Ensign Trovek - A Good Death - Last Will

Arys Trova

Nov 13, 2021, 6:32:53 AM11/13/21
to Juneau
((Solicitors office, Helsinki, Finland, Earth))

V’Lie wouldn’t describe her occupation as solicitor as one that was particularly enjoyable or disagreeable. Then again the Vulcan found very few things enjoyable or disagreeable, and it had taken her some years to fully embrace that other species attributed certain emotions to certain subjects, and she had only recently, and after reviewing the available data, learned which face to make in what situation. Even if she personally had no emotional attachment to the outcome of most of these matters, she found it put others at ease when she displayed the appropriate emotion.

But as the solicitor found herself sitting in her office and regarding the two individuals who had shown up as beneficiaries of Leevi Ihalainens will, she couldn’t help but raise the typical Vulcan eyebrow. In front of her sat father and daughter, both as far away from each other, and the one couldn’t be more different from the other.

The man, she knew, was Tuomas Trovek, formerly Ihalainen, and the son of the deceased. He looked even older than she was, and like he had decided that regular sonic showers and a haircut were rules of society that didn't apply to him. His head was bowed and he didn’t make eye contact with anyone, though to the Vulcan his emotion didn’t resemble grief as much as they resembled nervosity.

His daughter, Arys Trovek, was part Bajoran, and the complete opposite with her glossy black hair, subtle make-up and dressed in dark colors. She was composed and didn’t seem to subscribe to the usual human display of emotion as she waited quietly for someone to speak.

And so, V’Lie did.

V’Lie: Mister and Miss Trovek, thank you for coming. I can understand that this is a difficult time for both you, and I hope to get the matter of inheritance sorted quickly. ::she made an understanding face:: It is lucky that Mister Ihalainen has left a will, which is legally binding.

Both nodded, but it was only Miss Trovek that spoke up.

Trovek: Thank you.

V’Lie nodded and glanced at the documentation in front of her. Mister Ihalainen had indeed been very specific in his wishes, The Vulcan looked up again, making a frowning face. She had expected someone else to join them, but it seemed that even the deceased hadn’t expected him to show up. Still she had to ask.

V’Lie: One of the beneficiaries, but only in case of his attendance to this meeting, is Trovek Aaron. I have had him informed, but it seems he opted not to show up.

Trovek: ::bitterly::  I doubt he will.

Her father once more opted not to speak.

V’Lie: ::nodding:: That makes this part easy, then. In case of absence, Mister Ihalainen has decided that Mister Trovek’s inheritance, namely the property on Bajor which  you will find in appendix b-2 of the available for review, will be donated towards the Institute of Bajoran-Cardassian friendship. I see.

What an odd name, and what an odd idea. Bajoran-Cardassian friendship. But who was she to judge.

Mister Trovek - Tuomas, that was - let out a sigh, while his daughter seemed almost amused. With an internal shrug, the solicitor continued.

V’Lie: Miss Trovek, thank you for coming. ::she looked at the half-Bajoran woman:: Your grandfather stated in his last update of his will that he is very proud of you for joining Starfleet despite having to give up a prior career for it. In order to make sure that you always have a place on Earth that you can call your home, he has decided to bequeath you the property in appendix b-3, which is a cabin in northern Finland. ::she gave the woman a moment to indicate that she had understood what was being said. Then she continued:: You also inherit a collection of documents and personal logs, which will be brought to you shortly.

It was then that Tuomas Trovek stirred and looked at his daughter.

Tuomas: Arys, you don’t need all this old stuff. Where would you even take it? To the Juneau? You can leave it with me.

There was an air of desperation in his voice, something the young woman also seemed to pick up on. Her voice was soft as she replied.

Trovek: I am sure I can manage. But of course you can read them too, if you want.

Her father did not seem satisfied with that response, and looked away again. V’Lie continued to read out the extent of Arys’ inheritance, including little things such as liquor and jewelry, before she moved on to the anxious looking father.

V’Lie: Mister Trovek, you are inheriting the house mentioned in appendix b-1, which I believe is your current residence. Furthermore, you receive your father’s shares in ownership of Ihalainen Fertility Clinic as an acknowledgement of the excellent work you have been doing.

The man nodded solemnly and returned to burying his face in his palms. The rest of Mister Ihalainen’s possessions were being donated to various organizations, and eventually, V’Lie was able to allow what remained of the Trovek-Family to leave.

______________________

Tuomas: Arys.

Arys turned around to her father as she heard him call her name. It had been difficult with him, and while Arys could understand why he hated her for ending her grandfather’s life, she didn’t find his reaction fair. Perhaps now he would speak to her.

Trovek: Yes?
Tuomas: ::hesitating:: uh… uhm… you know… what I meant about those logs, they are really a lot to take around with you. And you are just an Ensign, that means shared quarters, right? Limited space. I can keep them for you..

Trovek: It… it fine, really. I think I would like to read them, you know?

She offered a careful smile, one Tuomas ignored.

Tuomas: ::clenching his fists:: Not only did you murder him… he was MY father. But no, it’s always about you… aren’t you even the slightest bit ashamed of yourself? You took him away from me! At least have the decency to let me see those documents and PADDs you inherited!

Arys frowned and drew back, wrapping her coat tightly around her frame. As much as she wanted to reconcile with her father, it was clear to her that he didn’t feel the same. And as sad as that made her, that sadness wasn’t helping right now.

Trovek: I inherited them. He left them to me, not to you. So I will take them along, or store them somewhere, and I will value them like grandfather would have expected of me. After what you have done to him, perhaps you want to refrain from blaming me on what happened.

Tuomas was getting furious. He took a step forward, and for a moment it looked like he was going to slap her.

Tuomas: Then get out of MY house. You are no longer wanted here. I never want to see you again!

Arys swallowed hard, trying to keep a straight face even as her heart shattered. Ihalainen Residence had been her home for thirty-one years. And now she was asked to leave.

She opened her mouth to say something, but doubted that it would change anything. And so she merely nodded, turned around, and left.

Ensign Trovek Arys
Counselor
USS Juneau
J239809TA4