Ensign Dekas - The Cards on The Table

Ace Christensen

Jan 20, 2022, 11:28:11 PM1/20/22
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Clanhouse, Deck 10, USS Juneau))

Dekas: ::He turned his head to look at her:: Pelley! Lovely to see you.

She placed her hand on his shoulder, and much like when Jackman had done it he almost short-circuited because truly he did not get enough friendly affection. And it took a lot of energy not to turn around and pull her into a hug and wrap his wings around her. Make no mistake, at some point, she would get that full-winged hug. Just not yet. He hadn’t known her well before the moonbase, but he was immensely grateful to her, and as it stood she wasn’t getting rid of him now. (Not that she ever would. But she had no choice in being his friend either way.)

Pelley: It's great to see you again, Ensign. ::looking at the cards on the table:: So, who's winning?

Dekas: Everyone but me. Currently, it’s Vihn, but I think I might beat them this time.

He was only saying it because he didn’t remember his cards, and absolutely no other reason. Otherwise, that feather floof would indicate in either direction what he had.

Tipton: ::playfully sarcastic:: Personally, I’d love to see that.

Dekas side-eyed her and tossed another raise into pot.

Vihn: You should have a seat, Pelley. We've got space and I doubt this round's gonna go a whole lot longer.

Dekas: ::to Pelley:: Yes, please. You’re free to join for the next one. Or even just sit with us.

Pelley: ::smiling:: Sure! That sounds great.

She placed her cup of milk down and pulled out a chair from one of the nearby tables. As Tipton and Jackman made some room for her, she took her seat. Motor called the raise and nodded to Jackman to turn the next card over. A two of spades stared up at them.

Vihn: How're things going down in Engineering? I know you've got at least a little new blood.

Dekas: Are you not also, ah, new blood?

Vihn: ::Exaggeratedly rolling their eyes.:: Even newer than me. Ensign Sera, the Vulcan. We hung out on the holodeck with her. What's it like working with her?

Dekas had heard side talk that the doctor had visited Engineering not long ago and then left with Sera. Maybe he’d have to tell Sera they were curious how she was doing the next time he saw her

Pelley: Oh, you went to the holodeck together. How nice! Which program did you run?

Dekas: A fantasy adventure. Involved vampires and a mysterious cursed town. Tomas Falt smashed a window with an ax and I have to say it was exciting to watch that play out. He’s a hoot and he’s definitely getting invited to things more often. I imagine it could happen again in the future, you could join us next time, Pelley. If you like those types of programs, of course.

Pelley: ::frowning and shaking her head:: Nah, nothing for me I'm afraid. I like my programs to be a bit more relaxing. I've got enough adventure in my life as it is.

Dekas: And you do your adventures marvelously. But that’s understandable. ::he tilted his head, thoughtful:: Maybe at some point, we could do something more meditative there instead, then? Play fighting is nice, but taking time to be grounded is also important. I think it’d be lovely to spend time with you.

He’d come to realize lately how little he knew people, and how little they knew him. Life was so complicated, time was a privilege and not a given. Nurse Pelley was someone he felt a draw toward as a friend. He’d failed to fully notice her before, a misstep on his part, one he regrettably hadn’t done much to remedy in the following days. But he wanted to remedy it. She was kind, and she was very nice to talk to. He didn’t get a chance to think on that for long.

Jackman: Oh, you’re a terrible flirt.

Dekas: ::slight head tilt in his direction:: Is this because I’m not flirting with you, Conrad? I’m flattered by the interest. But talk about a petty officer, no?

Jackman: ::without missing a beat:: The pettiest, and don’t you forget it.

Dekas called and put in the minimum bet to match.

Pelley/Vihn: Response

Jackman turned over the final card, The River. On the table was 9 of hearts, 4 of clubs, Queen of Spades, 2 of Spades, and now the 5 of Clubs.

Dekas briefly considered actually looking at his cards again, he really did. But every time he’d done that previously it backfired. So he didn’t look. It was just that Vihn seemed very comfortable with theirs if their expression was anything to go by.

He did however want to win. He didn’t fold or raise. He tapped the table to Check and waited for Vihn’s retaliation, whatever it was going to be.

Dekas: I guess we just, ah, turn them over then?

Vihn/Pelley: Response.

And then they both turned over their cards

Dekas’ hand was the Queen of Clubs, and an even more shocking Queen of Hearts. And it was very clear by the look on his face that he was as shaken by that revelation as anyone could be. Three queens in total.

Dekas: ::a soft laugh:: Well, alright then. I’ll take that.

Pelley/Vihn: Response.

Any: Response

Tags/TBC

(OOC: Here’s hoping I did the bare minimum right amount of research on this game, and re-reading the sims to get the correct cards on the table. But we’ll go with it anyway.)

Ensign Dekas

Engineering

USS Juneau

J239802D12