JP Ens Trovek and LtJG Tito: A Good Death - Unexpected Support

Arys Trova

Nov 12, 2021, 8:46:56 PM11/12/21
to Juneau
The next few days passed in a bit of a blur, and looking back at the events that unfolded, Arys later struggled to determine what had happened when.

As soon as Arys had declared a time of death and logged it into the now merged file, Tuomas had rushed to the hospital only to find that his father had already been taken away to the morgue.
While Arys had not, or not yet, reported her father’s actions, she wasn’t surprised when the local authorities visited later that same day to question her. With her actions documented and Leevi Ihalainen’s last moments recorded, the matter was closed quickly and she was permitted to return home, where she began planning the funeral. If she would have liked her father’s presence during this time of grieving, she didn’t show it, and Tuomas himself didn’t involve himself in any way.

The funeral was wonderful - a process in which the body of the deceased was turned into soil, fully embracing it as organic matter. It hurt Arys that she and her father didn’t even look at eachother, and if it hadn’t been for Lukin, she would feel utterly alone in all of this.
It felt like their relationship had deepend in a way Arys hadn’t expected. The two didn't touch, nor did they exchange any other gesture of affection, but if she needed him, he was right by her side.

Tito watched from afar. He was trembling, even though he wore a warm coat and a hood over his head. He knew it wasn’t the cold that was making him shake. Nor was the lack of sleep or rest. Tito had crossed quadrants and went from Bajor to Risa and then to Earth, because the only two people in the Universe that mattered to him were in trouble. He wondered how he would manage to focus on the next mission, considering his shore leave was anything but restful.

One thing he noticed was that Arys was standing next to a Cardassian. Tito wondered if that was the friend she had mentioned. It looked like they had a connection. He made a mental note to ask her about him.

Tito kept shivering as the ceremony carried on. After seeing Vetras and Paris on the Juneau, the last thing he needed was to be in a cemetery, even if this one was particularly nice, and resembled an open field more than a place where death was the dominant presence.

After a short service and a long, drawn-out ‘meet and greet’ where people uttered their meaningless condolences, Arys excused herself and stepped outside. She needed some fresh air.  Slowly, Tito made his way towards her, as he was close enough he called her.

Tito: Arys.

Arys, still caught up in the role she had to play for the funeral - that of the grieving, but composed granddaughter - looked around to find out who had called her name. She noticed someone standing there in a thick jacket, and tilted her head.

Trovek: Yes?

Tito walked closer and pulled the hood down. His face showed the weariness that the travels caused him. And the almost sleepless nights. Also he needed a shave. Still, he offered her a sad smile.

Tito: I am sorry for your loss…

She had heard this phrase several times today, but rarely had it been conveyed with as much honesty as it was in this very moment. Arys sighed sadly, but managed a small smile.

Trovek: Thank you. You didn’t have to come… there isn’t anything you can do.

She regarded him, making a mental note to get him settled somewhere so he would get some rest.

Trovek: Things have been… complicated. Sometimes I wake up and for a moment I forget that he is dead.

Tito swallowed and nodded. A knot was on his throat ever since he made it to the grounds of the burial grounds. He nodded sadly. He knew all too well how the loss of a loved one affected someone.

Tito: I know. I have… I had the same feeling… But I needed to come. Even if I knew you weren’t alone.

Trovek: It’s nice of you to come, but I didn’t expect you to.

It was somewhat  confusing that he had come here. She liked Tito, and she liked the way he had started to treat her - like a sibling. It just wasn't something she was currently able to reciprocate. She had never experienced what having an older sibling was truly like. Aaron had always been difficult

Tito shrugged. If he dropped everything to go and meet Sil, considering what he did, he couldn’t just ignore what Arys was facing. So there he was.  He grinned and tried to apply a little of Arys therapy.

Tito: I'm just being selfish, I am here to make sure my Counselor is alright.

Trovek: ::smiling::  Thank you. It’s… been difficult. I almost lost my medical license and I am fairly sure I got disowned. Other than that it’s been… great?

She tried to make light of it, even if it didn’t quite work, sighed and leaned backwards against the wall. Despite everything that had been going on, she looked better than she had when she had left the Juneau. Like she was eating and sleeping like a normal person.

Trovek: How is Sil?

Tito rolled his eyes. His expression sombered as he recalled their meeting.

Tito: In trouble. He is facing an inquiry and I don’t really know what will happen. I slapped him and shook him to wake up. He should have known better.

He lowered his head and sadly looked at Arys. Perhaps he should have been with her, instead of rushing to Risa. He forced a smile and tilted his head.

Tito: So… the Cardssia. Is he your Ambassador friend? Is he behaving or do you need me to talk to him?

As if she needed someone to fix her problems. As if Lukin, of all people, was a problem she was currently facing.

Trovek: He is… uh.. Yes. Lukin. ::she blushed, looking away:: He helped a lot. I hope you don’t hate Cardassians because that would be awkward.

Tito wasn't too fond of them. He had a terrible time when Vetras was taken by a rogue Cardassian group, before rescuing her. But although he didn’t want to befriend a “Spoon Head”, he knew not all of them were bad. And a smile grew in his lips as Arys blushed.

Tito: I don’t particularly like them, but I don’t particularly like anyone right? ::Shrugging:: Well, present company excluded, of course. And I see you have a connection with him, so that is a plus point for Mister Lurkin.

Trovek: Lukin. And that is his first name.

He nodded and kept smiling. Keeping up with the joke. It was silly but honestly he didn’t really know how to make her feel better. Sil always used jokes, or word play. Not really wanting to follow his example he hoped that teasing Arys friend might brighten her mood.

Tito: That is what I said, Lurkin.

Trovek: :: rolling her eyes:: Luuuuuuuukin. Lukin. I believe in you, you can do it.

Tito narrowed his eyes and tried to look serious, but the smile was still on his lips.
He made a forced expression as he voiced slowly Lukin’s name

Tito: Luuuuurrrrkiiiin. ::He made a triumphant gesture with his hand:: Yes I got it.
Lurkin.

Arys laughed, for the first time in days.

Trovek: It's nice that you came. There is food inside, if you want. And maybe eventually I will be able to tell you everything that has been going on.

He nodded,  feeling more at ease. It was as if stealing a laugh from her lifted a weight from his back. But now that the weight was out he felt soar.

Tito: I am here for you. But truthfully what I really need is a bath and a few hours of sleep. Do you know any hotels around?

Trovek: ::nodding:: There are several around here, but to be honest you might just want to go to Helsinki. It's nicer. And I absolutely agree. You do need a shower.

She wrinkled her nose, but it was all in good fun.

He raised an eyebrow and tilted his head, giving her a fake indignant expression.

Tito: Yes I am sure you much prefer Cardassian scent now. Now without teasing, I don’t want to intrude. I will find a place there and try to get some rest.

Trovek: How about we meet for lunch tomorrow?

Tito nodded and pulled the hood back on. He was fairly resistant, and it wasn’t that much cold, but he was mostly used to the controlled environment of a starship.
And he was a Southerner. Portugal was considerably hotter than Finland, even in winter.

Tito: I would like that, I will send you my location once I am settled in.

He took a step close to her, raising his hand and giving her a gentle squeeze in her arm before letting it go.

Tito: Your Grumpy brother couldn't stay away. Now go on and let Lurkin comfort you. If he came with you it’s because he cares.

She nodded.

Trovek: I will talk to you tomorrow. See you then.

She said her goodbye and then returned to the house.

Tito nodded and watched as she left, standing there for a moment longer.
He looked back at the cemetery, letting his own emotions settle in. He voiced his thoughts in a whisper. Even now he couldn’t help but think back to his own family.

Tito: I love you both, but you're dead.

He turned, walking away.

END SCENE

Ensign Trovek Arys