Ensign Trovek: A Good Death - Worries and Suspicions

Arys Trova

Nov 2, 2021, 5:14:22 AM11/2/21
to Juneau
((USS Starfarer, en-route to Earth))

The USS Starfarer had just about left Deep Space Nine, and Arys got settled in the quarters she would inhabit during the three-day journey. The room reminded her of student life - a sonic shower, a bed, a desk to work and make calls, and a replicator. That was it. Not like Arys needed more, and as she sat down on the bed, she was pleased to find it comfortable enough. Perhaps she would even get some sleep.

Just not right now. Instead, she decided to call her father.

Of course, as usual, she reached his secretary instead. Calliope Schuster had been her father’s secretary for what felt like centuries, and she knew both Arys, and Tuomas’ tendency to forget anything outside of work.

Secretary: Ihalainen Fertility Clinic, Tuomas Trovek’s office.

Arys: Hi Callie. Arys here. I would like to speak to my father. Is he there?

Schuster: Where else would he be?  :: checking:: And he’s not in a meeting. Please hold for a few moments, he will answer shortly.

Arys: Thank you.

Tuomas, enervated, was humming to himself as the call request came through. He inquired about the disturbance and frowned. Did he not tell her specifically to stall or redirect the person he currently wanted to speak to the very least of all? He sighed. When was the last time he actually took a shower? Not that it mattered to him, for he rarely had to see a patient to begin with.
The trenches under his eyes belied a long administrative shift that allowed no repose. Tuomas decided to take in a deep breath, one filled with the stench of expired coffee in an assortment of cups, comically placed upon one another, long overdue to be placed into the matter reclaimer or be taken away.
His humming slowly turned to groan, as the notification kept blaring to accept the transfer communication request. Before pressing the button, he muted his own person and hearkened to his younger self, bedside manner still fully mastered.

He answered his daughter in a spritely manner.

Tuomas: Ah, Arys! To what do I owe the pleasure?

Trovek: Hey. I hope it’s not too inconvenient. I know you are busy.

Arys smiled, but at the same time she narrowed her eyes to regard her father. He looked different. His hair wasn’t neatly trimmed like it usually was, and his shirt was stained with coffee. He looked older, more fragile, and definitely not healthy. Arys could hardly believe that it had been only a few months since she last saw him.

Tuomas had dreaded speaking to his daughter before the matter of her grandfather was sorted. Diplomatic as his own father was, he lacked this sensible tact, and employed the age-old parley trick of being a yes man.

Tuomas: Busy would be an understatement, but I should always have some time for one of my own. What's on your mind?

Trovek: I wanted to let you know that I am on my way to Earth. I’m on Shore Leave and decided to come and visit.

Arys smiled, but her father did not return the gesture. He stared at his daughter for a good few moments, his brows ever furrowing, and it appeared like he struggled to process the information.

Eventually he spoke merrily yet apologetically.

Tuomas: Why, Arys. That's great! I would love to have you over, but now would not be a good time, you know?

Trovek: ::perplexed:: Why?

Her father always made time for her, even if it was just a few moments.

Tuomas's eyes were scanning his desk for any physical excuse he could muster. His eyes revealed severe distress for mere seconds, but he continued to laugh it off, as if faced with work he simply did not want on his slate.

Tuomas: Uhm, haha. Even as we speak, the board of directors requests this very important document to be audited from my end. I really would not find the time to see you personally. This, in truth, is all I can really allot you at the moment.

Trovek: Well, that is fine. I will not be in the way, but I really need a break. It’s been an exhausting few weeks.

Part of her wanted to tell her father of what had happened, but realistically he wouldn’t be of much help. And he looked so old to begin with. Arys was worried that additional stress would send him into crisis mode.

Tuomas needed to a moment to regain some of his composure after his excuse was flung face front into his lap. He did however continue with great interest as soon as Arys mentioned needing a break.

Tuomas: And a break is something you definitely deserve! But isn't your leave meant for actual recharging? I guarantee you, you will find no such thing here. Have you maybe considered visiting Risa?

Arys: I… I suppose I have not. And I want to visit grandfather, in his last letters he sounded… off. ::she hesitated:: Are you disappointed that I got assigned to the Juneau? I tried to get something close to Earth but it wasn’t possible.

Was that it? Arys scarcely believed that a less-than-ideal posting could be the reason for the way her father behaved. Even if he was disappointed, he had never acted this way before. That was more Sileah’s kind of thing.

Tuomas: Eh.. No, yes. Of course, I would have loved for you to be as close as possible! But it is not that I would have all that much time to see you anyway. Plus, it is a great opportunity for you. And well - ah. About dad.

Tuomas wasn't sure how to go about this one. He practiced daily for this, but still had severe issues with his subterfuge. He was already this far in, and at this stage, it no longer would be a salvageable endeavor from his end. He had to see this through.

Tuomas: You see, well, Dad.. Well, he. He hasn't been doing so well lately. He has been.. admitted to a specific ward. I know you mean well. Last time he could barely recognize me. He thought I was HIS dad. I guess we do look alike. I remember showing you so many photos, and you always thought it was me. Uhm. In other words, it isn't a good time, Arys.

Tuomas did not have to feign his distress much in this case. He did indeed worry every waking moment about the state of his father, even for entirely different reasons.
His eyes drooped as he looked pleadingly at Arys, while trying his best impersonation of a puppy dog, starved for attention.

Arys: A-... I didn’t know his condition changed… is it under control? I see… I… guess I will have to think about it. But I am on my way to Earth - I am bringing a friend if he decides to join me.

Tuomas:  Well, if you are indeed traveling with company, why not spend the time together? Coming over here will just get matters very messy. And trust me, I really wouldn't be able to currently get away from work.

Arys nodded. She didn’t agree, and it was her home, but she recognized that arguing right now wouldn’t solve anything.

Arys: Yes. I will discuss it with him. I am sure we will find something to do. Let’s… talk another time. I can see that you are busy.

Tuomas's relaxed visibly. He straightened his posture on his seat and clasped his hands together.

Tuomas: I am really sorry Arys. I hope you understand. I want you to have the best time off, but I just cannot be part of it at the moment. I hope you keep writing to Dad. It really means a lot to him, I’m sure. I'll let you get back to your things for now. It was nice hearing from you. Keep up the good work, alright?

Arys nodded disheartenedly and ended the call. Now, this had been beyond odd, and she was worried for her father more than for her grandfather. She looked out of the window and once more hoped Lukin would join her. Even if only so she didn’t want to be on her own.

END SCENE

Ensign Trovek Arys
Counselor
USS Juneau