Lt. Trovek - Path of the Prophets - A Warning

Arys Trovek

Sep 16, 2022, 12:25:09 PM9/16/22
to Starbase118
((Town of Carinth, Raijalla Valley, Bajor))
Arys and Lukin opted for a late start into the day, which in itself was somewhat out of character for the Cardassian, and Arys was fairly sure that it was solely for her benefit. She had returned in the early hours of the morning, and while there was much to report about her visit, she didn't feel particularly eager to have that discussion right now.
She considered herself lucky that Geleth too decided to let them rest. The little girl was usually fairly good about those things, and more than able to entertain herself for a few hours.
After a late breakfast (that was basically a Lunch), they decided to go to the markets nearby and stock up on herbs and spices and spring wine. Lukin in particular seemed to enjoy learning how to cook traditional Bajoran meals, even if he had the tendency to add a Cardassian twist to them because it 'made them better'.
Arys had given him a look and reminded him of the last time Cardassia had tried to improve Bajor, and that had brought a swift end to his endeavour.
The market was loud and crowded, and Geleth pressed herself against Lukin for protection. That didn't mean she didn't like being here however, and she eagerly pointed in the direction of the stalls she wanted to go to. It was curious, but not really a surprise, that Geleth was fascinated by everything Bajoran. Having grown up on Cardassia she had never really gotten in touch with her roots - at least that was what Arys assumed. The girl was eager to explore her Bajoran heritage, and Arys wondered if Taril and Ria would have done the same if given the opportunity.
It was a delight to see the girl enjoy quizzing the merchants about their wares, and it was quite interesting to see how very well capable of adjusting Lukin was. While still very much Cardassian, he wasn’t here in the role of the intimidating Ambassador who looked after Cardassias interests. He was here as a father who looked after his daughter, and encouraged her questions.
Maybe that was why Arys felt almost paranoid on his behalf.
Truthfully, the idea that someone was out to get them wasn't entirely new to her. It was a feeling that had crept up every now and then when Arys had been sure that fellow Cadets at Starfleet Academy talked about her behind her back, or that Taybrim was trying to get her killed, or that Lukin secretly preferred Sheila over her. Usually she was well capable of identifying these thoughts as incorrect, but this time, she couldn't quite shake the feeling that something was wrong.
Someone was watching them.
She was sure of that, but whenever she glanced over her shoulder, all she could see was the crowd of people enjoying the markets, some more and some less interested in the Cardassian and the hybrid child. All things considered, Arys was probably the most boring member of the trio. On Earth, she looked like a human with subtle nose ridges. Here, she looked like a Bajoran with slightly muted features. Lukin, on the other hand, looked Cardassian wherever he went.
Still, it felt like someone was watching her in specific.
Arys looked over her shoulder again, this time spotting a familiar face in the crowd, and for the second time in less than twenty-six hours, the woman’s appearance came as a surprise. Jeni.
Trovek: I’ll take a look at the things over there, you don’t have to wait, I’ll catch up with the two of you.
She didn’t wait for a response from Lukin as she made her way toward her former friend. The Bajoran wore the same linen dress as she had at Aaron’s house, and Arys although it should have made her stand out, no one seemed to spare her a second glance.
Trovek: Are you stalking me?
Jeni: Maybe a little.
Trovek: That is a little weird, you know.
Though Arys wasn’t actually as weirded out as she thought she would be, which did weird her out. She had Jeni hadn’t been close, and they hadn’t seen each other for easily two decades, but the woman’s dry humour appealed to Arys.
Jeni: Sorry - well I won’t claim it’s a coincidence. I was hoping to speak to you again. Can we talk?
Arys nodded. She didn’t know what Jeni wanted, but once more somehow that didn’t alarm her.
Trovek: Of course. What’s wrong?
The Bajoran motioned for Arys to follow her, and they stepped a few feet away from the crowd. It was still noisy, but at least they were no longer in the way.
Jeni: I have heard that you will permit Aaron to meet Geleth.
Arys blinked in surprise, even if she wasn’t entirely sure why she was surprised that Jeni knew. While the conversation between her and Aaron had been in private, she had never told him that he wasn’t allowed to share the good news. And Jeni was, apparently, one of her brother’s many wives.
Trovek: Yes. He will watch her this evening while I am attending a Gala.
Jeni: That is a big step ::she nodded:: What led to that decision?
Trovek: What… led… to it? I don’t understand.
What an odd way to phrase a question. Or rather, it wasn’t odd at all. It was how Arys would ask such a question during a counselling session.
Jeni: I know you came here to reconcile with Aaron, but letting him spend time with Geleth, especially with neither you nor Lukin around, is something else entirely.
Lukin? Arys couldn’t remember having told Jeni about Lukin, but then again she had told Aaron about him. She frowned, trying to remember what had led to the promise and reflected that Aaron had asked her to stay on Bajor, and she had told him that she would not.
Trovek: I suppose it was the best course of action considering that we will be leaving soon, and I am not sure when we will return. And I can’t stay on Bajor.
Jeni: Which Aaron knows. I wonder why he asked it in the first place.
That was true. Aaron rarely asked anything without a purpose. Arys had told him that Lukin was an Ambassador and that she had just become Chief Medical Officer, which meant that neither of them could just pack up their things and relocate to Bajor.
And once she had explained that to him, he had asked if he could at least see Geleth.
Trovek: He knows how to get what he wants.
Jeni: ::nodding:: That he does.
Arys felt a shiver run down her spine. How had she not noticed Aaron’s tactics? Perhaps that was because Lukin, sometimes, had a tendency to do the very same. It wasn’t manipulative as such, but both men knew what they wanted and how to achieve their goals.
Trovek: But… I suppose so do I. So does Lukin. It’s not a bad skill to have.
Jeni: That is true. And he is a family man.
Trovek: He is.
It was odd how difficult it was to remember that having children didn’t automatically make one a good person.
Jeni: Though … I wonder… He has his farmhouse with women and children, but that can’t be all. How would they finance themselves?
That… was another excellent question.
Trovek: Donations?
Perhaps. But what about that retreat Hilja had mentioned? Why weren’t they allthere. How often was Aaron really at the farmhouse?
Arys hadn’t asked those questions before, but now she noticed they simply didn’t add up. Jeni remained silent as they walked.
Trovek: I suppose it’s perhaps a little early. We can find a time to visit when both me and Lukin are present. Tomorrow. Or, if we leave too soon after the Gala, noone says we cannot visit here again. Or can visit us
Jeni: ::nodding:: That seems like it would have been what you had decided on had Aaron not charmed you.
Those words hit hard, but they were true. Arys had gone there with the wish of reconciling with Aaron, and prepared to overlook the red flags she would surely see. Now she wondered if she had overlooked too many of them.
Trovek: So you are here to warn me?
Jeni: I am here to tell you the things you already know. Sometimes it’s good to hear them from a voice that isn’t your own.
Trovek: Yes… you’re right. Well, how about you join Lukin and Me? You could meet Geleth.
Jeni smiled and shook her head.
Jeni: I won’t, but thank you for offering it. Go back to your family, I’m sure we will meet again.
Trovek: We will?
Jeni: Yes. I will be around.
It should probably have sounded ominous, but to Arys, it felt comforting. They said their goodbyes and Arys returned to Lukin and Geleth, not noticing that the pair of eyes watching her wasn’t Jeni’s.

Lt. Trovek Arys
Chief Medical Officer
Starbase 118 Ops
J239809TA4