Backsim: JP: Commodore Aron Kells & Lt. Cmdr. Alora DeVeau - “Passing Orbits, Part 1”

1 view

Amanda Nordstrom

Oct 25, 2021, 11:09:44 PM10/25/21
to StarBase 118 Ops – UFOP: StarBase 118

OOC: Takes place just after Alora's arrival on Betazed.

IC:

((Rixx, Betazed))

Alora stared at the window. The grounds were immaculately kept, and the gardens were beautiful.  Like Alora, Enzada had loved nature and had cultivated it as much as she could around her.  Forests in the distance almost gleamed, and she longed to go and just walk among the trees.  Enzada would have liked to do that herself, she was sure of it.  Had she ever done so?  It would have been nice to have the chance to do it together, but no, that was not to be.

The Betazoid funeral had been the day before, the “Passing ceremony” in truth when one translated the meaning from their language.  Fortunately, despite the fact she was not telepathic, she had been able to hear everything thanks to the thoughtfulness of those conducting the ceremony.  Her return to the home had been quiet, without fanfare.  And why would it?  She didn’t need fanfare.  She didn’t want fanfare.  She honestly wasn’t sure she wanted this.  But it had been bequeathed to her, and to deny it would have been an insult to Enzada and her memory.

Sal was with her, and that brought some comfort, but she still struggled with him.  Her emotions were never quite straightforward when it came to the red-haired commodore.  She wanted them to be.  The problem was, what she was feeling wasn’t right.  She wasn’t supposed to be feeling that way.  She didn't want to think about it either and she shoved them aside and back in the corner and did her best to fight with them.

Sighing, Alora turned back to the desk.  It had been Enzada’s, made of native wood, a purple-red hue and absolutely beautiful.  From what she had been told, it had been in the family for centuries, well kept, well taken care of.  Leaning upon it, she stared down at the little box.  There was no lock.  No key would fit into it.  No, it was much like the puzzle boxes in Japan, but she had yet to figure out how to open it.  Even the tricorder gave some odd reasons when she’d scanned it and had been useless in providing insight.  She just would have to keep trying until she figured it out.

But nothing came to her.  Nothing at all, except she wished the Enzada were there. Or Kalin.  Or both.  Or...or Sal.  He was visiting his family. She couldn’t deny him that.  Evidently Alora would have the opportunity to meet his mother that very night, but until then…

Aron.

Brother at heart, she hadn’t seen him since his inquiry.  It would be nice to talk to him again.  She missed him so much.  Secretly, she sort of hoped he took the position at the Academy - because then he’d be on Ops.  Wouldn’t that be wonderful?  But would that be wonderful for him?  For Nic?

Turning to the console, Alora suddenly ordered the connection.

DeVeau: Computer, connect me with Commodore Aron Kells of the USS Thor.

What time was it there?  Would he be awake?  Would she interrupt something?  Of course he wouldn’t answer if he couldn’t, but, she could hope…

And that hope was realised when the face of the man in her thoughts appeared on the screen.  Immediately, a smile broke out over her own.

DeVeau: =/\=Hey Aron.=/\=

Kells: =/\=Alora! =/\=

Aron beamed at the monitor in his quarters. He’d just spent some unexpected time in Alora’s company, and while the visit hadn’t been exactly what he’d expected, he’d been happy to be near his old friend. He was happy to hear from her again so soon -- but even as he thought so, his smile dimmed a little as he wondered why she was calling.

Kells: =/\=How are things? You look a little….=/\=

He wasn’t sure how to finish the sentence. She looked as hale as ever, but she also seemed to be missing a little bit of her fizz. That could be subspace, though.

DeVeau:=/\= I’m...okay.  Sort of.=/\=

Kells: =/\=Sort of? =/\=

Alora sighed.  She’d told the story a couple of times and would certainly have to tell it again.  But every time she told it, she hoped that she would have some sort of revelation.  She wasn’t even sure what she wanted to be revealed.  A purpose?  Have some sense to the entire thing?

DeVeau:=/\= I’m...actually on Betazed right now. =/\=

Kells: =/\=No kidding? Small galaxy. The Thor’s in orbit right now. =/\=

Wait….did she just hear what she thought she heard?   Alora sat up straighter, then leaned forward.

DeVeau: =/\=Are you serious?=/\=

Kells: =/\=As I can be without losing my boyish charm.=/\=

And he grinned. Alora, he noticed, was perking up a little, and he expected that she, like him, felt reassured simply by their proximity.

DeVeau: =/\=Why?  And for how long?=/\=

Was it for long?  Were they on a mission?  If so, what kind?  Did they need help?  No...no, probably not.  And she shouldn’t be looking to do Starfleet work when she was technically on leave to take care of personal matters.

Kells: =/\=We’re picking up a diplomatic contingent that’s bound for a new station. As for how long, well. Not very. How long are you here?=/\=

Oh.  Well, that wasn’t going to require any assistance at all, not that it mattered.  Alora had already talked herself out of inserting into the situation.  Besides, she had enough on her plate.

DeVeau: =/\=I...don’t know.  I’ve been here two days.  I’m not sure how long it will be yet.  Maybe another week?  Could be two?  =/\=

There was just so much up in the air, and that was another thing that Alora hated.  Uncertainty.  Ever since her last assignment, she seemed to be plagued with, one thing after another, chaos rearing its ugly head.

Hmm. Their window didn’t overlap by much, Aron thought. If they wanted to see each other in person, they’d have to act quickly.

Kells:=/\= Want to beam up? See each other in the flesh?=/\=

DeVeau: =/\=Do I? You know I do.=/\=

Alora could take a few hours away.  Sal would understand.  If Xerion didn’t, too bad.  She was the matriarch, right?

Kells: =/\=Great. You can tell me why you’re here and what has you so bummed out.=/\=

DeVeau: =/\=Beam me up, Aron, and I’ll tell you the entire story.=/\=

Kells: =/\= Absolutely. Stand by. =/\=

Aron headed out of his quarters a moment after ending the comm, and hesitated only momentarily once he reached the turbolift. Transporter Room 1 was one deck up, and 2 was two decks down, but 1 was near the bridge and so more likely to provide more opportunity for complications. Aron had the sense that Alora wasn’t really in a social mood, and so he ordered the lift down.

(( Transporter Room 2, Deck 4, USS Thor ))

Once there, Aron asked Chief Larell, the Boslic transporter chief on duty, to give him the room, which she did at once.

It didn’t take long.  A simple command to the transporter room and Alora found herself on the ship. As soon as the gold dissipated, he was standing there before her, the hulk of a man who had, at one time, been her commanding officer.  Now he was so much more, and once again, she was so very glad to see him.  First thing was first though - she stepped forward, threw her arms around him as best she could and gave him a hug.

DeVeau: It’s so good to see you again.

Kells: (slightly muffled, looking down) It’s good to see you too.

Even though it hadn’t been all that long ago, the fact was, if Alora could see him far more often, she wouldn’t complain.  She squeezed him as tightly as she could for a good long minute, then finally released him.

DeVeau: I have to admit, I’m rather surprised that you’re here. What’s this about a new station?

In the back of her mind, Alora thought it sounded familiar, but she couldn’t place it right then and there.  She’d been so swamped lately.

Kells: It’s a diplomatic outpost in the Delta Quadrant. Kinda like Astrofori One, from what I’ve heard.

DeVeau: Oh!  Oh yes!  I heard something about that…

It was a vague recollection, and she had noted it as interesting at the time, but frankly, her focus was on Ops…

DeVeau: How long will y’all be out there?

Kells: A few months, at least. Even with the improved propulsion systems, it’s still about six weeks there and back, and I doubt we’ll turn around immediately. Figure four, maybe five months.

Which wasn’t that long, Aron thought, especially since he and the Thor had recently been in the Gamma Quadrant for even longer. Still, he could tell by the look on Alora’s face that “four or five months” wasn’t what she was willing to call short.

DeVeau: So your crew will be out there for a while.

Kells: It’s Roshanara’s former crew, too. I mean, most of them are from Veritas. You might know some of them, actually, although I had the sense that it was a lot of junior officers.

DeVeau: Wil!

Wil Ukinix.  She knew several others too.

DeVeau: You remember, we served together.  I proctored Ensign Scotty Reade’s exam, and managed to meet Ikaia Wong when I was attempting to get a hold of a different medical officer.

That was interesting.  It was nice to know, and immediately Alora realised she was going to make another call as soon as she could.  Wil might be able to offer her some advice.

DeVeau: That’s...a big change.

It seemed the winds of change were blowing everywhere.

There was something in the tone of her voice, though, that made Aron think that talking around whatever was bothering her was wearing thin, and he nodded to the door.

Kells: Want to head back to my quarters? Talk a little more?

There was a sigh.  She felt bad.  Alora seemed to always call him when something was wrong.  She wanted to just spend time with Aron without worrying about all the mess that seemed to be piling up around her.  But, there they were, and he was willing to listen.  She didn’t deserve a friend like him.

DeVeau: Yes, please.

TBC!

*******
Commodore Aron Kells