JP PNPC Ensign Penny Hopper & LtCmdr Alora DeVeau - Penny For Your Thoughts (pt2)

1 view

Amanda Nordstrom

Oct 5, 2020, 5:36:41 PM10/5/20
to StarBase 118 Ops – UFOP: StarBase 118

((Starbase Ops, Commercial Sector - Dragon’s Lair))

Hopper: This one has the best Cajun, I think they ship live crawfish in. And that one ::she pointed to the blue food truck.:: Has some pretty good drinks.

::She talked like she didn’t care.::

DeVeau: Interesting.  Well, I don’t mind waiting if you don’t.

::She huffed her response, her chin rested partially on her chest. Her arms folded high on her chest.::

DeVeau: Waiting isn’t so bad when you have good company.  So please, Penny, would you mind sharing something about yourself?  What got you into your specialty?

Hopper: Um - whoa? We just met, you can tone down the questions. ::her tone was defensive.::

::Penny’s personal shields went up.::

That was unexpected.  While Alora knew that some people didn’t necessarily want to indulge a lot about them, she wasn’t used to that sort of reaction.  Alora raised her hands in an almost protective measure.

DeVeau:  I’m sorry, I have no ill intent.  I just like learning about people.

Hopper: Listen, we can talk about the Dragons lair, maybe food, maybe the weather - ‘k? If you want to share your life's tale, go right ahead though.

DeVeau: Well, that depends.  Are you interested in learning about me?

Hopper: I don’t know, I guess it depends on how interesting you are.

::She shrugged and looked forward.::

DeVeau: Because if you’re not, then there’s really no point in talking about myself.  I mean, that’s the point of talking about one’s self, to share yourself with others, but I don’t want to do that if you have no interest.  Weather is boring though when it’s pretty much prescribed by the computer.  The Dragon’s Lair is more interesting.  Or, if you’re willing, I’d love to know about any other places that are interesting around here.  I know where the districts are, but I’ve yet to get to explore the details of them.

::This woman was something else. Blunt and to the point but nosy and too… pleasant. It made Penny feel more insecure than anything. And as normal, her sandpaper shields went up. She didn’t look back at Alora, just stepped forward as the line moved.::

Hopper: There’s a few good ones. ::she answered plainly.:: The Klingon district is good for weapons, fights and drinking.

DeVeau: Weapons, right up your alley.

Alora chuckled a little at that.  Somehow, she’d managed to turn off Penny, even if she hadn’t intended it.  Ah well, she couldn’t please everyone.

Hopper: Little Risa is better though. ::so helpful.::

DeVeau: Ah, Little Risa.  Yes, I’ve been there, and it’s beautiful.  I hope I can go see the real Risa some day.

Hopper: Hmm ::she grunted as a response.::

DeVeau: Are there some places that aren’t maybe as...what am I trying to think of...maybe obvious or well known but are worth visiting?  Not districts, specific places.

Hopper: Hmm, I mean there’s a few. ::but they were her preferences..:: There’s a few decent sweet shops, and pastries places.

Alora got the feeling that Penny had pretty much lost interest in any sort of conversation, that her reticence was now beyond the personal stuff.  Maybe she was wrong, but she honestly felt like she was hitting a brick wall.

DeVeau: I like trying places that sell different types of chocolates.

::The line moved as they talked till they were one person away from the front of the line. The smell of spices and fish filled Penny’s senses. There was a kick to the underlying scent. The sounds of pans and cookware could be clearly heard.::

Hopper: Yea I hear the captain has a preference to one of those places too.

DeVeau: Oh really? Good to know should she ever need to get him a gift.  Although, she already had a gift in mind for him - one of many she was giving out.  The more people who had plants, the better.  Which made her think…

DeVeau: Do you like plants?

Hopper: Like… flowers?

DeVeau:  Yes. Particularly flowers.  I grow a lot of them.  If you would like one, I have a particular variety from Earth called the African Violet.  They’re very easy to care for and sometimes bloom nine months out of a Terran year.  Would you like one?

Hopper: Not really… ::her brows furled.::

::It was their turn. Penny looked at the woman, turned to the cart worker and placed the order. She ordered the house special, spicy jambalaya. Fully loaded with shrimp, rice, beans and all the fixings.::

DeVeau: They’re really easy to care for.

Hopper: Thanks anyways - I guess - but no. It’ll just die.

Alora stepped up as Penny received her order and decided since the woman knew what was good, she’d order the same thing.  After taking her bowl, she stepped aside to fall back next to the other woman.

DeVeau: Okay, but if you change your mind, just let me know.

Alora popped a bit of the jambalaya into her mouth and her eyes lit up.  It was spicy, which she liked, but there was a great intensity of flavour that went well with the seafood and beans and rice all mixed in.

Deveau: This is really good.

Hopper: Pfft, I know ::she said taking notes of her own in private appreciation.::

DeVeau: Feel free to share any other tasty places.  I love recommendations.

Hopper: Sure. ::not entirely sarcastic.::

Alora cast a sidelong glance at Penny as she took another bite.  The woman was harder than a nut to crack - but that didn’t mean pursuing a positive and friendly relationship wasn’t worthwhile - it was just going to be more work.

End!

_________________

Lt. Cmdr. Alora DeVeau

Science Officer