[Backsim] Ensign Sival: Moderation

James Scott Schumann

Sep 23, 2021, 6:00:47 AM9/23/21
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Central Mall, Awards Ceremony, Lightside Station))

Sival was still chewing on his bite of fruit as the group of people he was standing with suddenly dispersed.

T’Lea:  Excuse me.  I need a fresh glass.  ::she held up her empty and glanced at Trovek::  I’ll have your quarters and security clearances issued shortly.  Welcome aboard, Ensign.  Ensign Sival, it is good to see you once again.  ::at Oddas:: I’ll be at the bar when you’re ready.

Trovek: Thank you. Truth be told I think my people-quota for today is maxed out as it is. I will however, of course, be close by.

It took a moment for Sival to swallow before he could speak, and by this time, the three were already walking away. He did manage to shout out a phrase in their general direction, but it was likely lost among the din of the crowd.

Sival: Be sure to try the moba fruit! It’s quite delicious!

And there he was, standing alone, eating his fruit.

Being somewhat oblivious to social dynamics by nature, he didn’t think anything of the situation. But he did find it unfortunate that he could not speak to Lt. Cmdr. T’Lea and and Ensign Arys longer. The one being half-Vulcan, and the other being a counsellor, they were two people that he had a lot in common with. He resolved that he would try to make their acquaintance again in the future.

As he took the last bite of the food on his plate, he realized that he was enjoying the moba fruit. Really enjoying it. To the point of indulgence. He instantly realized the seriousness of the situation. Usually, Sival suppressed or moderated his emotions. The only times they ‘ran away from him’ was when he was daydreaming or lost in thought about a project, and even during those times the emotion he felt was relatively mild and could be easily reined back in.

Never had he lost awareness of an emotional experience and let it control his behavior, until now.

oO This is what happens when I do not carefully regulate my emotions. Oo

Sival knew this was a problem, as not only would his emotions become very strong and difficult to control, but they could cause physical damage to his human-Vulcan neuro-biochemistry, a condition which only affected some hybrids, such as himself.

He immediately began a silent breathing exercise to separate himself from the emotion and compartalize it until he could fully process the experience in meditation later that night. He was successful, and by all outward appearances, Sival was just as a cool and centered Vulcan as any. Fortunately, he was becoming so on the inside as well.

But the experience was a reminder that he would have to keep a closer eye on his emotions, and if he couldn’t control them, then he would need to suppress them all together.

Sival looked at the empty plate he was holding in his hand and briefly pondered how something as innocent as a piece of fruit had thrown him off balance.

He returned the plate to the table, next to the same fruit he had selected from earlier. Only this time he did not recommend it to the people standing nearby.

Sival promptly made his way to his quarters on the Juneau and spent the rest of the evening in meditation.

END for Sival

---
Ensign Sival
Medical Officer