Ensign Sival: Answering the Call

已查看 8 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

James Scott Schumann

未读,
2021年9月8日 05:36:082021/9/8
收件人 sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((OOC:  Sival will miss some of the dialogue as he moves around, so not all the dialogue and tags are in this post. But I have tagged Indobri and Tito.))

(( Auxiliary Cargo Bay 2, Deck 20, USS Juneau ))

The messages over the intercom came more frequently. Sival imagined the voices were amplified as they echoed throughout the cargo bay.

Quinn: =/\= Coho to Juneau, Alert Alert Alert, prepare shuttles Shark and Bear for launch. Incursion into the Captain’s Testing zone. Potential collision imminent with test vehicle.=/\=

Tito: =^= Emergency Alert. All crew of the USS Juneau. Anyone on the ship is to report to their posts immediately. All personnel outside report to the ship. This is not a drill, Juneau out.

Deveaux: =/\= Captain, that ship is getting too close. Recommend you increase output to one-hundred and twenty-five percent of recommended maximum. It will damage the engine, no doubt, but at this point ...=/\=

Sival: =/\= Captain, my sensors indicate a drop in cabin pressure. Recommend switching to EV life support at your earliest convenience. =/\=

Sival had responded to the warning on his monitoring station, informing him that overall cabin pressure, and thus oxygen levels, were decreasing. This would make the acceleration g-forces even more painful for Captain Oddas and Ensign Falt, and loss of consciousness would become more likely.

Beyond making this recommendation, there wasn’t much else Sival could do, except to ponder how uncomfortable the tumble must be for his two crewmates.

Oddas: ::straining:: =/\= Understood, EV suits are operating. =/\=

Qinn: Transporters operational and forwarded to your command, Lieutenant.

Falt: =/\= Distance 2 kilometers =/\=

Stelek: =/\= USS Coho to Unknown Ferengi vehicle, you are in restricted space and interfering in maneuvers, veer away immediately. =/\=

Qinn: =/\= No answer from the Ferengi vessel. Repeating the hail on all frequencies in the clear. Instructing the Juneau to launch rescue vessels=/\=

Deveaux: I am increasing the runabout’s engine output by twenty percent, Commander. I dare not take it any higher.

Tito: =^= Tito to Sival, prepare for medical emergency report to main shuttle bay.

Finally, Sival could do something. He immediately fell onto procedure and his academy training. Relying on checklists and being in-the-moment helped a doctor triage and remain clear-headed in the midst of chaos. For Sival, it also helped detach him from emotion.

So, even though he had been monitoring the situation, he replied as trained.

Sival: =/\= Understood, Sir. What is the nature of the emergency?

Tito: =^= The Captain’s test flight ran into problems. We don’t have the details, get ready to render assistance. You will be boarding the Halibut. Tito out.

Sival: =/\= Acknowledged, Sir. Sival out.

Just as Sival began making his way toward the cargo bay doors, an alarming announcement came over the intercom. It was the Captain. Her voice was hardly recognizable from the smooth and calm one he observed when he had first arrived to monitor the test flight.

Oddas: =/\= Emergency! Emergency! This is the Allahayer! Collision! Collision! Collision! The Feringi vessel has =/\= ::grunt:: =/\= ...glancing blow! I am attempting to stabilize the lateral spin. =/\=

Qinn: =/\= Mayday Mayday Mayday, USS Coho to all vessels and stations, collision reported between test craft and unidentified Ferengi vessel. Ferengi vessel venting drive plasma, approach at your own risk. Test Platform spinning and in danger, USS Coho, Bear, and Shark proceeding to incident at maximum impulse Mayday Mayday Mayday =/\=

Tito: =^= Juneau to Coho, Tito here. I am sending a medical team in the Halibut. We are hurrying the Juneau but it will take at least twenty minutes to power it up. What else can we do?

The flurry of communication traffic continued as Sival walked out of the cargo bay and the doors closed behind him.

(( Corridor outside of Auxiliary Cargo Bay 2, Deck 20, USS Juneau ))

As he sped to the turbolift, he contacted Dr. Indobri.

Sival: =/\= Sival to Doctor Indobri. I am proceeding to the Halibut to intercept the Captain’s shuttle with medical assistance. Be prepared for potential casualties. =/\=

Indobri: Response

Sival: =/\= Understood, Ma’am. Permission to take Ensign Pelley along. =/\=

Indobri: Response

Sival: =/\= Acknowledged, Ma’am. =/\=

(( Turbolift, Decks 24 - 7, USS Juneau ))

The turbolift doors opened, then closed.

Sival: =/\= Main Shuttle Bay. Sival to Ensign Pelley. We are departing in the Halibut in 3 minutes. =/\=

Pelley: =/\= Acknowledged. =/\=

Sival had overestimated his time. In just under thirty seconds, the turbolift had climbed 17 decks and had arrived at the main shuttle bay.

(( Main Shuttle Bay, Deck 7, USS Juneau ))

(( OOC: I think Sival’s on Deck 7. Apologies if I’m in error. ))

Since at least the 2240’s and the era of the Ambassador-class starships, cargo and shuttle bays had been multi-purposed for medical use for large-scale operations. Thus, by the 2390s, these facilities were always stocked with readily-accessible medical supplies per standard operating procedure. This was fortunately true on the USS Juneau as well, where it was tempting not to be the case as its main shuttle bay shared a deck with Main Sickbay. Thus Sival only needed to grab a medical kit attached alongside the wall as he entered, without needing to stop walking or even slow down.

As Sival grabbed the medkit, the enormous shuttle bay doors in front of him were opening. The accompanying alarms were sounding, and everyone was scrambling to clear the deck. As the mass of people cleared, the Halibut became clear before Sival. Its door was already open, with its pilot standing alongside it.

Sival scanned for the nurse.

Sival: Ensign Pelley?

At that moment, the shuttle bay doors opened, and leaving what appeared to be a streak of teal-blue behind her, a human woman appeared beside him. Not out of breath with almost Vulcan-like composure, she addressed Sival.

Pelley: Ensign Pelley, ready, Doctor.

Sival: Then let’s proceed.

The pilot had already taken his seat. Sival entered the craft, followed by Nurse Pelley. The shuttle doors were closing as the two began to take their seats.

Sival: =/\= Sival to Lieutenant Tito. Nurse Pelley and I are on the Halibut, ready to disembark on your command, Sir. =/\=

Tito: Response

Sival: Acknowledged.

With that, the shuttle silently hovered about a meter up then sped out of the bay, the only noise it made was the static burst when it penetrated the bay’s forcefield.

(( Shuttlecraft Halibut, near USS Juneau ))

Pilot: Brace. Accelerating to full impulse now.

Sival clutched his medkit as he felt himself pressed into his chair while the shuttle accelerated faster than its inertia dampeners could compensate for.

As Sival looked to his right, he was at an angle to see one of Lightside Station’s docking clamps detaching from the Juneau. Sival surmised the Juneau was in the process of being dismoored. The scene rapidly decreased in size as the shuttle sped away, until it was only a bright point of light.

(( Shuttlecraft Halibut, Open Space ))

Ahead of him, a scene of quite a different nature began to unfold. As the Halibut pulled up alongside the Coho, the first thing Sival noticed was plasma, which trailed back to a Feregeni ship. The ship was off of its axial balance in relation to the two shuttles, seemingly dead in space.

Then, there was the real show. Directly in front of them with the Allahayer, still spinning out of control, spiraling so fast that it almost registered as a blur to Sival’s naked eye. Sival wondered if it were even possible if the craft’s two occupants could still be conscious in such a spin. He needed to find out.

Sival: Pilot, patch us through to the emergency communications channel, please.

Falt: =/\= Ensign Falt to Juneau. Confirmed visual on a Ferengi shuttlepod. It’s unlikely it got out here on it’s own… =/\=

Any: =/\= Response =/\=

Oddas: =/\= Coho, if you are going to engage a tractor beam I would appreciate it sooner rather than later - the hasperat I had for breakfast is threatening a reappearance. =/\=

Falt/Juneau/Any: =/\= Response =/\=

Sival did have some training as a first responder. Thus he knew it was important to know when to jump into a developing situation. At this moment, all he could do was announce his presence as the situation was still in progress. The captain’s ship was still in a roll. The Ferengi ship was not yet secured. So, he was back at another waiting point. Another stop light, as it were. Helpless, for the moment.

Sival: =/\= Sival and Pelley on scene aboard the Halibut, standing by. =/\=

Oddas: =/\= Rend assistance to the Ferengi vessel, hopefully this is what it seems like: some sort of misunderstanding. =/\=

Any: =/\= Response =/\=

TAG/TBC

---
Ensign Sival