Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek: A Funny Feeling

Lael Rosek

Apr 19, 2019, 12:05:45 AM4/19/19
to sb118-m...@googlegroups.com

((Shuttlebay, USS Montreal))

::Lael had the phaser rifle slung over her shoulder and a kit packed with Engineering tools in hand as she boarded the shuttle. She stowed the kit in the compartment and leaned the rifle against the wall just inside the shuttle door. Removing her uniform jacket and tunic, she slipped on a tactical vest designed to protect against projectiles. Granted, it wouldn’t do much against energy weapons, but it gave whatever firepower an extra layer to go through. She slipped her tunic back on and was just slipping her arms back into her uniform jacket when Shin’s voice reached her ears.::

Shin: Reporting Commander. :: He said to Lael as he approached her.::

Sirk: Ensign Sirk, sir.

Rosek: ::smiles and nods:: Gentlemen.

Sirk: Does everyone have their designated phasers?

::Her hand wandered to the small hand weapon holstered at her side. Not that it would do her much good. Her attempts on the phaser range proved that much. While she didn’t intend to carry the phaser rifle with her at all times, it certainly didn’t hurt to have one along. She supposed it was easier to handle because she could steady it with her shoulder.::

Shin: I grabbed a phaser earlier. :: Eyeing the load of weapons in Miko's arms.:: Are going to need a lot of firepower then, sir?

Rosek: ::pauses:: Not that we know of. But better safe than sorry.

Riley: Hand phaser, phaser rifle, armor, and kit all accounted for on my end.

Stennin: Greetings commander. Lieutenant Stennin reporting in for science duty.

Dito/Padix: Response

Rosek: ::turns to them and nods:: We don’t know exactly what we’re getting into. Lieutenant Hamasaki discovered transmissions from the planet that indicate we might be walking into an ambush.

::She had no real proof other than her instincts and those had yet to fail her. Something strange was going on, even if she didn’t yet have all the pieces to figure out what. They couldn’t afford to underestimate Lenik or what he’d do to accomplish his goals. He was calculating and had been a step ahead of them so far. She only hoped that they’d finally beat him to the punch.::

Sirk: I brought along a few phaser rifles if anyone wants one?

Shin: Thank you, Ensign. :: He said as he reached for a rifle.::

Stennin: I am uncertain if we should imply to the people of Karakka that we come fully armed. In accordance with General Order 14, we cannot intervene in planetary affairs without their consent. Excepting of course if the situation is hostile.

Dito/Padix: Response

::That hadn’t been her intention in bringing the weapons, though she supposed that was a logical assumption for someone who didn’t know her or her leadership style. She was very much of the ‘be prepared’ mentality. It was better to have the weapons within their grasp hoping they didn’t have to use them than for them to be out of reach and for their assumption to be their downfall.::

Rosek: We can’t risk transport with the interference. We’re better off taking a shuttle. ::to Stennin and Dito:: Do you two think you can mask the shuttle’s impulse trail?

Stennin: With the tetryon radiation in the region, the normal use of a Electromagnetic Field would be hazardous. We could be able to remodulate our shield harmonics to mask our output, however this would have limited effect on short-range or Tachyon-infused scanners.

Dito: Response

Rosek: ::nods:: It’s worth a try. ::to Shin, Sirk, and Riley:: We’re going to need a more information on the terrain and anything we can get on the planet’s leadership.

Shin: I'll see what I can learn about their social and political systems, sir.

Sirk: ::nods:: If we approach any frendlies, it’d be a good idea to interrogate them.

::She grimaced. It had been a less-than-tactful word choice, but he likely hadn’t intended for it to come across that way. Though she didn’t know anything of the man beyond his service record, his history seemed to indicate he had a solid head on his shoulders or she wouldn’t have selected him for the away team. With the situation as tenuous as it was, she needed people who were focused and sharp.::

Rosek: ::grimaces:: Interrogate might not be the best word, but I understand the point you were trying to make. We’ll need to be very careful with what we ask and say. Again, we don’t know exactly what the situation is down there.

Riley: From what I’ve discovered, government seems to be more like a corporation than anything else. There is the one Federation CEO-type figure and three VPs who handle the various trading, mining, and financial affairs of the colony while keeping the peace. Each keeps to themselves and they meet a few times a year to make their report to the Federation.

Rosek: ::nods:: Good to know, Lieutenant. Thank you. ::to Dito:: I’m going to need your eyes and ears analyzing those transmissions for anything else you can find.

Dito: Response

::The more information they could glean, the better. She’d learned from past experience that where there was smoke, there more than likely was a fire. It was entirely possible that those transmissions could be the key to understanding what was going on and why the government leaders weren’t answering their attempts to communicate.::

Rosek: ::smirks:: I’m a bit rusty, but I think I can get us down without chipping the paint.

Shin: My friends in the academy said I was a scary pilot. :: He added with a smirk.::

::She was far from an amazing pilot, but Shin’s admission made her grateful that she’d volunteered to fly them down.::

Dito: Response

Stennin: We will need the sensors to determine where to put the shuttle down commander. If we are not intercepted of such operations before that. ::pause:: Permission to board, commander?

Rosek: ::smiles:: Granted. Let’s get this show on the road. If Lenik isn’t here already, we don’t have much time until he arrives.

Riley: If it helps, I’m also a pilot.

Rosek: ::smiles:: I’ll keep that in mind, Lieutenant. I could use an extra set of eyes on our course to make sure nothing pops up in the way.

Dito: Response

::As the others stowed their gear, she slid into the pilot’s seat, her fingers gliding across the console as she began running the pre-launch diagnostics and made a couple of adjustments to their planned course. Stennin was right. Unless they could get sensor readings going in, she would be flying blind. Not that it would be the first time. But it was even more critical today given that they were trying to stay under the radar.::

::As she ran the diagnostics, she overhead Sirk talking with Padix.::

Sirk: You seem...confused, crewman.

Padix: Well, I was tending to some things in one of the labs and Chief Galven approached me.

Sirk: And?

Padix: ::shrugs:: He just told me to report here and await instructions from the First Officer.

Shin: Have you reported to the Commander to receive those orders yet or have you just been standing there?

Padix: Response

Rosek: :: calls out:: Easy, Lieutenant. Crewman Padix was a last-minute addition.

Riley: Crewman Padix is experienced in the field of medicine. Due to the fact environmental conditions on the planet are uncertain as of now, she would be a valuable asset to the team considering that we don’t have a medical officer present. I’d advise allowing her to accompany us to the surface.

Shin/Padix: Response

Rosek: ::to Padix:: We need medical support in case something goes wrong.

Padix: Response

Riley/Stennin/Dito/Shin: Responses

Rosek: Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. ::enters a command on the console:: =/\=Rosek to Bridge.=/\=

Mei'konda: =/\=Go ahead, Commander. =/\=

Rosek: =/\=We’re ready for launch.=/\=

Mei’konda: =/\=Go ahead, Commander. =/\=

Rosek: ::nods:: =/\=Acknowledged. Rosek out.=/\= ::to the others:: Everyone in and buckle up.

Riley/Stennin/Dito/Sirk/Shin/Padix: Responses

((OOC: Will continue if needed))

::Her brow furrowed as she studied the readouts in front of her. She could have sworn she saw something strange, but it had been gone when she'd looked again. She suddenly felt more than a little unsettled, anxiety twisting her insides. Pushing the feelings aside, she refocused on flying the shuttle.::

Riley: Response

Rosek: ::nods:: Everyone hold tight. This is going to get a little bumpy.

Stennin/Dito/Sirk/Shin/Padix: Responses

Riley: Response

::Her hands flew across the controls.::

Dito/Riley: Response

Rosek: Mr. Stennin, now would be a good time if you have a landing spot pinpointed. The longer we're in the air, the more likely we are to be a target.

Stennin: Response

Dito/Sirk/Shin/Padix/Riley: Responses

---

Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek