[JP] R.Admiral Reynolds & Lt. Cmdr. Marshall - I’m Dreaming of a White Awards Ceremony (Part II)

Jo Marshall

Dec 27, 2021, 11:41:12 PM12/27/21
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Gorkon

((Michael Collins Dome, Pillars of Light, Luna))

Turning a little from her clapping, Jo picked up the flute of champagne from the small table as she took a breath, shooting a crooked eyebrow at Quinn and a relieved grin alongside it. She received a grin, and the crew had a few moments to continue congratulating each other while the Admiral conducted a quick check of the remaining boxes, a single solid or hollow pip contained within each. Inspection concluded, she took a quick sip of sparkling water and then turned to address the crowd once more.

Reynolds: Ensigns Tahna Meru, Meg Bendyn and Jhyrazhao sh'Kavhilji—::practise made for perfect pronunciation of the Andorian name::—if you could come forward?

She smiled, waiting for the young women to make their way to the podium. Off to her side, Jo collected the small box containing the metal inlaid within; the hollow golden pip a perfect complement to blue. Parting the magnetic metal, the XO attached the insignia to Meru’s uniform with a beaming smile and a slap on the shoulder for good measure.

Reynolds: Ensign Tahna, since you joined the Gorkon, it’s been my pleasure to watch you grow as an officer and come into your own. You’ve shown courage, resourcefulness and an ability to think outside of the box, and been an asset not just to your fellow officers, but Starfleet as a whole. And so, it's my pleasure to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade, with all the associated duties, rights, and responsibilities. ::She smiled, dipping her chin in a small, quick nod.:: Congratulations.

Hands came together once again in raucous approval for the newly minted JG, and Quinn shared a grin with her First Officer. The delight for Tahna’s achievement was loud and well-earned, echoing through the dome, and she waited for it to run its course before continuing.

Reynolds: Likewise, Ensigns Bendyn and sh'Kavhilji have both distinguished themselves in the performance of their duties, showing their dedication and aptitude, and contributing to the Gorkon’s mission success. I’m pleased to promote you both to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade, with all the associated duties, rights, and responsibilities. Congratulations, both of you.

She smiled as the pair were presented with their new rank insignia, joining the applause as their friends and colleagues congratulated the two. Both had worked hard since joining the ship, notable for their bright and easygoing natures, and she was pleased to reward them for their efforts. When the trio had returned to the crowd and the cheers had subsided, Quinn moved on to the next officer due a promotion.

Reynolds: Lieutenant Junior Grade Lena Josett, would you join us?

A small mote of surprise sparkled in Josett’s perennial good cheer, and the hybrid Cardassian-Bajoran shot a grin at her husband before making her way up to the podium. Quinn’s eyebrow twitched upward, which only seemed to entertain the woman even more.

Reynolds: The work you do requires quick-thinking, bravery and resolve; qualities you’ve shown in abundance since joining the Gorkon. You’ve consistently exceeded the expectations of your rank, and so I’m pleased to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant, with all the associated duties, rights and responsibilities. Congratulations.

Short and sweet, but the nature of Josett’s role meant Quinn couldn’t go into too much detail about what had earned her the promotion. Thankfully, many in the crowd understood, showed the same enthusiasm with their congratulations as everyone else, whoops and cheers filling the dome.

As the hybrid stepped down from the podium, Quinn steeled herself. The next promotion was for someone she would often rather see ejected out of an airlock. Quite why he irritated her so much, she couldn’t say, but he did—and so the next couple of minutes would scrape against her nerves like rock salt sandpaper.

Reynolds: Lieutenant Orson Marshall, please come forward.

The announcement brought an audible chuckle forth from Josett, and the newly promoted Lieutenant shot another grin at the elder Marshall, clearly finding the situation hilarious. None more surprised than the man himself, who shot a bolt of confusion back at his partner, the chasm in his brow deepening all the more. He stepped forward, wondering just how much paperwork it would take to shred him back to Ensign in a flash.

Quinn looked at him, exhaling a long breath through her nose, lips pressed into a thin line, and shook her head in a tiny gesture likely only he and Jo could see.

Reynolds: In the performance of your duties, you’ve shown grit, determination, and the ability to think on your feet, getting the job done whatever the odds or obstacles. We’ve seen aptitude beyond the confines of your current rank, and so I’m pleased to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant Commander, with all the associated duties, rights and responsibilities. Congratulations. ::And once the crowd had burst into applause, she added for his ears alone,:: Don’t make me regret it.

O. Marshall: I’ll do my best, sir. ::He added, as quietly, with a flash of teeth,:: But I can’t promise anything.

Blue eyes glanced sideways to his sister, who brought her hands together to join the applause and this time didn’t narrow those same eyes back at him. Conversations were needed, if for their family’s sake, if not for their own. Receiving the commendation, he nodded gratefully to the Admiral before finding his place back beside Lena, and winked at his ever-laughing wife.

TBC

--

Rear Admiral Quinn Reynolds

Commanding Officer