Lieutenant Commander Kalia Qinn - What a View

Patrick Dennett

Jan 24, 2022, 1:35:30 PM1/24/22
to Juneau

((Campsite, Ring 42))

Qinn: I’m sure it’s nothing, but we’re still exploring this ring.  The Botanists on the Hopper haven’t cataloged all of the plant life down here, the last thing I need is to rush you back to the Juneau having an allergic reaction to some poisonous plant life, as much as it will fascinate the science department.

Roehl: Right. Speaking of… maybe I should contact Operations about my quarters, Commander. The sooner I get settled, the sooner I can get to work with the science team.

Qinn: Of course.  Tell them you checked in with me, and they’ll assign you quarters.

Voram picked up their two cases from the ground and started to walk out the way they had come from. Then they stopped.

Roehl: One last thing, Commander. Who should I  contact to do my Starfleet physical?

Qinn: Our chief medical officer is currently down sick.  The next senior doctor would be Doctor Vihn.

Vihn: I'm more than willing to help.

Qinn: Thank you, Doctor.

Kalia was very aware that the tension between the two siblings was on the rise.  Although she thought there might be a hint of regret as well coming from Motor.  She’d let things play out for now, she hoped they would be able to work it out, but if not, she’d have a talk with them, or refer them to R’Kala for counseling

Voram stopped in their tracks and looked at Motor again.

Roehl: Great. We can have it whenever you’re free, Doctor. ::They tried to hide their cringed expression, but weren't entirely successful.:: And after you get that hand looked at, of course.

Dekas: I do know that, ah, recently Doctor Indobri is starting back on her feet after recovering from her illness if you need someone on the ship. I’d also suggest Nurse Pelley, but I’m not quite sure if she has the official certifications to say someone is cleared for duty. I haven’t asked. But that’s only if you feel you need someone sooner than later.

Vihn: ::shifting their weight.:: If that's what you'd prefer, Voram.

Roehl: Response

Dekas: ::gently:: Speaking of doctors. Can I see?

Vihn: I'm really quite alright, Dekas. I can look it over myself.

Dekas: I know you can handle it, you’re very talented. But you saved my life, I think I can get away with helping make sure you’re okay. Besides, I’ll take any excuse to hold hands.

Vihn: I put myself in your capable hands, then, Dekas.

Tashi: ~Mom, why are they angry?~

Qinn: ~I’m not sure, sometimes siblings fight.  You’re aunt and uncle fight a lot.  No more telepathy while non telepaths are around.~

Roehl: Response

Dekas: I can’t explain why, and it might just be me, but my instincts say rain? Except rationally I know it’s not rainy here. It’s very strange.

The Trill looked around with a thoughtful frown.

Vihn: Must just be something in the air. Artificial atmosphere and all that.

Tashi: Is your hand ok, Doctor?

Roehl: Response

Vihn: I'm not terribly worried about it, either way. The tents could handle a little rain. ::A brief pause.:: I think.

Dekas: They are Starfleet grade, they’ll be fine.

Qinn: If they can’t handle rain, I need to have a chat with someone in the supply office.

Roehl: Response

Vihn: ::looking over everyone except Voram.:: Maybe, just in case, let's go ahead and get finished setting up, yeah? I'd rather not get rained on for sitting around.

Qinn: Good idea, doctor.  I’ll put up the awning and get a fire started now while everything is dry.

Roehl: Response

Vihn/Qinn/Tashi/Roehl: Response

It took an average amount of time to get it properly set up. It was the only time he let his urge to be the mother bird take over.

Dekas: ::softly:: I know you’re partial to telling people that it’s okay. You’re a doctor, it’s in your nature. And maybe you’d like me to tell you that it is all okay so you can continue to pretend you’re not feeling things right now. But I’m not a doctor, I’m an Engineer. If I saw the warp engine was on the verge of exploding, telling everyone else that the warp engine was perfectly fine and just overheating a little bit would do nothing to stop it from exploding in the end. Instead I’d have to try and get the core temperature down first, assess what was actually wrong in the time I just gave myself, and get the support of those around me to help out. So I won’t tell you that it’s okay, because you’re the only person who can really know if you are. It’s counterintuitive to ask you to pretend that nothing is wrong. It hurts to see someone you care about react negatively to you. Even if there is a reason, fair or unfair on either side, that is a painful experience to have, and it is normal to feel angry, sad, or upset. If that’s not it, then it’s still something to be aware of. My professional engineer’s diagnostic is just to acknowledge that if you feel those things escalating, be sure to try and bring your core temperature down and assess what is actually wrong in the time you give yourself so that you’re not so upset that you can’t seek the support of people around you. And so that you do not implode and explode. It won’t destroy a ship, but it can send out emotional shrapnel. You might think it hurts others more, but I assure you it will hurt you the most. As a friend, I already love you, and would prefer not to see you hurt like that because you wanted to pretend you felt nothing.

Vihn: Response

Kalia would have liked to pretend she was some die hard survivalist and could make a friction fire, but she’d have been lying through her teeth.  She cheated and used the sparker in their supplies to light the tinder and get the fire going.  She did remember enough of her survival training from the academy to set it up properly from there, and, satisfied with her work, stood back up as Tashi finished loading their gear into the tent.

Roehl: Response

Dekas: So, I think there was interest in drawing the curve of the ring?

Kalia felt her daughter's interest shoot through the roof as she does back into the tent and retrieved her art supplies.  She rushed over to join Kalia and Dekas, begging to go.

Tashi: Can we, mom?

Qinn: ::Grinning::  That’s one of the reasons we came here, might as well get it in while the weather is good.  You’re welcome to join us as well Ensign Roehl, if you want to, but getting settled into your quarters is just as important, your choice.

(OOC: Leaving this generic to allow Roehl to stay or leave as you want)

Vihn/Roehl: Response

They headed off on the trail to the lake.  Tashi took up a spot a stride ahead and a step to the right as Kalia leaned on their connection a bit more heavily than normal, as a guide.  She would have liked her husband there as well for a hike with uneven terrain, but the path seemed easy enough as long as everyone was paying attention, Kalia should have been able to keep her bearings.

Dekas/Vihn/Roehl: Response

They arrived at the lake, and from the tone of everyone’s reactions it was a very pretty location.  Her daughter moved her to a spot where she could sit and she sat down and relaxed.

Tashi: You really can see it curving, Mom.  Well…I can.

Kalia felt the smirk in her daughter’s voice.  From the outside it may have seemed insensitive, but it wasn’t.  Humor had always been the way to deal with those things that just didn’t translate to telepathy.  She knew how much awe her daughter was feeling, and her daughter knew her mom was enjoying that while she enjoyed the view.

Qinn: Har har, Tash.  Get drawing, before we get rained out.

Dekas/Vihn/Roehl(?): Response

Tashi: Mom, there’s not even a cloud.  It doesn’t look like it’s going to rain at all.

Qinn: It’s an artificial weather system, that could change very quickly if the system decides it needs to rain for some reason.  Doctor Vihn, how’s the view for your art?

Dekas/Vihn/Roehl(?): Response

===

Lieutenant Commander Kalia Qinn

Executive Officer