Ensign Sival: Opportunities

James Scott Schumann

Sep 5, 2021, 12:35:55 PM9/5/21
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

(( Everything is IC. I think you’re all awesome and love the writing! ))

(( Short Time Skip ))

Sival barely knew his new crewmates, but he did already know that he respected most of them. Lt. Cmdr. T’Lea and and Lt. Cmdr. Indobri impressed him. What he monitored from Captain Oddas, Lt. Cmdr. Qinn and Ensign Falt impressed him as well. Not so much Lt. Tito, but something (which he knew to be his human intuition) told him to extend a hand of mercy. He looked forward to meeting the rest of the crew.

Yes, Sival respected the crew, and he wanted the crew to respect him in return. He knew that in his lowly position, ranked ‘Ensign,’ he would need to be the one making the first moves to earn that respect. Respect that would come…. eventually.

Sival was never known to be patient, and he certainly was not someone to wait until he was noticed. While he was an introvert by nature, throughout his professional life he had made an active effort to assert himself so he would be seen and be noticed, often with the undercurrent of ‘to make a difference’. He doubled-down on this philosophy when he joined Starfleet, and it was actively on his mind on this first day.

He was only going to have one first day aboard the Juneau - he needed to use it.

Early in his career, Sival had learned the importance of making friends and connections with as many people as possible because, down the line, these connections could prove valuable, especially when in a pinch. But for Sival, networking was more than just transactional - it was about creating friendships. And friendships were something that were honored in both his human and Vulcan heritages.

Thus Sival always reached out, even when it seemed uncomfortable or disagreeable to do so. If one accepted his friendship, then all the better. If one did not, nothing was lost, and Sival always (usually) left the door open for a friendship to develop in the future. The important thing was always to take advantage of the opportunity to reach out.

At the moment, sitting with Lt. Tito was an opportunity. Logic dictated that he should not ignore it and go sit alone.

Logic also dictated that he should be persistent.

Sival: Well, perhaps you could tell me a little about yourself. A favourite hobby, perhaps?

Tito: I taunt people, I thought you were smart enough to figure that out.

Sival blinked, then raised an eyebrow.

He realized that he had perhaps misjudged the situation, and perhaps Lt. Tito was not really interested in conversing with him.

However, Sival was not insulted, and he quickly came to his senses. He knew that people who lash out at others are in pain themselves. Sival did indeed find that dynamic fascinating. He had previously been in a profession that made a study of it, among other things, after all. A profession that still hadn’t explained the matter completely and with finality. So Sival had an opportunity to pose the question directly.

Sival: And why do you enjoy taunting people?

Tito: It’s less tiresome than using a punching bag, there is always someone around that tries to… Connect.

Sival wondered about those other situations in Lt Tito’s life, but he didn’t want to delve too deeply into professional matters, from Sival’s side, while off duty. So he tried to keep the conversation general.

Sival: Have you considered that other people may just want to be your friend? Why must you alienate everyone who tries to befriend you?

Tito: I have my reasons. Let’s just say the Universe is in debt to me, so until It pays back I am keeping my attitude.

Now this touched a nerve.

Sival believed we have three minds: an emotional mind, a rational mind and a wise mind. His emotional mind said that statement was ridiculous. His rational mind said that it was illogical that ‘life’ or ‘the Universe’ owes someone. His wise mind said that if emotions and logic were in agreement, then it probably was indeed a foolish sentiment. A childish and dangerous one at that.

Sival had to reply.

Sival: Lt. Tito, I would share these words with you. It is my hypothesis that we are owed nothing, and a great deal of suffering arises from believing otherwise. Lieutenant, things are what they are. We do not need to like them. They can ‘hurt like hell,’ to use a human expression. But to accept it anyway, radically, whole-heartedly, is the first step towards peace. Your peace, and the peace of everyone else who falls into your orbit.

Immediately, Sival’s ‘wise mind’ chided him. Yet he had to stand up to this man who used his ‘attitude,’ justified most illogically and selfishly, to be unkind to others. As a healer, it was not palatable. Thus, despite the risk, Sival believed that he had said something true and good.

No opportunity to say something both true and good should be wasted.

Especially on one’s first day in Starfleet.

Tito: Response

Sival: I appear to have finished my pasta. I thank you for your conversation. Excuse me.

And with that, Sival stood up, nodded at the lieutenant, and walked out of the room.

TAG, END for Sival.

---
Ensign Sival
Medical Officer