[JP] Ens. Trovek and Amb. Zorkal: A Good Death - Communication Skills

Arys Trova

Oct 31, 2021, 6:02:06 AM10/31/21
to Juneau
((Starbase 118 Ops - Lukin’s Quarters))

The day was, like all days at Ops, busy.  Lukin never lacked for something to do, though some days felt more hectic than others.  Trade agreements, plans, meetings, ensuring that Cardassia’s interests were met, and balancing that with a variety of different outlooks upon his people certainly kept him occupied.  He did, however, make time for pleasant things.

One of those was keeping track of a certain pet project.  Trovek Arys, a woman he had met only a few days before her posting upon the USS Juneau had intrigued him from the beginning, and despite a brief couple of days where they had managed to converse, with a bit of quarreling here and there, he couldn’t help but admit to himself that he liked her.

Only to himself, however.  Rare was that someone to ingratiate him or herself so quickly, and thus far Ops had provided two such people - Talas Beck, and now Arys.  Idly, he also couldn’t help but remember Lidia.  He would look her up again as well.

For now, however, he had taken a break in the busyness of the day because something had distracted him - a letter. A letter from a certain someone that had so recently managed to insert herself into his purview.

Lukin,
How has your week been treating you? I know I have delayed my response, for which I apologize. You know how stressful the life of a Counselor can be - someone is always traumatized.
Nothing much has happened here, but I understand now why Cardassia had no interest in this area. After all, where is the satisfaction in occupying a nebula? And would it even be an occupation if you can’t enslave anyone? Cardassian philosophy is so very interesting.
Arys

Although he was pleased with receiving the message, Lukin did not allow that pleasure to manifest itself in any sort of tangible way, of course.

Arys,
I am well, thank you.  The duties of an Ambassador are similar in that there is always something that needs attention.
Indeed, a standard Nebula offers little of value to us and unless there is some scientific peculiarity to pursue, it is doubtful it would garner any consideration.  Occupation does not require the enslavement of people.  Do write again.
Lukin

Another message came through fairly quickly.  The same day, in fact.  That was surprising.  Even more surprising was that it was a video message rather than a written one.  Those were what he normally received, the cool, Vulcan-like speech typical of Arys.  The video?  It was a far cry from such succinct and dispassionate responses.  The fact that it had never been meant for him only amused Lukin. He opened it and began listening to Arys telling Ohara - who seemed to be her friend - about how the last weeks really had been.

Well now.  That was something.  Lukin leaned back in his chair and stared at the screen, formerly occupied by Arys and now completely black.  He paused, fingers tapping against his desk, then ordered the computer to begin a video recording.

Leaning forward, Lukin laced his fingers together and focused his gaze intently directly ahead of him- when she received it, it would seem he was staring directly at her, which was the exact effect he wished.

Zorkal: Arys, while I appreciate your continued correspondence, perhaps it would be best if you send the messages to the persons they were intended for.  Next time, I expect one directly to me.  Keep the pajamas.

With that, Lukin cut off the message, smirked to himself, then sent it along with an attachment of the original, waylaid greeting to Ohara - a name he would be sure to research.

((Deck 6, Arys’ and Tito’s Quarters))

When Arys got up the next morning - she hadn’t slept, but she had stared at the ceiling for a few hours - she found Lukin’s message waiting for her. Usually her heart skipped a beat whenever she received his letters, but right now… okay, fine, nothing had really changed.

She smirked as she read his reply, and then she opened the recording. Her eyes widened as she realized her mistake, and she glanced at Tito, who so very clearly was to blame for it.

Knowing that the day would be a busy one, and since she had already made plans to leave the Juneau, she replied with an attachment detailing the transport she would be taking, and one sentence.

Come to Earth with me?

((Starbase 118 Ops - Lukin’s Quarters))

Lukin read that one line and snorted.  Come to Earth with her?  Why in the world would he want to do a thing like that?  Except that she had asked.  And he liked her.  And he also realized she wouldn’t have asked him if it didn't mean something to her.

Dammit.

Frowning, he tapped his fingers against the top of his desk.  Come to Earth with her.  There was, of course, the matter of when, but Lukin also would need to justify it.  Yes, technically he might be allowed some leave, but it would have to be approved, and there was no guarantee it would be approved.

However, there could be strategic reasons for going to Earth.  As the main base of Starfleet operations, he could certainly find something worthwhile to go beyond visiting with a friend.

Yes, there was that word.  Friend.  He’d finally admitted it, and that made him frown even more.  Friends could be dangerous.  He would have to tread carefully.  Yet he couldn’t dismiss that request, even if he wanted to.

So. He was going to find a way to make it work.

Arys,
I suppose I can fit that into my schedule.  When do you plan to go?
Lukin

Lukin sat on that for a while, mulling over the short message, then sent it before turning back to his duties.

((QongDaq, Promenade, DS9))

It had been almost a week since she had received his message, and Arys still had to answer. She missed Lukins company, and she hated that she missed it. Perhaps she also regretted having invited him to Earth - not because she didn’t want him there, but because he would ask about the things he had learned about her past weeks on the Juneau, and Arys really did not want to think about that or discuss it. He wouldn’t possibly understand how she felt. She had a too Cardassian view on things.

She reached for her PADD, deciding to at least have the courtesy to answer.

She was close to adding that she, since he was busy, did not expect him to make the time, but she couldn’t bring herself to do that. And so, she decided to sign with her name instead.

Lukin,
I am at Deep Space Nine at the moment, and the Starfarer will leave in a few hours. I will arrive in four days. I understand that you are busy.
Arys

((Starbase 118 Ops - Lukin’s Quarters))

After not hearing from Arys for a week, the message was received with some annoyance.  At first, he pondered whether or not to even bother working his schedule out.  Eventually, however, he decided he might as well.  A visit to Earth would be beneficial for more than one reason, and he could certainly find ways to make it advantageous.  He didn’t tell that to her, though.  No, Lukin never sent a reply.  Rather, he immediately set about working out plans.

******

Ensign Trovek Arys
Counselor
USS Juneau
J239809TA4

&

Dalin Lukin Zorkal
Cardassian Visitor
Starbase 118 Ops
M239008AD0

Arys Trova

Oct 31, 2021, 6:09:05 AM10/31/21
to Juneau
((OOC: This time with formatting that doesn’t make you cry.))