Lt. Commander Chandra Amari and Captain Oddas Aria: Maiden Awards

Nicholas St Gabriel

Jul 20, 2020, 2:01:42 PM7/20/20
to Juneau
(( Clanhouse, Deck 10, USS Juneau, Awards Ceremony ))

She stood at the clear window nursing her drink, not because she was afraid of drinking it down, but because there were optics to consider and the thought of the crew watching their Captain down a glass of Kali Fal before speaking to them was not something she wanted to impart.  It was true, she knew, she often used props such as drinks to hide the fact she fidgeted, but she hoped the crew saw it as something else - socialization.  For a moment she was back in the past, a teenager, still in secondary school and her father, the Colonel, was admonishing her for not being able to sit still for more than a few moments.

It had been several years Alea's father had pulled her aside, shoved a drink in her hand, winked, and said 'just fool the crowd, you'll do fine'.

The crew was filing in, forming their little pockets which meant it was time to get everyone's attention.  She took a deep breath and approached the small podium, stained wood to match the rest of the room contrasting her dress whites, her PADD with remarks mostly memorized already placed by the staff.  She placed the blue drink next to the PADD and cleared her throat, waiting for the acting XO to join her.

Oddas: Good Evening everyone, thank you for coming.  Those of you who don't know me know I love long speeches, so please settle in, those who do, well, please don't ruin the surprise.  :: she smiled softly:: First and foremost if you haven't heard the crew who transferred to the USS Arrow have been tasked with keeping it flying and made it safely to Starbase 821 under the command of Commander Shayne.  We hope them the best and will support them the best we can.  The comet we encountered in the Uiliv system has been confirmed destroyed by the probes we left behind.  The inhabitants of the system are safe thanks to your efforts, the perpetrators of the crime - the People taken into custody - insist they were acting alone - but have been taken into custody by Starfleet Security for questioning.

She paused, not particularly believing the 'rogue element' story, but not being able to do anything about it.

Oddas: Let me say to you, the crew of the Juneau, you did exemplary work - the success of the mission would not have been possible without you.  The Uilivian people, Starfleet, The Juneau, and I, owe you a debt of gratitude that will be hard to repay.

She paused for a moment to let the applause ring out a bit before continuing.

Oddas: For participating in the official first mission of the Juneau, the entire crew is awarded the 'Maiden Voyage Ribbon'. On a personal note, from someone for whom the ship means so much, thank you all for brining it back in such good shape.

Amari: Response

Oddas: If Doctor Indobri could join me? :: pause :: For the effort you put into saving one Mister Wyss, please accept the Silver Life Saving Ribbon.  Doing the work of a Starfleet Doctor is never easy, especially when the ship is undergoing power drains and other circumstances.  Thank you for keeping us safe.

Aria passed her the small wooden box with the ribbon contained inside.

Amari: Response

Indobri: Response

Oddas: Not so fast Doctor, Mister Wyss?  For your work under pressure, for performing exemplary in the course of your duties, I award you Captain's Commendations.

Wyss/Indobri: Response

Amari: Response

Oddas: Mister Wyss, :: she motioned for the engineer to stay:: your work on the Engine was a little unorthodox, but it did keep the ship safe and working, While I am not sure I would ask you to do it again, there is no doubting that it was innovative, so please, take the 'Innovation Ribbon' and keep the ideas coming.

Amari: Response

Wyss: Response

Aria looked at the next award on her list, closed her eye and let out a small sigh.

Oddas: When crewmen get injured on the ship it is no easy thing as a Captain.  A mentor of mine told me that is why we have so much ritual, award, and belief tied up in it - not because it is an easy thing, but because it is hard.  Ensign Wyss, Ensign Levinson, if you would come forward?  The Purple Heart is given for injuries in the line of duty, the smallest gesture we can give to acknowledge the sacrifice you have made in order to keep others safe.  For your injuries in the course of the mission we award you both the Purple Heart as a 'thank you', as a recognition, and as a request to not make it a habit.  It's hard on the nerves.

After Aria handed out the awards she led the crew in a long round of applause.

Wyss/Levinson: Response

Amari: Response

Oddas: Stick around Mister Levinson, come forward Mister Hontrú.  Based on the mission reports of the Away Team Leaders, the behavior you both showed on the Comet's surface was exemplary, I would say even 'Good'.  For that, I am very pleased to present to you both the Good Conduct Ribbon.

Amari: Response

Levinson/Levinson: Response

She allowed herself a small sip of her drink as the applause died down. There were only a few things left on the list.

Oddas: Finally, if I could have Ensign Levinson and Ensign Wyss join me.   :: pause :: Ensign Wyss, for your exemplary work, though you have been with us a short time, I am herby promoting you to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade, with all the rights and privileges hereto.

She took the small box containing a half pip and pinned it to the red-haired Engineer's uniform before shaking her hand.

Oddas: Congratulations.

Amari/Wyss: Response

Oddas: Ensign Levinson, I am promoting you to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade - additionally, you are herby installed as Acting Chief of the Science division, with all the rights and privileges hereto. :: she smiled gently :: Good luck.

Aria knew what it was like to be a Chief, or XO for that matter, with more senior officers around, but it was going to be interesting to see if the young Vulcanoid would rise to the occasion.  She pinned the half-pip to the collar of the woman then squeezed her shoulder before moving off.

Levinson/Amari: Response

She looked out at the crowd one more time and smiled, it was a good crew, even if the maiden voyage had not exactly been picture perfect.  She turned her PADD over.

Oddas:  You have all done great work, excellent work, and I could not be more proud of you.  We saved an entire civilization and did so as if it was just another day - because that's what we do.  I could not ask for a better crew, and to think we are just getting started, I know we are going to great things.  Keep up the great work as continue to tell an amazing story, one that will be known in the annals of the Federations.  Today we have started telling that story, we started telling it when we left the Ring, we started it when we found the Arrow, and continue today as we say goodbye to Commander Amari who has been helping us run things.

Amari: Response

Orrey: Response

TAG, TBC

Captain Oddas Aria
Commanding Officer
USS Juneau, NX-99801
E239305OA0

and

Lt. Commander Chandra Amari
Executive Officer
USS Juneau, NX-99801
R238605KN0

Sense is never common. -Robert Heinlein

Wiki: https://wiki.starbase118.net/wiki/index.php/Oddas_Aria

Nicholas St Gabriel

Jul 20, 2020, 3:07:26 PM7/20/20
to Juneau
((OOC: Turns out if you ctrl-C / paste you could make sure you do it to the right thing.  Sorry about that.  Now, with Amari's contributions. ))

[...]

Chandra took that as her cue and moved from her place close to the front of the room to her new place next to the Captain. This was so exciting for her, to be a part of this and to reward the crew who worked extra hard during the last mission to save lives with awards that let them know they were recognized for their work was probably going to be the best part of the job. She smiled at the crowd as the Captain began to speak.

[...]

(OOC – also, those who launched with us are eligible for To Boldly Go!, an OOC badge - https://wiki.starbase118.net/wiki/index.php?title=Badges#Feats_of_strength)

Amari: It was only because of all of you that we were able to do what we did without even scratching the paint.

She smiled and felt the bit of humor move through the gathered officers before all quieted and awaited the next words to be said.

Oddas: If Doctor Indobri could join me? :: pause :: For the effort you put into saving one Mister Wyss, please accept the Silver Life Saving Ribbon.  Doing the work of a Starfleet Doctor is never easy, especially when the ship is undergoing power drains and other circumstances.  Thank you for keeping us safe.

Aria passed her the small wooden box with the ribbon contained inside.

Amari: ::smiling:: Congratulations, Doctor.

Indobri: Response

Oddas: Not so fast Doctor, Mister Wyss?  For your work under pressure, for performing exemplary in the course of your duties, I award you Captain's Commendations.

Wyss/Indobri: Response

Chandra shook hands with each of them and smiled.

Amari: You both have very much earned it. We are proud to have you here.

Oddas: Mister Wyss, :: she motioned for the engineer to stay:: your work on the Engine was a little unorthodox, but it did keep the ship safe and working, While I am not sure I would ask you to do it again, there is no doubting that it was innovative, so please, take the 'Innovation Ribbon' and keep the ideas coming.

Amari: Good work, Ensign.

Another smile. Chandra wondered if her mouth muscles would be sore when it was all said and done. Deciding it was a good problem to have, she just kept smiling.

[...]

Amari: Thank you.

Chandra offered her hand again, in genuine thanks. It was not easy for anyone to put themselves in harms way to potentially save others.

Oddas: Stick around Mister Levinson, come forward Mister Hontrú.  Based on the mission reports of the Away Team Leaders, the behavior you both showed on the Comet's surface was exemplary, I would say even 'Good'.  For that, I am very pleased to present to you both the Good Conduct Ribbon.

Amari: Congratulations both of you and good work!

Levinson/Hontru: Response

She allowed herself a small sip of her drink as the applause died down. There were only a few things left on the list.

Oddas: Finally, if I could have Ensign Levinson and Ensign Wyss join me.   :: pause :: Ensign Wyss, for your exemplary work, though you have been with us a short time, I am herby promoting you to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade, with all the rights and privileges hereto.

She took the small box containing a half pip and pinned it to the red-haired Engineer's uniform before shaking her hand.

Oddas: Congratulations.

Amari: Very much deserved. I know you will wear it well.

Chandra once again smiled. Officers were learning, growing, and that would make the ship the best in the fleet.

Wyss: Response

Oddas: Ensign Levinson, I am promoting you to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade - additionally, you are herby installed as Acting Chief of the Science division, with all the rights and privileges hereto. :: she smiled gently :: Good luck.

Aria knew what it was like to be a Chief, or XO for that matter, with more senior officers around, but it was going to be interesting to see if the young Vulcanoid would rise to the occasion.  She pinned the half-pip to the collar of the woman then squeezed her shoulder before moving off.

Levinson: Response

Amari: Congratulations, Lieutenant!

She looked out at the crowd one more time and smiled, it was a good crew, even if the maiden voyage had not exactly been picture perfect.  She turned her PADD over.

Oddas:  You have all done great work, excellent work, and I could not be more proud of you.  We saved an entire civilization and did so as if it was just another day - because that's what we do.  I could not ask for a better crew, and to think we are just getting started, I know we are going to great things.  Keep up the great work as continue to tell an amazing story, one that will be known in the annals of the Federations.  Today we have started telling that story, we started telling it when we left the Ring, we started it when we found the Arrow, and continue today as we say goodbye to Commander Amari who has been helping us run things.

As everything came to an end, Chandra knew this was coming. The orders had come in but an hour ago, and that was why she took in this ceremony and all that it was. That was why she smiled so hard. Her time had been short, but she had learned so much and would take all of that with her.

Amari: Thank you all for the opportunity. I know you will all do well, discover much, and blaze a trail across the stars like no other.

Chandra looked towards the other who would be stepping into shoes she had been so sure would be hers. Alas, the time wasn’t quite right for her. Perhaps in the near future it would be.

Amari: Take care of her, and the crew.

Orrey: Response?

TAG, TBC