Ensign Sival: [Ocean] What have I gotten myself into?

Sival .

Dec 3, 2021, 6:57:17 AM12/3/21
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Shuttlebay 1, Deck 7, USS Juneau))

Sival arrived at the shuttle bay with provisions in hand. He had his medkit, of course, but inside along with all of the standard supplies were medicine to combat the effects of decompression sickness and a solution that was thought to neutralize Borg nanoprobes. The solution was effective several years ago most of the time against nanoprobes obtained by the Federation, but there was no way of knowing if the Borg had adapted their technology since then.

As he approached the shuttle, he noticed that Lt. Cmdr. Qinn and another officer, who Sival had not met, had already arrived. The doctor found it appropriate to introduce himself.

Sival: Hello. I am Doctor Sival. Under different circumstances it would be a pleasure to meet you.

Qinn: Welcome, Doctor.

Hesan: Gunnery Sergeant Hesan. Marine Recon.

Sival noted the marine’s height, being taller than him. It also seemed to him like she carried herself with confidence and seemed to have a bold, practical manner.

Hesan: Now that we’re all here, would you like me to take you both through the tactical equipment, sir?

Qinn: Please, Sergeant Hesan

Sival was not at all interested in going through tactical equipment, but it was an unfortunate necessity. He disliked guns, but he also disliked Borg assimilation.

Hesan: Small Arms. ::taking out a rifle:: Type-3 compression phaser rifles, one each. I assume you’re both familiar with these.

Qinn: I am, yes.

Sival took one of the rifles and slung its strap over his head and around his shoulder. As he handled the rifle, his stoic face belied a feeling of unease and even disgust. Yes, this was a reaction to the weapon, but the feelings may have been influenced by the overall situation as well. It was seeming more and more likely to him that he would inevitably end up in a battle during this mission. This troubled him. He wanted to heal, not to fight.

He returned the rifle to the crate.

Sival: I am, although I hope not to use this weapon. I’m a doctor, not a soldier.

Hesan: I appreciate that, but we have no idea what we’ll find down there. ::taking out a phaser:: Type-2 phasers, again one each. Both these and the rifles have been fitted with frequency rotation modules. They work automatically and should give us a few more shots each before the Borg can adapt.

Type-2 phasers. Type-3 phasers. What does it matter? Their purpose was the same. Sival could not care less about the distinctions between the two.

The marine went to another crate and took out what appeared to be a kind of environmental suit, only it was not a kind that Sival had seen before.

Hesan: Have either of you used one of these before?

Sival: No.

Sival did not have a longer reply. With each crate the marine opened, he became less and less interested in this mission. “No” sufficiently encapsulated his feelings.

Qinn: I have not.  I can swim, but I’ve never needed to go diving for Starfleet.

Hesan: They’re Underwater Environmental Suits, we call them UEV’s. They operate just like a normal EV suit, and the interface is exactly the same as well. Comms are the same as EV suits too, so we’ll be able to talk to each other, and the ship.

Swimming and diving Sival could do. He did admit to himself that it would be somewhat exciting to be free under the ocean’s waters. Come face to face with a marine animal perhaps. Oh, his son would relish the opportunity! At the same time, were it to happen, it probably wouldn’t be an ordinary swim, and he likely wouldn’t be enjoying the view.

Qinn: That’s good.  I’m hoping there is enough of the sphere intact to at least provide some dry areas, but if it’s been down there for long enough that’s doubtful.

Sival: I assume the suits have the standard personal safety equipment that EV suits have?

Hesan: ::to Sival:: each UEV has a personal med-kit attached, but I assume you have brought any additional supplies you feel necessary?

Sival: Yes.

Sival reached into his medkit and pulled out a handful of hyposprays.

Sival: I have prepared two hyposprays for each of us should something unfortunate befall us. The blue one is believed to reverse the effects of assimilation. Administer it immediately if you are injected with nanoprobes. The green one will help alleviate the symptoms of rapid decompression sickness should your EV suit become compromised underwater. :: Sival paused and looked both in the eyes. :: Do not get the two confused.

Hesan: I’ll get the small arms on board the shuttle, sir. Are there any final preparations you need to complete?

Qinn: I just need to finalize the flight plan and ensure we’re entering the water clear of the shipping lanes.  If we come in from further out in the ocean then skim the surface.

Hesan: As soon as you are ready l can help you both suit up, before we board the shuttle. Best do it now than when we’re on route. We don’t want the shuttle on the surface for any longer than necessary, otherwise passing ships will see it.

Qinn: Between sensors and this being a night op, we should be able to avoid any obvious shipping lanes.  However I agree, the faster we can get below the surface the better.

Sival resigned himself to the situation. He sighed.

Sival: I am ready to suit up now, sergeant.

Qinn: Gunny, I just want to make sure you’re aware that I am fully blind.  I have other means of navigating, both technological and with my telepathy, but I’ll need you to take the helm of the shuttle.

Hesan: Response

Qinn:  Thank you, Sergeant.  I’ll let you get everything settled.

Hesan: Response(?)

(Small Time Jump)

The three were seated in the shuttle, with Qinn at the helm.

Qinn: Doctor, Sergeant, are you both prepared for take off?

Sival: Yes, commander.

Hesan: Response

Qinn: Very Well, Sergeant, we have clearance to depart.  In Good Faith, Sergeant.

Hesan: Response

As the shuttle approached the planet, it began to dive with incredible speed. Sival saw his view of the stars dissolve into a burning orange glow as the shuttle entered the atmosphere. It was then the night sky. Sival thought he spotted a mountain range just shy of the horizon. In the opposite direction, light from the planet’s two moons shone through the shuttle’s windows. After a moment the shuttle’s interior was illuminated with dim light, as if it were twilight, as the shuttle passed through a layer of clouds. It was barely out of the clouds when it splashed into the ocean.

TAG / TBC

---
Ensign Sival
Medical Officer