Ensign John Kendrick - Cold Peppermint Tea

Jon Van Pelt

May 29, 2021, 6:59:34 AM5/29/21
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

(OOC: Will be writing a SIM about the training on the Phaser Range tomorrow. My apologies for the delay.)

((Counseling Suite, Deck 7, USS Juneau))

As John looked around the Suite, it looked like the room had been decorated to make the crew feel comfortable and at home.

Kendrick: Good evening Counsellor. Thanks for taking the time to see me.

This was going to be his first counselling session ever. And having a counsellor with telepathic abilities, it would probably be very hard for him to hide his true feelings.

Tierney: Hello, Ensign. Please come in.

The Counsellor motioned to a couple of empty chairs which, John noticed, were all unique in design. He wondered why the Counsellor kept so many different chairs in his Suite. Perhaps it was a reflection of an eclectic spirit.

He smiled inwardly. Here he was, the patient, analyzing the doctor. He decided to go for the chair in standard Starfleet design. It was familiar and somehow made him feel more secure.

Tierney: Can I get you anything to drink?

It was only now that he realized his mouth did feel a bit dry. For a brief second he wondered if the Counsellor had sensed he was thirsty. He knew it was against the rules for telepaths to probe people’s minds without their consent, but for telepaths like Tierney - who was Ulian - blocking off their telepathic senses would be like Humans trying to close their ears: you’d never be able to filter out all the noise around you.

He looked up at the Counselor. With his white hair and icy blue eyes there was something about him that he could only describe as magical.

Kendrick: Yes. Actually I do. A cold peppermint tea would be nice, thank you.

The tea wouldn’t only quench his thirst, it would also help calm his nerves.

Tierney: ::nodding:: I believe this is the first time we’ve had a chat.

The Counselor was right. They’d worked together before. Just this afternoon they’d trained together on the Phaser Range. But this was the first time they were together in one room without anyone else present.

Kendrick: Yes. ::a chuckle:: To be honest, it still feels a bit strange, me sitting here with you.

Tierney: I see. I should mention that anything we talk about will be held with the strictest of confidence. Unless you intend to hurt yourself or others, what you say stays here.

John nodded as the Counsellor handed him a glass of peppermint tea.

Kendrick: Thank you.

He took a sip of tea and smiled.

Kendrick: Well, if it eases your mind, I’m not planning on hurting myself, or anyone else for that matter.

As he took another sip of his tea, his mood darkened.

Kendrick: I’m just suffering from these terrible nightmares, you see.

Tierney: response

He placed his glass of tea on the small table next to him and leaned forward, as if he was talking to the carpet on the floor instead of the Counselor.

Kendrick: It all started down Aturn VII. Commander T’Lea, doctor Rel and I entered an abandoned mining tunnel. I had the misfortune to be bitten by some sort of tick. Its poison made me sick and I fell unconscious for a while.

He looked back up at the Counselor.

Kendrick: And that’s when I had this, well, vision if you can call it that.

Tierney: response

Kendrick: There was this darkness at first. And then this spark of light followed by these warped voices. I didn’t understand what they were saying. But then I heard my father’s voice and I suddenly found myself back home.

Tierney: response

He looked back down at the carpet.

Kendrick: He told me I shouldn’t have left home. I shouldn’t have left my family behind. And then I saw her.

He buried his face in his hands, as if he was ashamed to be sharing his nightmare with the Counselor.

Tierney: response

He looked back up at Tierney, teary-eyed.

Kendrick: The Captain. Telling me I don't belong in Starfleet.

Tierney: response

TAG/TBC

===
Ensign John Kendrick