Ensign Trovek - A Good Death - Epilogue

Arys Trova

Nov 14, 2021, 7:55:23 PM11/14/21
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Cardassia Prime, late 2375))

When Aski Zantett returned to Cardassia Prime, in her arms the child that reminded her so much of her beloved Ceron, she knew that the path she had chosen was a difficult one. The family unit on Cardassia was strictly defined, and any deviation was seen as a danger to the State itself. She knew that she would be shamed and that Taril represented the truths that the Depata Council, the Obsidian Order, and Central Command worked so hard to hide from Prime’s general population. They were decade-old lies, lies that Aski herself had believed for most of her life.

Shame did come, and Cardassia’s withdrawal from Bajor came only a few years later. From there, things on Cardassia hadn’t improved again, and part of Aski wondered if this was what they deserved for the crimes on Bajor. She sighed as she looked at Taril. He had almost reached the age of emergence and Aski wondered what his future would hold. Right now, the boy was trying to nurse a house-plan back to health, now that water was available again. He was a gentle child.

Aski: Taril, it’s almost dinner time.

That caught the boy's attention - dinner was special, and in the past months, it had been the only available meal. Summer had been harsh, on Prime and on Ithic II, and the political unrest of the past years hadn’t helped the matter. But things were getting better.

Taril sat down by the table, patiently waiting for his meal.

Taril: Mother… I saw one of those weird people again.

Aski: ::smiling:: You mean the Jem’Hadar.

They were everywhere nowadays, ever since Dukat had decided that Dominion was a worthy ally. They had brought ships and food and water, and while Aski didn’t quite trust the  Jem’Hadar, she did trust the State to do whatever was best for Cardassia.

Taril: Yes ::nodding excitedly:: They are being odd. They just stare at people.

Aski: Well, but they are our allies, so be nice to them.

Taril nodded and reached for the bowl of stew, and proceeded to tell his mother all his day, which mainly consisted of school and homework.

Aski: Tomorrow, I will need you to be good and stay at home on your own, Taril. I have to work, and I won’t be back until late at night.

Aski worked as an assistant and often traveled, and Taril had stayed home alone before, even at his young age. He usually behaved, and Aski had taken care to explain to him what to do in case of an emergency. Hide.

Taril: Okay.. where are you going?

Aski: Lakarian City.

Taril: Oh, okay… can I stay awake late and watch the Feed?

Aski: ::smirking:: Of course you can.

She stroked over the boy's hair. Even if he was half Bajoran, she was glad to see that he was just like any other Cardassian child.

Ensign Trovek Arys
Counselor
USS Juneau
J239809TA4