JP - Ensign Trovek and MSNPC: A Good Death - Lauer

Arys Trova

Nov 7, 2021, 2:54:37 PM11/7/21
to Juneau
((Ihalainen Medical Facility, Helsinki, Finland, Earth))

Lauer was making his way along the corridor. Usually once or twice a week he would go and check on Mister Ihalainen’s progress. Although he was fairly certain the progress would only lead one way.

He looked surprised when he opened the door and saw someone sitting on the floor of the man’s room. No, not someone. Arys. He quickly made his way towards her and helped her up.

Arys held onto Lauer but didn’t really see him.

Trovek: :: quietly, at Leevi:: I will… fix this. I will find out what is going on, and then I will fix this. I promise…

Arys swallowed hard as she turned away from the stasis field that kept her grandfather alive, feeling as if her legs were not carrying her as she made her way towards the door. Why hadn’t she been informed? She needed to speak to her father, and she didn’t care that Tuomas was doing his best to ignore her. She needed-… she needed to do something.

Lauer: Arys? What are you doing here?

Trovek: ::looking up in surprise:: Lauer - sorry, just…

She couldn’t finish the sentence. There were so many questions in her head, things she needed to find answers to.

Lauer: Let me help you.

Arys nodded meekly and, for the first time since the two had met several years ago, she allowed him to take control of a situation. He led her to a chair where she sat down, closing her eyes shut as she concentrated on her breathing.

oO Four seconds in, hold for four seconds, and then four seconds out. Oo

Trovek: Sorry it… I didn’t expect… this. That he is so-...

She couldn't finish the sentence.

Lauer kneeled down in front of her. It hurt him that she was hurting, but he was surprised that she hadn't known of her grandfather’s worsening condition. Still, part of him acknowledged that it was his opportunity to reconnect with her on a level she hadn’t previously allowed him to, and he held her hands gently.

Lauer: It’s okay, I am here.

Arys bit her lip, at that moment grateful for the reassurance Lauer offered. She regained her composure somewhat and looked at him.

Trovek: Since when is he like that?

Lauer tilted his head, surprised that she didn’t know. Her father told him that he had warned her. He offered a soft smile, at least enjoying the moment of finally supporting her the way he always wanted to.

Lauer: Has your father not told you? Mister Ihalainen has been in stasis for weeks.

Trovek: That… can’t be possible. I sent him a message every week, and he always replied.

Lauer didn’t react. It was likely that Arys’ father didn’t wish to worry her. That would explain her surprise. He shrugged.

Lauer: Perhaps your father is answering them. I am sure he didn’t want to alarm you.

Her father had answered those letters? Arys felt anger flare up inside her chest, but the feeling of grief was too overwhelming to let any other emotions surface.

Trovek: I don’t understand… What treatments are being done? What is my father trying?

Lauer leaned closer to her. It had been so long since they last were together. He never managed to take care of her as she deserved, now it was his chance.

Lauer: I have been coming once a week. There haven’t been any improvements.

Trovek: ::nodding slowly:: I… he shouldn’t be-.. He wouldn’t have wanted this… I-..

He put an arm around her, trying to pull her close to a hug.

Lauer: I am here for you.

Arys froze. Under normal circumstances, she would have pushed him away, but right now, the embrace was making her feel less alone. That said, even in her current state, part of her noted that he was overstepping.

But it was fine, right? He was a friend.

Trovek: ::quietly:: No one told me, Lauer…

He smiled as he held her in his arms. This felt so right. He selfishly let her suffering lower the walls that Arys always had around her, even when they were dating. Even when they started their relationship. One that ended on the eve of their wedding when she had told him that she couldn’t breathe when she was around him.

Lauer: I thought you knew. I am so sorry.

He patted her back and moved to stroke her hair, comforting her.

Trovek: ::nodding:: T-.. thank you… who else knows..? Does he get any visitors?

Tears filled her eyes but didn’t quite manage to escape their confinement, and even now, Arys was fighting to maintain her composure. Of course, she was by no means as professional as she usually was. But how could she? This was her grandfather, the man who had practically raised her.

Arys knew that he had reached the end of his life, and she had made her peace with it long ago, and instead of trying to delay the inevitable, she had tried to make him proud.

Lauer: Not that I know of. Your father only let me come because… Well, we always got along, even after you broke up with me.

He smiled, raising his hand from her back and caressing her cheek.

Lauer: Why don’t you come with me. It won’t help if you're weeping here. You know my place is close by.

Arys shook her head vehemently, even if the idea of escaping this place did appeal to her.

Leaving here with Lauer was tempting.

Trovek: I… what I really want to see is the medical files… I need to see what is going on and … can you help me to get them? Please?

Lauer managed to keep his sympathetic look, but inside he was smiling wide. Now she really was looking and needing his help. And he would help, obviously. For her, he would do anything. And she would return the favor the same way.

He lowered his voice, as he sat, keeping his arm around her.

Lauer: You know that you shouldn’t. And if I do that I can be in trouble.

Somewhere inside Arys' head, alarm bells started to ring. Still, she needed to see those medical files, and she decided to ignore any other feelings.

Trovek: I really need them… I need to know what is happening and since when.

Lauer: I do anything for you, always did… Always will... ::he looked around making sure nobody was listening.:: Let’s go to my office if we are doing this, it is easier there.

Arys nodded and got up, taking a few deep breaths to calm herself down and she followed Lauer.

Now that the initial moment of shock was over, her mind was going into solution mode.

Trovek: Okay… and thank you…

Lauer: Of course.

They made their way through the corridors until Lauer returned to his office. They entered and he closed the door behind them. Then he went to his desk and powered on the console, putting his access code and clearances.

Lauer: I am going to the files. ::He gestured to a PADD on the left side of his desk.:: You can download the data there.

He finished opening the access and stood, letting Arys sit on his chair, and Arys thanked him and sat down, accessing her grandfather’s file and looking through the medical history, trying to ignore Lauer who stood behind the chair, leaning closely.,

He closed his eyes as he scented the smell of her hair.

Lauer: If you need help finding what you want, just ask.

She nodded, but quickly began to focus on the task at hand, rather than Lauer.

What she found out wasn’t making the situation any better - if anything, it made it so much worse.

Her grandfather, so the file said, had been brought to the clinic in a state of sedation, and was immediately placed in a stasis chamber. He had been in there for almost three months, and all this time she had received responses to messages he had never gotten.

Even worse, the stasis was interrupted several times, for an hour or two each time, but no treatment had been administered.

The file also noted that Tuomas was the one who had decided on those treatments, or the lack thereof. Leevi’s do-not-resuscitate order hadn’t even been considered or logged into the file.

Lauer: Have you found what you needed to?

Trovek: I have. Thank you, Lauer.

He let her stand up and logged off the console. With a compassionate smile he stroked along the side of her arm.

Lauer: So, what will you do next?

Trovek: I… dont know. I need to think.

She pulled her arm away, and pocketed the PADD with the data she had just copied.

The way she pulled away made Lauer angry. He had just risked his job, his career for her, and now that she got what she needed she was going away.

Lauer: No, about repaying the favor.

He grabbed her arm now, a slightly stronger grip.

Arys looked at her arm, then at Lauer. It was an uncomfortable Déjà Vu, and yet completely different.e. There was an entirely different nature to the way he was grabbing her, and she was having none of that.

Her anger had waited for an outlet, and here Lauer presented an opportunity to release that anger.

Trovek: ::hissing:: What the-... let me go. I have no time for your shit, Lauer.

Lauer: So you think you can run away again? I was always there for you, the way you wanted me to. And now that you finally need me you think you're just going away?

Arys glared at him.

Yeah, no, this wasn’t going to happen.

Nope.

Just, nope.

Arys told him one last time, very clearly, to back off. And when Lauer decided to ignore her warning she kicked him. Hard. And where it really hurts.

Lauer felt the impact before anything else. He wasn’t sure, but it felt like Arys put her knee right between his legs. Actually, it was more like feeling a sledgehammer hit with extra balance.

He let go of her and began to curl, as he slowly dropped to the floor. At least to him it felt slow, he was gasping for air and an indescribable pain flooded his body. He couldn’t even voice this, mutter, cry or say something. He wanted to breathe, to ease the pain, but all he could do was roll on the floor. He couldn’t even cry as his eyes were shut so tightly it hurt.

Arys felt no pity for him.

As a matter of fact, she was tempted to kick him in the face for good measure, but instead, she simply left.

She had things to think about.

END SCENE

___________
Ensign Trovek Arys