Ensign Sival - Soul of an Artist

Sival .

Nov 30, 2021, 6:32:09 AM11/30/21
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

(( Main Sickbay, Deck 7, USS Juneau ))

Sival: Monomelcular scalpel…. Thank you, Nurse.

Sival used the device to cut through the prosthetic placed on Lieutenant Kendrick’s forehead as he sat upon the surgical bed. The replicator had already produced a mold based on the surveillance images gathered from Anadasa and the physical measurements of the Lieutenant’s body, but Sival wanted to give the work a more personal touch. He gently fine-tuned the patterns and indentations of the cranial ridges, carving them to perfection.

Lieutenant Kendrick wisely waited to speak until Sival was finished using the razor-sharp knife.

Kendrick: These cosmetic changes are reversible, right doc?

Sival: Of course, Lieutenant. Unless you don’t want them to be.

Sival wondered if there were those who preferred to keep their prosthetics after their utility had been exhausted. Surely some would enjoy presenting a new identity to the world.

Kendrick: I know. I know. Stupid question. My apologies. I'm just a bit nervous. Never mind.

Sival: You have nothing to worry about, Mr. Kendrick. All the alterations are superficial.

Sival was sure he was nervous because of the Borg threat, not his cosmetic alterations. Still, he offered what reassurance he could. He, too, was feeling some anxiety related to the mission, accompanied by a fog of impending doom that was settling into his mind. He tried to push it aside and stay focused on task.

Bringing himself back to the moment, he looked at his work, nodding his head in approval. Now he just needed to do some final touch-ups, then the Lieutenant would be good to go.

Sival: ::to the nurse:: Dermal stimulator. Thank you.

Kendrick: I'll probably bite my own tongue off before this mission is over, dammit.

Sival: If you do, please hold on to it, and I will be happy to reattach it for you.

Sival offered the Lieutenant a mirror, hoping Kendrick was as satisfied with his work as he was.

Kendrick: Thanks. Although I'm not really sure I'm ready to meet the new me.

The ‘new me’. Sival was fascinated how, at its core, a mask and costume could evoke a whole new character from an individual. Where was this ‘new me’? In the wig, perhaps? Or was it hidden inside the person, just waiting for the right combination of clothes and makeup in order to make his debut?

Kendrick: I never grew my hair this long.

Sival: Who knows, you may decide to do so after this experience. It’s not… too bad in appearance.

Beauty was in the eye of the beholder - the beholders being Anadasans, of which Sival was not.

Kendrick: ::chuckles:: Isn't there some Starfleet regulation on long hair?

Sival: There is. Although I am sure you could petition for an exception based on artistic grounds.

Handsome or not, Sival’s transformation of Kendrick was as much a work of art as it was a medical procedure. Sival was proud of his latest masterpiece.

Kendrick: Well, it doesn't look bad.

Sival’s first review. Great. But Sival remembered that an artist does not live to please the crowds, so he must be moved by such things.

Kendrick: But I still prefer a short haircut. Much easier in the morning.

Sival: That is true. I keep my hair short for practical reasons as well.

Kendrick: Thank you doctor. Although it feels strange saying so after what you've just done to my boyish looks.

Sival suppressed a smile, and nodded at the Lieutenant as they left the surgical bay.

Oddas: How does it feel, Lieutenant?

Kendrick: Strange. ::looking at his clothes:: But it looks like I'm ready to mingle with the locals. How about you, Sir?

Oddas: response

Falt: response

Sival: All seems to be in order. If there are no other concerns, I must prepare supplies for the shuttle. Good luck, Captain. Lieutenants.

Sival quickly made his way to the lab.

TAG

---
Ensign Sival
Medical Officer
USS Juneau, NX-99801
J239808S11

Sival .

Nov 30, 2021, 6:34:13 AM11/30/21
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((OOC: Sorry... Here's the post...))

[...]

Sival’s first review. Great. But Sival remembered that an artist does not live to please the crowds, so he must not be moved by such things.