(JP) PNPC LtJG Nyka Wyss & Lt. Cmdr. Karise Indobri - Night Fever, Pt. 2

Karise Indobri

Aug 30, 2021, 9:58:30 AM8/30/21
to USS Juneau
(( Botanical Gardens, Lightside Station ))
(( takes place a few minutes after they leave The Soliton Wave ))

They had strolled through the station’s marketplace, using the guise of hunger to tip-toe around the delicate issue of what this so-called friendship was, or was not turning into, and after a quick snack and idle conversation they found themselves meandering almost giddily through the lush pathways of the gardens.

Nyka just couldn’t seem to stop smiling, or looking at the Rodulan. Of all the gorgeous flowers, and marvelous trees, all she wanted to see was Karise. She was afraid if she took her eyes off the beautiful woman that she’d disappear and it would all be over.  Again.

Wyss: You know, I think that’s twice now you’ve saved my life. I’m starting to wonder if somebody’s trying to tell me something.

Indobri: That you need to be more careful? Personally, I think it’s just a ploy to get near me.

She was trying to tease and be playful, but there was a certain level of flirtiness there that she just couldn’t help.

Wyss chuckled, and matched her pace through the vibrant array of foliage. It was almost as colorful as the night club lights.

Wyss: Yeah, seems that way. Things just keep trying to kill me. Which is crazy, cos I’d like to think I’m likable. Maybe, just maybe, I enjoy a little thrill here and there, but it’s not like I have a death wish.

oO  Just keep talking so that you don’t have to examine what happened at the nightclub. But don’t say anything stupid. Oo

Wyss:  I mean, it’s not my fault the Wiggins shot me with mind-altering Caretaker-juice, and nearly put me into a coma. Right? Maybe I’m looking at it wrong.  ::grinning and walking backwards in front of her to make a grand sarcastic gesture:: I’m so awesome the city nearly sucked me dry.

oO  Well, that wasn’t just stupid, but loaded with innuendo. Oo

She clamped her mouth shut, turned and fell back into pace with Indobri. In her mind she was begging the Rodulan to let that comment go.

Karise laughed. A bright, melodic laugh. This was why she loved Nyka. She had a quirky way of expressing things that just made her a delight to be around. And if something wanted to “suck her dry,” well she could hardly fault them for that, now could she?

Indobri: Yes, well maybe it’s a good idea to keep your doctor on hand then. I mean, if the universe has it out for you, then having your own personal physician isn’t such a bad idea.

Nyka reached over and plucked a purple flower from one of the many bushes sprawling along the well-maintained path. She handed it Karise, and flashed a sheepish smile.

Wyss: Thank you for ignoring the stupid that comes out of my mouth sometimes.

Surprised and stunned, Karise took the flower and held it next to the wine bottle.

Indobri: :: laughing :: I don’t ignore it, Red. I love that about you. And you’re far from stupid.

Wyss: And thank you for this. It’s helped me get my mind off that City and what it did to me.

Karise suddenly got a bit more serious, well as much as she could given how much the wine was still affecting her, and she still had the half finished bottle with her.

Indobri: I can’t even imagine what that must have been like. It was probably like being trapped in a nightmare or something.

Wyss: No, actually. It was kind of nice, except for the lack of free-will. I don’t blame it, really. It was just trying to survive and save its people.

Karise had not expected her to be so understanding. Her people had a law about the misuse of their telepathic powers. It was one of their highest crimes because of the level of potential that abuse could bring about. She wasn’t so sure she could be that forgiving if it had happened to her.

Indobri: I don’t understand how you can say that, Nyka?

Wyss: I mean, it felt like I belonged, like I had a purpose. Like I was important, you know? And then I wasn’t. So, yeah, that was crappy, but up till then, I hate to say it, but I wanted to stay. ::wagging her head:: It’s complicated. ::chuckle:: You’re looking at me like I’m nuts.

Indobri: :: shaking her head :: No, not nuts, Nyka. I’m sorry it took an experience like that for you to feel like you belonged somewhere. It saddens me a lot to think that you have felt so lonely and isolated. And I don’t understand why, but when you are ready, I know you will tell me.

The Red Head glanced down at the stone path, noting the rough texture and under foot.  Could she really divulge her origins to the woman?  The answer was yes.  She wanted to badly.

She lifted her green-eyed gaze up to Karise and nodded.

Wyss: It’s complicated and it may put me in a different light. I don’t want you to look at me any differently than you are, right here and now

Indobri: No, Nyka. Whatever has happened to you, I will not judge you. I don’t know how or why, but I have … Well, I just can’t hate you for anything. Even leaving me like you did. It hurt, but I just can’t hate you for it.

And why was that. Only a few hours ago, she was drinking away her misery over the other woman. Now, all of her previous feelings for Red had returned in full force. Had she really just never gotten over the woman and was trying to find solace in another. She shook her head once more, bracing herself on Nyka’s shoulder as the action caused the station to spin courtesy of the Rodulan Red, and chastised herself for trying to analyze things again. She really just wanted to live in the moment for now.

Wyss nodded a bit more somberly, wondering how much of what she said was true, and could it withstand her secret – a secret that had the potential to end more than their budding relationship, and more than Nyka’s career – but her life here in this universe.  She feared what SFI and the Temporal Agency would do to her. But she also trusted Indobri.

Out of the corner of her green eyes she saw the Rodulan twirl the flower in her fingers, and grinned longingly.

She looked at the beautiful purple flower Nyka had given her and decided to slide it into her hair right next to her ear.

Indobri: What do you think? Does it match the outfit?

In a flash of insanity Wyss ducked in front of her, snatched the flower from her ear, and then shoved it in her own mouth.

Karise’s jaw dropped for a long second before indignation set in.

Indobri: Hey! What are you doing? I liked that flower! A gorgeous redhead gave it to me.

Ignoring Rodulan's shock, the Red Head turned to face a man wearing a uniform. He was all business and quickly approaching.

Botanical Technician: Good evening ladies. Enjoying yourselves?

Nyka plastered a fake smile, unable to open her mouth because the thing inside was almost gagging her.

Karise giggled as she took in the man in his uniform, the mostly empty bottle of wine dangling from her hand.

Indobri: Heyyy! Yes. Yes, we are. Well, not yet, but we’re getting closer to it.

The man only grinned broadly and shook his head as he continued on his way. Karise let out a little snorting chortle and looked back at Red.

Once the man passed and was good and gone, Nyka spat out the crushed flower with a “blagh”.  Her face soured at the dismembered petals in her hand.

Wyss: I really hope this isn’t poisonous.

Indobri: Oh, that would be bad. :: laughing :: But then I would have to save your life again. Why did you put it in your mouth anyway? I wanted that flower.

Nyka aimed her eyes pointedly at the sign up ahead of them. In big bold letters it read, “DO NOT REMOVE FLOWERS OR FOLIAGE FROM THE GARDEN’S ECO-SYSTEM. Violators will be fined! Thank you!”

She dipped at the knees in a smart little curtsy to Karise.

Wyss: You’re welcome. ::at the flower:: You probably don’t want this back.

Indobri: No, haha, probably not. It has your spit all over it.

She laughed at that, finding it amusing that he would object to the woman’s spit on a flower given all the kissing they had been doing over the last half hour or more

((time skip))

((USS Juneau – Corridor))

The night was drawing to a close, and between the two of them the bottle of wine was down to its last drop. Wyss stumbled a little into the wall, and then laughed at herself.  She wasn’t totally hammered, but she was tipsy enough to realize that she’d crossed her threshold.

Wyss: Whoa. I don’t remember revolving walls on the Chewno.

Indobri: :: snuggling against Nyka’s neck briefly :: It’s a new feature they just added. But maybe it is a good thing the wine is almost gone. You want the last drink?

Wyss: I’m good. I’m good. You good?

Indobri: I’mmmm gweat.

She stumbled a bit as she came down wrong on the stiletto heel and her ankle wobbled. Fortunately, she hadn’t twisted it or worse, but she grabbed ahold of Nyka for support as she laughed once more. Yes, she was definitely feeling very good now.

Wyss:  Good.  ::glancing around at the corridor:: I miss this place. The Gracie is a good little ship, but this… this is an engineer’s dream boat. It’s the engines, you know. They do something to me. ::laugh:: Like electrocute me.

Literally, that’s exactly what they had done to her.

Karise wanted to do something to her, too, but this was not the right place for that. She grabbed the woman’s hand and dragged her the last bit to her quarters.

Indobri: It’s your turn to save me, Red.

The door didn’t even open before Karise had her pinned up against it, kissing her once more. As the door slid open, the two tumbled inside and the door shut behind them.

((The next morning, Karise Indobri’s Quarters, Deck 5, USS Juneau))

Karise stretched and tried to clear her head. Her mind was in a post alcoholic fog again. It was starting to become her routine, and somehow she thought she should be worried about that. She was just finishing her stretch when her hand bumped into something soft and warm.

oO What in the universe was that? Oo

She rolled over to get a look and lying next to her was a gorgeous woman with red hair. She had no recollection of bringing anyone back to her quarters, though a redhead didn’t much surprise her. Of all of her interests, only one had hair that wasn’t red. She couldn’t quite see the face of the person, so she gently brushed back her hair, being careful not to wake the sleeping beauty and nearly lost her breath when she saw the face.

The whole night came back to her, as if in a blur, and for some reason, she just prayed that the woman wouldn’t bolt on her again like she had the last time. She leaned over and gave Nyka a light kiss on her forehead and was rewarded when the woman began to stir.

Indobri: Good morning, beautiful. Sleep well?

Wyss: Response

~~~~

Lt Commander Karise Indobri, MD

Chief Medical Officer