Lieutenant German Galven - Robotic Arms

Lt. German Galven

Jun 7, 2019, 12:45:02 AM6/7/19
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Montreal

((OOC: All opinions in this sim are those of the character.))

((Work Bee, Shuttlebay, Caitian Spacedock))

::When they reached the workbee, Lael climbed in first and then German after her. It was a good thing these were fairly large. Not that she’d want to be stuck in these things for long. They weren’t meant to live in. Once she’d settled into the pilot’s seat, she entered a series of commands into the panel in front of her that would begin the boot-up of the little craft’s systems. A soft hum filled the cabin as the lights on the console slowly came on.::

Galven: Well, now what do we do?

Rosek: ::fingers glide over the controls:: Once the thrusters warm up, we see if we can get in the sled’s path.

::He nodded as they flew out from the shuttlebay and then heard over the communications that the witch was talking with someone from the Veritas that German hadn’t met yet, but he sounded pleasant enough compared to other people.::

Hamasaki: =/\= I just got the engine up.. I'm headed out now. Can you attach yourself to the tug? If we both attach at a eighty-five degree angle to the starboard, and push our thrusters output to max, we might be able to alter the course to a near miss. We just need to get it past the shipdocks, someone can run over and recover it later. That seem to work for you? =/\=

Xerix:   =/\= Yes, Sir. Although I would prefer a near hit to a near miss. =/\=

Hamasaki. =/\= It might be risky, but about the only other thing we could do is fire weapons on it, and while that'd give it delta-vee, I think worker-bees don't have weapons, and they'd be upset at us. =/\= ::wry:: =/\= I'm open to other suggestions. =/\=

::Now that was hard to believe, but German wanted to see if there really was truth to that statement.::

Galven: =/\= Galven & Rosek to Work Bee 1 and 2, what if we formed a triangulating tractor beam at the same time around the cargo sled? =/\=

Xerix: =/\= Worker bee 2 here, with respect Sirs. Tractor beams aren’t going to cut it. Estimated impact in less than three minutes, let’s push to change its course. The Astraeus doesn’t need a sunroof =/\=

Hamasaki: =/\= Agreed. We don't have the time we'd need for a triangulating tractor beam to work. =/\=

::So much for that theory, but he still wanted to see how they could manage what was going on as he turned to see how well the small craft’s operational time was and it was behaving normally and noticed that Lael grimaced reading the sled’s trajectory.::

Rosek: =/\=We need to literally get in the sled’s way. Any suggestion on how we can stop it once we do?=/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Lieutenant Hamasaki, Ensign Xerix, I think we can help.  The Astraeus tractor beams are not fully calibraated yet, but they should be able to slow the sled for you.  One moment. =/\=

::A moment ago, they weren’t considering the tractor beams.::

Rosek: ::to German:: Keep an eye on the power output levels. If we’re going to be pushing the thrusters to maximum, we stand a chance that they could overheat. That’s the last thing we need right now.

Galven: Aye, ma’am

::Great minds think alike since he was already doing that.::

Xerix: =/\= Captain, that bought us some time but we’re not out of the swamp by any stretch. Worker bee 1 what’s your status? =/\=

Hamasaki: =/\= Attaching to the hull and preparing to punch thrusters to max. Ready when you're attached. =/\=

Mei'konda: Response

Rosek: ::eyes the sensor readings:: =/\= Hold her steady, Mr. Xerix.=/\=

Xerix: Response

Hamasaki: =/\= Course alteration is working. Tug is now moving ..mmm.. one seven six mark zero two relative to the station. Deflection is eight degrees. We just need two more degrees. Time to impact is two minutes. =/\=

Rosek: ::studies the navigation screen:: =/\=We’re within range. I’m pulling up alongside Mr. Xerix to see if I can use the craft’s robot arms to exert a bit more control over the sled’s path.=/\=

Xerix: =/\= Aye sir =/\=

Rosek: =/\=Rosek to Xerix. We’re going to extend the robot arms. When they make contact, we’ll use our motion to pull the sled away from its current course. I’ve sent up a direct link with your workbee’s computer so we can match course and don’t pull each other apart.=/\=

Xerix: =/\= synchronization...complete. Proceed =/\=

Rosek: ::enters a series of commands into the console and turns to German:: Extend the arms and see if you can make contact.

::His own fingers danced along the display in front of him and as soon as he was able to make the arms move to his commands, German nodded and confirmed once it grabbed onto the sled with a bit of shudder.::

Galven: =/\= Engaging and It’s holding fairly well. =/\=

Mei'konda: Response

::The seconds ticked by and Lael stared intently at the sensor readings. They were almost there.::

Rosek: Altering our course. ::to German:: Let’s see if we can get those last couple of degrees.

::German’s eyes were glued to the arms of the craft as well as his hands were swinging along the monitor to keep it steady.::

Hamasaki: =/\= Deflection is now.. one zero point two degrees. We'll have a near hit, and we'll need to retrieve it from space, but the Astraeus will no longer impact the tug. We can return to base now. Hopefully they've retrieved the pattern buffer. =/\=

Xerix: =/\=Workbee 2 returning to base.=/\=

Mei'konda: Response

Rosek: =/\=Understood. Rosek out.=/\= ::turns to German with a grin:: Well, that was unexpected. But it’s good to know that even after a few months of minimal action, we’re still sharp.

::He presented her with one of his signature wide Denobulan grins.::

Galven: ::chuckles:: I believe that’s what the party needed anyways.

Rosek: ::smirks:: I believe we have a dance to finish...and a conversation.

::He paused a moment and thought about that. It was more Mei’konda’s night and in the next couple of days, they’d be camping on the mountains. They already created enough of a scene before.::

Galven: We’ll have all the time to talk during our camping trip. Besides, I have a feeling some are getting the wrong impression and can’t tell the difference between professionalism and personalism. At a party no less.

Rosek: Response

Galven: No need to worry. I’ll always have my sense of humor. It’s kind of funny when it’s not necessarily picked up on. ::laughs::

Rosek: Response

((Later... ‘The Den’ Lounge, Caitian Spacedocks))

Galven: Were you the one in workbee 2?

Xerix: Response

Galven: You have a very distinct voice. I’m Lieutenant German Galven. ::smiles:: You did really well out there, ensign. ::extends his hand for Xerix to shake::

Xerix: Response

--

Lieutenant German Galven

Chief Science Officer