing a plan to stop the spread of the vines in biodome 2B, but it’s going to be a slow process. If there’s a quicker way to bring this plant under control, I’d be glad to hear it. =/\=

Taybrim/Tito: =/\= Response =/\=

Fairhug: =/\= Aye, standing by. =/\=

With the news, Haukea could have, if given the opportunity, embraced Madison, spinning her around with a kiss in congratulations. That woman truly worked miracles; Haukea was more than proud.

Fairhug: I think it’s working. Shall we go again?

Myran: By all means.

T'Reyna: This efficiency is unmatched.

Willow: No use stopping now.

T’Reyna smiled faintly at the clear joy on Myran’s face. Yet her smile vanished just as quickly as it came. Once again, the whole situation was a double edged sword, 50/50.

Fairhug: Response

Myran:  It won’t be long before we’ve cleared this market space.

T'Reyna: How does the Frost-Thrower feel to use? Few have had the honour.

Fairhug/Myran: Response

Willow: I’m sure you could give others lessons.

The quartet continued to pursue the vines, lighting them on fire before quickly freezing and shattering them into a million pieces. It was like a dance, two steps forward, burn, two steps back and freeze.

T'Reyna: Perhaps it is…the poison in my blood…Yet one must admit, this is…satisfying.

Willow: ::Continuing to light the flame:: No need to dwell on that. A cure has been found. All we need to do is prevent it from being necessary in the future.

Myran/Fairhug/T’Reyna: Response

Willow: If only it was that easy. History has a way of repeating itself.

Myran/Fairhug/T’Reyna: Response

Willow: Too right you are.

Myran/Fairhug/T’Reyna: Response

Lt. JG Haukea-Willow