Captain Oddas Aria: Unexpected Sacrifice

Nicholas St Gabriel

Oct 31, 2021, 5:45:49 PM10/31/21
to Juneau
((Janir Service Medical Institute, Bajor))

Aria had been to this particular hospital once before - that dark chapter of her life.  It had been the closest hospital, but even if it hadn't her parents would have insisted given the fact it was where many members of the Militia and members of their family went when they needed medical treatment.  Now, standing in the lobby on the bottom floor she remembered the second reason she hated this place.  Through the giant windows facing the East was the rock face, not a rock face, THE rock face.  She had spent 8 hours buried until rescuers had found her, unconscious for most of it, and of course Alea had never made it out.

Now staring up at the ledge, rather where the ledge was, she shook her in sadness.  Luckily during recovery her room had faced the west.

Arms crossed as the bustle of the waiting room went on behind her.  Uniformed, but unsure if that would buy her any more clout than her civilian clothes would here.  Some members of the militia, she knew, would be like her parents, and view Starfleet as some sort of lesser service, Others would be more like the Ijos and see Starfleet for what it was - a stabilizing force good for all members of the Federation, including Bajor.   Not that it mattered much to her, she was only here because Doctor Curon had finally convinced her to at least hear about the procedure and how 'non-invasive' it was.

Stelek: Good afternoon Aria.

Startled Aria turned to see Stelek standing behind her, not smiling exactly, but looking extremely pleased.

Oddas: Stelek, what, what are you doing here?

Stelek: I deduced you might need moral support, so I decided to come along.

Oddas: ::face bunching up:: I did not ask you to do that, this is something I can do on my own, you don't need to be bothered with this... its ...

Aria searched for words, something to convey she didn't want to make her problems the problems of anyone else, including but most of all Stelek's, someone who she was beginning to care for and hoping to care for more.

Stelek: You did not ask me not to come, did not order me not to come, and I have a vested interest in your well-being.  In high-stress situations other having other people around to offer advice and companionship.  I should be here.  I would advise you to let me stay, I assure you my logic is so.

Aria tilted her head and smiled, happy to have the moment of something other than death and depression in such a place.

Oddas: I suppose it is.

((Doctor Curon's Office, Janir Service Medical Institute, Bajor))

The display behind the office showed the bundle of nerves the Doctor planned to implant into Ushow - assuming he had the ok from Aria.  To Aria's eye it appeared to be a cross-section of a tree - root system on one end, branches on the other end.  Evidently even with her donation Ushow could potentially need regular injections of immunosuppressive drugs.  Without her donation, Ushow looked forward to an eventual death or life in stasis for Prophets knew how long.

Curon: Your part of the procedure will take about 5 hours, but there are very minimal side effects.

Stelek: ::raising an eyebrow:: Side effects?

Curon: Because of Doctor --::ahem::  -- Captain Oddas' donation her own heart might scar, leading to shortness of breath, lack of endurance in stressful situations, and similar ailments.  It should be minor and should they be too bothersome, they would be correctable with surgery or drugs.  I must stress, though, we're talking about extremely stressful circumstances, not everyday situations.

Aria let out a deep breath and rubbed her ridges.

Oddas: ::muttering:: Better and better.  ::more loudly:: Has anyone asked Ushow if she wants this?

Curon's expression went from optimistic enthusiasm to one of embarrassment.  It was quite a sight to see actually, his face falling deeply, wrinkles getting heavy and showing his age.

Curon: I was hoping you would talk to her?

Aria let out a low growl and shook her head.

Oddas: To be honest, Doctor, I was hoping she would refuse, and I wouldn't have to make this decision.

Stelek: Being prepared for either decision would be prudent Aria, especially when we know, you know, certain things are inevitable.

Absentmindedly, Aria placed her hand in Stelek's and squeezed.

Oddas: How severe are these side effects?

TAG, TBC

Captain Oddas Aria
Commanding Officer
USS Juneau, NX-99801