[Ring 42 - Door] Ensign Sera - Unacceptable

1 view

Hope Forster

Jan 18, 2022, 1:20:41 AM1/18/22
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
(( Mysterious doorstep, Abandoned city, Surface of Ring 42 ))

Kettick: Shall we put our heads together on this translation? I am not quite familiar with this particular use of "unbecome". Is it a threat of annihilation?

The Vulcan Engineer stepped closer to the console, and Kettick stiffened.

Sera:  I am only moving closer to study the text.  Please do not fire upon me.

Kettick:  Acknowledged.

Sera:  The standard word “unbecoming” has been paired with “tukhik,” which translates to “physical” from my native dialect. Further down, “ashenaya,” which is elevation and “Sha-ka-ri,”…a distinctly Vulcan sentiment that I can only roughly translate to the afterlife…or heaven? are also utilized, however the pairing is…unusual.

The console chirped, startling them both.  Sera instinctively took a step back, as did Kettick, weapon not yet pointed but at the ready.

“WELCOME.”  A pleasantly accented feminine voice boomed.  “Thank you for selecting tukhik unbecoming.  Ashenaya to wuh ek'wakik sov-hali dungi palikau momentarily.”

Kettick:  "Physical unbecoming" sounds unpromising... Would you care to translate, Ensign?

Sera:  My apologies. It roughly states ‘Elevation to the eternal aircraft will begin momentarily.  ::brows creasing in consternation::  “That is incorrect usage.  The computer said aircraft – but I believe the term should be plane?  Computer, what this the purpose of this door?

As if to respond, a red light flashed out, bathing the two Engineers in crimson light. It may have been a sign of welcome and peace in another culture, but for a Starfleet officer, red lights had a certain connotation.

Computer:  The lof is tukhik unbecoming.  Enjoy ek'wak'es svi' Sha-ka-ri!

Sera:  We need to retreat! I have—

Sera was unable to complete her statement as the red scanner activated again, focusing again on the two engineering officers, but this time instead of it being innocuous, it caused a physical sensation within her that she could perhaps only compare to being struck by a bolt of electricity.  Her vision went white and then there was nothing at all.

Sera first noted the sensation of something hard against her cheek.  It felt as if she were laying on her stomach on the ground.  Slowly she opened her eyes and squinted as her pupils adjusted to the light.  She did not sense any injuries to her person, so she pushed herself upright in order to look around.  She was in a field of verdant green grass, and the sky was the most vivid blue she had ever observed – it was not the color of the atmosphere encompassing the ring.

The next thing she noticed was she wasn’t wearing her uniform, but the diaphanous shift dress worn by Vulcan priestess-acolytes. The heavy weight of a vokaya (a blue stone native to Vulcan) encrusted hmoi'neks (collar) lay around on her neck and collar bone.  Her hair was loose, and far longer than it was mere moments ago trailing down the front of her and pooling in her lap.

Although she had no mirror to ascertain the veracity of her observation, Sera perceived that she was garbed in the ritual clothing of a Priestess of Seleya – those who guarded and communed with the katra of the departed.

Sera whipped her head around, looking frantically for Kettick.  She saw him lying on the ground, face-down, some distance away and scrabbled up to her bare feet to race over to him.

Sera:  Ensign Kettick…Ensign Kettick!

By the time Sera reached Ensign Kettick he had pushed himself upright and found his feet.  She stopped a few feet from him as she saw the fellow engineer canting his head to the side as he stared at her.  Sera self-consciously looked down, knowing this wasn’t the Starfleet issue she donned this morning to come down to the Ring.

Sera: It is the traditional garments worn by the Priestesses of Mount Seleya on my home world.  I awoke in this. ::gesturing at…everything::

Kettick: I see. And...

Sera waited patiently as the Remmilian paused his dialogue.

Kettick: has your current garb a specific significance that would be relevant to our situation?

Sera looked thoughtful at his inquiry.  Sera really had no idea why she had awoken dressed as a Vulcan Priestess.

Sera:  I am uncertain, Ensign Kettick.  This clothing would proclaim my specific position as a Keeper of the Katras, however, in the past they were also tasked in a ceremonial manner I suppose, in guarding the gateway to Sha-ka-ri – the afterlife.  As the last thing that the computer expressed was to “Enjoy eternity in the afterlife,” perhaps that is why I am dressed thusly. If you will allow, please give me your hand – it will lend clarification.

Kettick:  Response

Sera gently ran her fingertips over the palm of his offered hand but instead of feeling any thoughts or feelings from Ensign Kettick she perceived nothing…

Sera:  I sense nothing…we are not in our physical forms.  Perhaps the console transferred our consciousnesses into some type of simulation?

Kettick: Remmilians do not really believe in an afterlife. Which probably explains my appearance.

Sera: Then why change your clothing at all?  What do Remmilians believe in then?

Kettick: We believe in recycling, mostly.

Sera blinked.  Perhaps that was the reasoning behind his jumpsuit?  How very…literal.

A voice came out of nowhere from behind Sera.  Sera spun towards the threat, unsure of how she did not hear the unknown person come up upon them.  She frowned in annoyance.  This was not acceptable.

Kettick:  Response

Stranger:  Oh!  Visitors!  We so rarely get visitors!

Kettick:  Response

Stranger:  And you both are so…different!  This is fantastic.  We are all so bored here – your added experiences will be well received.  Come, come – please follow me.  ::gesturing::

Sera:  You do not understand.  This is...we do not desire to be here.

Stranger:  What?  Nonsense.  This is the afterlife – all your dreams are now made reality!  You will see – it is paradise.  Come, come!

Kettick:  Response

Sera:  I do not see any other viable option currently other than to follow them.

Kettick:  Response

TAG/TBC

---

Ensign Sera