Lieutenant Commanders Lael Rosek & Chythar Skyfire, Ensign Beelam Grog: The Meltdown Redux III

Chythar Skyfire

Mar 5, 2019, 2:00:36 AM3/5/19
to IC Montreal
((First Officer’s Office, USS Montreal))

::She wished she had her letter at this moment, it would certainly help better explain how she felt about the whole situation.::

Rosek: ::nods:: You can have some time to think about it if you'd like, but I don't think you should return in any capacity until we've discussed a plan of action.

Grog: I need to know how to prevent another incident, so I guess your right.

Rosek: ::smiles softly and nods:: We're making progress.

::Lael had always thought being part of the command staff of a ship meant stern discipline and putting the fear of God in anyone who stepped out of line. Starfleet, after all, had military roots and expected its officers to be tough as nails. A person had to be to survive out here. But not everyone started as jaded as she had. A lifetime of bullying had toughened her up. Maybe it was time that she challenged the preconception that a person had to be a pitbull to make it in Starfleet.::

Grog: ::Sigh:: I want to know what is wrong with me. It might not make a difference but it will give me a sliver of hope.

::Beelam was starting to think that she was long overdue for a “label” as her brother told her she needed. Words had a powerful effect and if she knew it might make it easier to hide her feelings. Might help people give her the time she needed.::

Rosek: ::nods:: Knowledge is power. ::pauses and lays a hand on Beelam's shoulder, then squeezes:: And this may be just me, but I think you're looking at it wrong. It's not about what's wrong...it's about what's different. Only ignorant people think different and wrong are the same thing.

::With the immediate pressure on her shoulder Beelam let out a sigh; it felt good. Not wrong, just good and expressed more than words ever could.::

Grog: I guess my brother’s just getting into my head. He cared a bit too much and my parents, they seemed to not care enough.

:: Chythar didn’t say anything. He didn’t know what to say. On top of that, he was still dreading the other conversation he’d be having later with Lael and Mei’konda. ::

::Lael could relate at least somewhat given that her mother had (and still was) very controlling. When Lael had been younger, she hadn’t known any better. She’d known she hated how her mother tried to leverage things that were important to Lael to get her way. She’d hated how she always felt like she wasn’t good enough for her mother. She still did. Though their relationship was less rocky these days, the same dynamic was still present and Lael did her best to avoid spending too much time in her mother’s company.::

Rosek: I know it’s tough, but you have to stop listening to the voices that are only trying to knock you down. We have a saying on Earth: “The ones that mind don’t matter...the ones that matter don’t mind.” The people that truly care about you are going to accept you as you are and will always be there to support you. I want to see you succeed. If you decide Starfleet isn’t for you, it won’t be because you didn’t try your damndest to be an exemplary officer.

Grog: If Starfleet is not for me then it will be because I have messed up and made a fool of myself. ::Sigh:: I want people to realize that I can’t be treated like any other officer. I’m not asking to be given special treatment just different based on what I need, whatever that may be. ::Sigh:: Not that that is always possible.

::Beelam wanted a plan of action. A documented list of steps that she could take to prevent another outburst. A way to reach inside herself to be able to understand how and why she was feeling the way she was before it potentially hurt herself or others.::

:: Chythar was silent. He was autistic himself, but didn’t have a way to help. He knew what he needed to do, but wasn’t going to say it aloud. He had to stay professional a little bit longer, but this one time he didn’t know how to assist. ::

Rosek: ::nods:: I understand. But you’re going to have to come to terms with the fact that being in Starfleet means things aren’t always going to go exactly according to plan. If you’re going to be successful, you’re going to have to develop a degree of flexibility in dealing with unexpected situations.

::The thought scared her. Flexibility wasn’t always easy for her. During the academy she had friends able to point her in the right direction and if things changed at a moment's notice she knew she had someone to tell her what to do; how to calm down. That’s all she really needed, strategies to help her calm down before she exploded. If not, just realizing she needed help and how the experience made her feel then she guessed that was enough to help the situation.::

Grog: I can do that just give me a moment.

Rosek: ::nods:: We’ll help you, but you have to be willing to work with us.

Grog: I am, just tell me what I need to do.

Skyfire: Counseling is a good start. It’s not exactly the most efficient method, but it is one way. I’m an autistic myself. Another thing is having friends.

:: He knew all about both aspects, because he had to endure endless counseling sessions and have several of his friends smack him upside the head with a clue bat because he was being a doofus or a conceited @$$. Some relationships though just could not be saved, and he knew this from experience. ::

Grog: Counseling is a place to start I agree.

::Truth be told that was why she wrote that letter, it was easier to say it in writing as words were  difficult, but also so that she could give it to Cattan when the time came.::

Grog: I will agree to counseling and see what she has to say. Dr. Cattan might be able to come up with a more viable solution.

::She had sat there for a while thinking it over and thought it was for the best. She had to do what was right in order to keep her standing. It was strange how her thoughts shifted but the constant thoughts back to the letter made her finally realize her situation.::

Grog: I will do whatever you think is necessary.

Rosek: ::nods and squeezes Grog’s shoulder:: One step at a time, Ensign. ::straightens and removes her hand, then turns to Chythar:: If you have nothing else to add, Doctor?

Skyfire: :: turning to Grog. ::I will see to it that all the submitted reports from the medical department thus far are forwarded for you for compilation.

Rosek: ::to Grog:: I’ll confirm Dr. Cattan’s availability and she’ll reach out to you to schedule your appointment.

::Beelam nodded having nothing to say. She was ready to getting the counseling meeting over with but still felt like she needed some more time for herself before then.::

Rosek: ::nods:: Dismissed, Ensign.

Grog: Thank you. ::She stopped in the doorway.:: I promise you I will get everything under control and keep you updated.

::With that Grog left to head back to her room and prepare herself for her counseling session.::

::As Grog exited the room, Lael turned to Chythar.::

Rosek: It never gets any easier, does it?

Skyfire: This would mark the third time I’ve had to discipline an officer in my department. And it never gets easier.

---

Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek
Executive Officer
USS Montreal, NCC-64927
I238110RH0

&

Ensign Beelam Grog
Nurse
USS Montreal NCC-64927
M239512BG0

&

Lieutenant Commander Chythar Skyfire, MD
Chief Medical Officer
USS Montreal, NCC-64927
O239002CS0