Ensign Sival - On the Job Training

James Scott Schumann

Aug 30, 2021, 9:30:15 PM8/30/21
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
((OOC: So sorry for the delay with this post. I’ve mostly just answered tags so I could get this out. Sorry for not moving the scene forward too much. Thanks all. Namaste.))

(( Main Medical, Deck 7, USS Juneau ))

Indobri: Ah, Doctor Sival. How did you like your little tour? Was it all to
your expectations?

Sival: Exceeded expectations, Doctor. I took the initiative to examine both Primary and Secondary Sickbay. I noted that Secondary Sickbay was not staffed by a doctor, which is not recommended by Starfleet regulations, but, overall, I find the facilities to be most satisfactory.

‘Most Satisfactory’. Sival attempted to conceal what was nothing short of exhilaration with a cool, Vulcan report. However, something from the Human intuition part of him told him that the Doctor wasn’t buying it.

Indobri: Yes, as I said earlier, I really love all the resources we have
here. Now, as for the Secondary Sickbay down on Deck 20. When I first arrived, I was sharing time with another doctor, and so I spent quite a bit of time down there. But in truth, I have found little need to keep a doctor staffed down there at all times. I keep a duty nurse down there, and if need arises, there is always the EMH until one of us can get there.

Sival: A logical arrangement. However, it may be prudent and even more efficient to have a doctor assigned again there, especially in case of an emergency. I would volunteer for such a posting, Doctor.

Indobri: I don’t expect that to be necessary. Though, if you prefer it, I
would have no objections. We do have another doctor on staff, Doctor Rel, but she is currently off ship taking care of some other matters.

Sival: Then I would propose I staff Secondary Sickbay until Doctor Rel returns and the situation can be re-examined at that time.

Indobri: Very good, then. Now, shall we get the exam done so I can clear you for duty?

Sival: Very well, Doctor.

The two doctors made their way to one of the biobeds.

Indobri: I am not seeing anything of concern. What about you?

Sival: I strive to keep myself in peak physical condition, Doctor. I am not aware of any conditions that require attention at this time.

Indobri: Very good. Everything looks good here. So, I have one last thing. I am curious about your degrees. When I read your service record, I saw that you hold Ph.D.s in Psychology and Psychiatry. Trained as a physician as well. Also, your medical specialty is in Comparative Physiology. So, how do you feel about being assigned as a doctor and not a counselor?

Sival: I feel nothing about it, Doctor. Starfleet assigned me to this posting, thus I have complied.

Indobri: Come, doctor. I don’t believe for one moment that Vulcans have no
emotions whatsoever. And you’re not entirely Vulcan, though I won’t go
spreading that around the ship. So, how do you feel about it?

The Doctor seemed to be onto the fact that Sival used his Vulcan mannerisms to an advantage, or, at least as a way to feel safe in social situations. He appreciated that she would not disturb that specific coping skill.

Sival: You are correct, Doctor. I do feel a complete range of Human emotions, but, as you are aware, I project myself as Vulcan, and, Vulcans consider displays of emotion to be unprofessional. But, to answer your question - asserting doctor-patient confidentiality of course - I would enjoy working as a counsellor, or at least a psychiatrist. In my previous employment, I worked as a psychiatrist alongside a counsellor to treat veterans suffering from PTSD. I would be amenable to such an arrangement if it were available on Juneau. However, my life-long dream has been to be a doctor, so I am very happy with the posting I have.

At that moment, Sival became aware of a Lieutenant approaching. He hoped that he did not overhear him confessing his emotions.

Tito: Commander Indobri. Vitor Tito, Juneau’s new Tactical officer,
reporting for physical examination. :: He turned to Sival :: Ensign

Indobri: I see, Lieutenant. Well, welcome aboard.

Sival: A pleasure to meet you, Lieutenant.

Tito: I thank you for the welcoming, but if you both don’t mind, I think it
is better to start.

Indobri: :: drily :: I see, Lieutenant. Well, have a seat over on biobed
number six and I will be with you momentarily. I am just finishing up with
Doctor Sival here.

Sival: I believe our examination is complete, Doctor. I have no more information to offer.

oO Thankfully. Oo

Indobri: Well, you are cleared for duty. Now, let’s go over and do this
exam together. I’d like to see how you work.

Sival: Of course, Doctor. It would be an honor.

Indobri: Alright, Lieutenant. Doctor Sival is going to conduct your exam.
Is there anything we need to be aware of before we begin?

Tito: My record is detailed and there haven't been any changes since my
last posting. :: he narrowed his eyes :: My addictions are under control,
as you might confirm I have been clean for some years now.

Indobri: I see.

Indobri: Doctor Sival, if you please?

Sival grabbed one of the tricorders from the table adjoining the biobed, and he began scanning.

Sival: Overall, you appear to be in very good physical condition, Lieutenant. However, I am noticing a slight imbalance of neurotransmitters, dopamine and serotonin in particular. Have you noticed any symptoms, Sir? And have you undergone any major life changes or experienced any traumatic events which may account for your body’s biochemical response?

Tito: I believe that is something to be solved with the Counselor, so I see
no need to detail it. It is all in the reports, if you bother to read them.
However I am a tactical officer, so if you really need to know more I will
allow your questions.

Sival found the remark to be confusing. He would not bother to ask a question if he could obtain the information only from reading a report. He was also curious why he needed to assert that he was a tactical officer. Several red flags were popping up.

Sival: Thank you, Sir. I will certainly read them. However, I must ask you some more questions in order to ascertain a better understanding of your current condition.

Tito: I supposed Medical training included bedside manners and dealing with
difficult patients. Was I mistaken? Or is that just a trait of the Juneau?

Indobri: Bedside manners is one thing, Lieutenant. But being a verbal
punching bag is another. If you have a poor attitude, don’t expect anything
different in return. If you would like a professional attitude, perhaps try
displaying one yourself.

Sival: An agreeable attitude is the most logical choice in order to ensure an efficient and accurate exchange of information, Sir. May we proceed, Sir?

Tito: Response

Indobri: Response

TBC / TAG

---