JP Ensign Trovek and PNPC Trovek Aaron - A Good Death - The Bracelet

Arys Trova

Nov 1, 2021, 8:07:53 AM11/1/21
to Juneau
((QongDaq, Promenade, DS9))

Bajor was beautiful at this time of the year.

Apparently.

Arys wouldn’t know, nor would she appreciate it. Instead, she found herself sitting in a Klingon restaurant at Deep Space Nine, indulging in a glass of Raktajino, extra strong, while waiting for the USS Starfarer to arrive.

The heavy aroma of the Klingon coffee made Arys miss Ohara even more than she already did, and she decided to try to commit to more regular contact with the Klingon who was essentially her best friend. It was busy today, the automated doors were opening and closing frequently, and the steady stream of people who seemed to leave or enter seemed endless.

Arys grimaced as two young children chased each other around the table - a game that ended in the younger one falling, and beginning to cry. It reminded Arys of her experience with T’Lea and the woman’s younger self. She hated to admit it, but T’Lea was someone she would miss. Their experience had certainly allowed them to bond.

The Counselor rolled her neck and shoulders to ward off stiffness, and stifled a yawn. Thinking back to the conversation with the Doctor she had not too long ago, Arys considered to order something that wasn’t a caffeinated liquid. Just that she really wasn’t hungry. She attributed that to the knot in her stomach which she felt every time she remembered she would eventually have to make a decision.

Would she stay on the Juneau? Would she return home and tell her friends and colleagues that she had just wasted five years of her life?

The people around her had loud and lively conversations, and Arys did her best to ignore them. In fact, she was so focused on her drink that she did not notice someone sitting down opposite of her.

Aaron noticed his little sister sitting alone in the cafe and made his way to her. He carried himself with grace, and as always he moved as if he was floating. People noticed him, and Aaron was well aware of that.  He sat down in front of Arys and spoke, in his moderate tone.

Aaron: Hello Little Sister.

Arys’ eyes widened as she regarded her older brother. Aaron was a handsome young man. He had a lean build and was a good bit taller than Arys was, but still seemed unable to grow a beard. Not that this changed anything - with his wavy dark-blonde hair, slate-blue eyes, and distinguished clothing, he looked like a young god. It wasn’t a surprise he had amassed so many followers.

Trovek: Aaron… I didn’t expect to see you here at all. What brings you to Deep Space Nine?

While she had been fairly relaxed before, now she had her guard up. Before Aaron could answer, she continued asking.

Trovek: Is mother here with you?

Silently he shook his head. He knew Arys' relationship with Mother was difficult, to say the least. He was sorry for that. He loved his little sister and seeing them apart like that was making him sad. It was a strange path the Prophets chose for those two.

Aaron: No, I come alone. I wished to see you.

Trovek: I… see. ::hesitating:: No, actually I don’t. How do you even know that I am here?

He smiled. A soft smile of those wiser than the commoners. Although he knew his younger sister was not a commoner. He was proud of her achievements, and although he didn’t say it in front of Mother, he was proud she joined Starfleet.

Aaron: I have many friends, who know many things.

Arys sighed. Her brother’s ability to dodge questions reminded her of a certain Cardassian.

Trovek: Right…::shrugging:: So what do you want? Because you do want something, right?

He rested his arms on the table, looking around at the crowd. He tilted his head and turned back to her.

Aaron: I missed you Little Sister, we hardly see each other.

There was another reason, but as with all holy men, Aaron was a fervent believer in letting revelations flow slowly.

Arys closed her eyes for a moment. She was still so tired and so exhausted, the checkup with Doctor Indobri had helped, but not solved her problem. The Counselor could only hope that her trip to Earth would be of more help.

Trovek: I… I missed you too, Aaron. I considered visiting Bajor, but… you know why I can’t. The past weeks were beyond exhausting and I just hope to get some rest.

His divine smile was replaced by a surprised expression.

Aaron:  What happened? Are you alright?

Trovek: ::taking a deep breath:: I failed. On ::short, mirthless laugh:: so many levels. A few weeks ago it all seemed so very clear, like a perfectly set up plan. Then the ship of my choice no longer wanted me, a former patient died… I tried to hand in my resignation.

Aaron: But you wanted to join. I was proud of you. The Prophets had shown you the path to follow. You didn't resign?

Trovek: T’Lea… the Commander, she didn’t accept it. She sent me on shore leave instead, so that’s what I am doing. But really I… just want to sleep. I’m tired of being a disappointment.

He opened his arms. He knew Arys was not fond of close contact, so he rested his hands near hers. Mentally he prayed to the Prophetes to help his sister.

Aaron: You are not a disappointment.

Trovek: It does feel like it.

She sighed and opened her eyes again, placing her hands on his. She loved Aaron, even if she thought he was a weirdo with too many wives.

Aaron: Because of how you and Mother don’t get along, I never said it, but I am proud of you to join Starfleet. And I am sure your job there is very important. Do not underestimate yourself.

Trovek: I… thank you. It means a lot. I just… I imagined it differently, that’s all. I suppose I was so set on remaining close to Earth that I didn’t have an open mind when I received my assignment. Lukin was right. Ugh.

Aaron: Lukin? A fellow officer?

Arys hesitated. She could simply nod, but really, what value did a conversation with her brother have if she couldn’t even tell him who her friends were.

Trovek: He is someone I met a few weeks ago. A Cardassian Ambassador.

Aaron’s smile vanished. His eyes narrowed and turned colder. No matter how much he loved his sister he could never come to terms with the way she disrespected Bajoran legacy. At this, he was with Mother all the way.

Aaron: You befriended a Cardassian?

The question was almost spit out.

Arys sighed and looked at him, giving him a sad smile.

Trovek: Aaron I respect the way you think about Cardassians, but I don’t think it’s right. I think mother poisoned your mind against them and… they’ve paid, Aaron. You know that. I am not expecting you to forgive them, but if you can love the worst Bajorans so unconditionally, perhaps you can try to at least give the best Cardassians a chance. Please.

He prayed again, but this time for the Prophets to give his sister enlightenment. Cardassians deserved no chance. Unless the chance to pay even more. If it was up to him Cardassia would have been occupied.

By Bajorans.

With the certainty only someone faithful of the Prophets could have, he replied to her.

Aaron: Don’t ask that of me, Arys.

Arys sighed. He would never understand, and it was why she had mentioned Lukin in the first place. Speaking to Aaron was like stepping outside into the sun’s warm embrace. He said nice things and she got all warm and fuzzy inside, but if he had to decide between his beliefs and his sister, he would always choose the former.

Trovek: Then… please, at least don’t ask me to share that hatred. I am not good at hating people. I’ve only ever wanted to be good.

And that was the truth. She knew she could be destructive and hateful like her mother chose to be, but she much rather wanted to be soft and kind.

At that, Aaron nodded. He knew of her true caring nature. It was another thing he loved her for.

Aaron: Then let us not speak of the subject. Have you made any other friends?

Trovek: ::nodding:: I have. I have a roommate called Tito, he’s… sad, sometimes. And bitter. But deep down he’s quite caring and I like having him around. And then there is T’Lea, I… really like her too. Even if she’s a little weird.

Not even his calm and contemplative nature resisted the surprise of Arys’ mention of her male roommate. But he quickly returned to his posture and asked her about the latter.

Aaron: T’Lea? You mentioned her, is she your commanding officer? Tell me about her.

Trovek: ::nodding:: She is half Romulan half Vulcan. She’s smart and… well, I wouldn’t say nice, but basically that. Nice. In her own way.

Aaron nodded and smiled. After her reply, he returned to the matter that triggered his curiosity.

Aaron: And that roommate of yours? Tito, you said? Do you still find him interesting or are you already bored with him?

His question had a double meaning. He knew how Arys was regarding friends and potential lovers. And the Prophets forbid she fell for that damned Cardassian she met.
Although Aaron wouldn't be surprised that happened. He hoped she might find this Tito… Interesting enough.

Trovek: Oh, he isn’t interesting in regards to a potential relationship. He’s a friend and a patient. His family passed away and I think he sometimes needs someone to talk him through the… less happy episodes.

She smiled. She did like Tito, even if he was grumpy. She hoped his visit to Sil was going well.

Aaron felt a bit disappointed with that. He controlled himself not to shrug.

Aaron: I see, but I am sure you might find someone that could be more than a friend.

Trovek: I am far too busy for relationships, Aaron. And while the ship has around seven hundred people on board, but starting something with one of them seems like a bad idea.

He tilted his head and offered a smile. The Prophets would certainly guide her on this as well.

Aaron: If you believe so. But I think you should find someone who you would care for you. oO And not Cardassian. Oo And allow that to happen.

He then put a hand through the pocket of his robe. It was time to reveal his other reason for his visit. He pulled a small wrapping as he spoke.

Aaron: I have another reason to visit. I have something for you.

Trovek: You are proposing? Don’t you already have several wives? :: she smirked:: Sorry, I keep being mean. I don’t mean to. I haven’t slept much.

For a split second her comment disturbed Aaron. But he kept smiling hoping he managed some composure. Changing the topic quickly, he put the small wrapping in front of her.

Aaron: Here, I had a dream, sent certainly by the Prophets, that I should give you this.

Trovek: What is it?

Arys tilted her head and unwrapped the gift, revealing a bracelet. It was made from some kind of golden metal and looked like someone had put a lot of time into crafting it. It reminded her of a Bajoran Promise Bracelet, but it wasn’t quite that. It was a lot smaller, for one, fit for a child’s wrist.

Trovek: That’s… weird. Aaron, I am not pregnant. This is for children.

Again he shrugged. He had not received any guidance regarding that.

Aaron: I do not know. I think the answers are for you to find. I had it made the way I saw it.

Trovek: See it? Like… in your dreams? ::she made a face:: I guess I dreamed a guy jumping into the warp core, so I don’t get to judge.

He shook his head. The only flaw Arys had was that narrowness about faith.
She was a scientist, she didn’t allow any room for faith or the Prophets. Everything had to have an explanation.

To him, it didn’t.

Aaron: I believe in the vision from the Prophets. I had it made exactly how they showed me. I believe that is a path that you must follow, but with more faith and less reasoning.

Arys sighed and placed the bracelet back into its box before pocketing it. She still wasn’t sure what to think about any of this, but even if SHE didn’t believe in the prophets, she could try to respect that Aaron did.

Trovek: I will try. Thank you, Aaron. Whatever this is for…

Aaron: Perhaps a sign you should have Faith. ::he raised his hand.:: Not like Mother wants it to, but how it truly is.

And in that Aaron had the knowledge. He was sent by the Prophets, he endured his sickness through his faith in them.

Arys smiled and nodded at him, then she got up. The Starfarer was due to leave soon, and she didn’t want to miss it.

Trovek: I will visit father and grandfather. I will let them know you are thinking about them.

Father. Now that was a reflection on their part. As Arys clashed with Mother Aaron clashed with Father. His scientific views of the Universe had no room for faith. Over the years that forced them apart. And, as a consequence, from his grandfather too.

Aaron: And I appreciate you for that.

He remained seated as he watched her go. Admittedly he learned to follow the Prophets’ visions without hesitation, but even he would have liked to know what the bracelet was for.

Arys glanced at one of the large monitors that displayed the departure time of the USS Starfarer and made her way to lower pylon three. She passed security personnel speaking to an upset-looking man who was just shy of shoving a PADD into their faces. Other than that, it was growing quieter the further she moved away from the promenade. And even if she didn’t want to admit it, it had been good to see Aaron again.

END SCENE

************************

Ensign Trovek Arys
Counselor