[JP] V. Adml. Reynolds & Lt. Cmdr. Neathler - We'll Take a Right Good-Will Draught (Part II)

Samira Neathler

Jan 21, 2023, 2:41:30 PM1/21/23
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Cyrithra Forest, Palanon))

Reynolds: As part of our discoveries, we encountered a new civilisation on the rogue world. These initial meetings are fraught with difficulty and risk, and have to be handled with delicacy and respect. Not only did our teams do that, their offer of aid directly led to helping the rogue world back on its way, saving countless lives. Therefore, I’m proud to award the First Contact Ribbon to Lieutenant Commander Neathler, Lieutenant Stoyer, Lieutenant Junior Grade Loxley, and Ensigns zh'Tisav and Tagren-Quinn.

There were so many ways that initial meeting could have gone wrong; a fact Quinn appreciated all the more after reading the reports. The indigenous people had every reason to be suspicious, or even hostile to outsiders, yet the team had handled themselves with aplomb. Samira waited as the applause dwindled before she continued, her eyes searching the crowd for the next two persons on her list.

Neathler: When tossed into a—for them—unknown time zone, where materials and equipment were scarce, that did not stop Lieutenants Tahna Meru and Gnaxac, who came up with some splendid ideas to return their team to the present. For that, it is with great honour I present to them the Legion of Merit.

Smiling, she clapped, giving the two lieutenants a nod of appreciation. She had heard all about their adventures in their time Over There during one of the many meetings by Quinn herself. And again, the ribbon presentation was accompanied by a swell of personal gratitude from the Admiral, thankful to have worked alongside such resourceful people. With a last smile at the pair as the crowd quietened, she moved on.

Reynolds: One of the successes of this mission was the rescue of many Starfleet and Union officers, long thought missing in action. You brought them back to their families and friends, and to a peaceful galaxy where the bonds they forged on the planet are welcomed and honoured. For bringing them home, I’m delighted to present the Captain’s Commendation to Lieutenant Commanders Alieth and Marshall, Lieutenant Josett, and Ensign Finch.

While the gathered officers applauded, Quinn’s eyes flicked toward Walter. He was clapping along with everyone else, but his gaze was distant, his thoughts elsewhere. Perhaps he wondered if any of the friends he’d lost in the Dominion War might still be out there, among the stars. Her heart cracked to think of it, and she had to wrest her focus back in line as the presentations continued.

Neathler: I think I can say that most of us consider the Tyrellian System as our second home. So it was only natural that when the Rogue Planet invaded our system, we did all we could to attempt to safeguard every single planet in the system and its inhabitants. For that act of gallantry and heroism, I present you all with the UFP Medal of Freedom. Congrats all and very well deserved.

Again she joined the applauding and cheering and not for the first time since they started the ceremony, Samira figured she should have kept her gloves on. It was all worth it, though. She looked at them all, glad to be part of this crew, who would do anything to help not only each other but others out as well.

Reynolds: Finally, I have a promotion to announce. ::Reaching one of her favourite parts of the presentation, she smiled.:: Since joining the Gorkon, Ensign Vylaa zh'Tisav has shown dedication, ingenuity, and aptitude far beyond what we expect from our ensigns. As such, I’m delighted to promote her to the rank of lieutenant, junior grade, with all the associated duties, rights, and responsibilities.

Neathler: Congratulations, Lieutenant Junior Grade zh’Tisav.

Both officers led the applause for the tallest Andorian in their midst, as the Admiral’s aid pressed the box containing a new black pip into Vylaa’s hand. During the cheering and applause, waiters walked around the crowd, ensuring everyone had a drink of their choice in their hands. Quinn and Samira glanced toward their Rodulan party-master, whose gaze was fixed on a tiny PADD in his hand, announcing the time with a nod, broad grin, and a thumbs up.

Reynolds: It’s almost midnight!

Neathler: Five—

Reynolds: Four—

Neathler: Three—

Reynolds: Two—

Neathler: One—

Reynolds & Neathler: Happy new year, everyone!

The first chords of a traditional Scottish tune resonated through the air, singing on the strings of guitar and violin. Many of the humans—and some others who knew the human custom—joined in to bid farewell to the old year. As their voices rose, a flock of twinkling drones wheeled above their heads, forming into a brilliant image of a Sovereign-class starship. The ship, in a green which looked familiar to everyone, performed a tour around the flames of the campfire before the image changed into:

✨ Happy 2400, Gorkonites! ✨

The letters exploded in colourful beams before they changed into other glittering patterns. Comets, falling leaves, snowflakes; even one that resembled the streaks of stars when the ship was in warp. Cheers, laughter and the clink of glasses rang out, friends and family meeting a new year together.

fin

--

Vice Admiral Quinn Reynolds

Commanding Officer