Lieutenant Piravao sh'Qynallahr - Not a Nervous Twitch

1 view

thoyte99

Jan 28, 2022, 4:51:27 AM1/28/22
to USS Gorkon – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((Bridge, USS Gorkon))

There was something off. Piravao’s antennae flicked in annoyance, banishing the faint niggling feeling in their tips. By all means the Gorkon should still be at warp. Nothing on their sensors gave any clues as to why they couldn’t, and to make matters worse, something was actively interfering with the sensors. All of them, long range, short range, even the tactical scanners were failing to find anything.

Her antennae flicked again as a door opened nearby. A quick glance up to check for the source revealed the Admiral, exiting her ready room looking calm. Almost too calm.

Reynolds: The Kahnrah is still working their search pattern, and the cargo bay team have started digging into the pod. ::She nodded. A concise report, but there was little more to add right now.:: In the meantime, we should concentrate on finding a way out of this... rift. What do we know so far?

Sevo: Sensors and communications are severely curtailed, and this place is preventing our warp drive from creating a stable subspace bubble. Power is draining at a slow but exponential rate.

sh’Qynallahr: Whatever is causing interference in our sensors is universal. I can’t even get the targeting scanners working properly.

ch’Ranni/Sevo: Response

Her eyes and antennae flicked back to the tactical console she stood before. The Gorkon was rendered on the display as a colourful diagram, various annotations fed her information about shield strength, hull status and other technical data, none of which was helpful given their current situation.

Reynolds: My guess that it’s expanding, somehow. Our engines were disabled before we got eyes on the Triumphant. If the borders were static, I’d expect to have landed on top of them. ::She frowned.:: And when we tried retracing our route at full impulse, we still couldn’t establish a warp bubble, so it’s a fair guess it’s expanding close to or past the speed of light.

A valid theory, though the rift would only need to be expanding a little faster than 0.25c, the top speed for their impulse engine, to outpace their attempt to leave. Her antennae flicked again, those intrusive thoughts, nitpicking at the Admiral’s theories, were not helpful.

Sevo: With our sensors severely limited, it’ll be near impossible to even begin to chart it.

ch’Ranni: Response

Reynolds: Well, we need to figure something out soon. If we take too long, it won’t matter if we find a way to go to warp, we won’t have the power to do it.

Sevo: Maybe we can send out a series of probes?

sh’Qynallahr: To the goal of preserving power Admiral, it may be prudent to shut down some or all non-essential systems. They will be draining power just as much as this rift, and we do not know how long we will be stuck here for. It could help extend how much time we have available…launching probes to chart what we can is not a bad idea, though it is possible their power supplies will be affected as ours are.

ch’Ranni/Sevo/Reynolds: Response

Sevo: First, we need to determine how far our communications can reach before degrading too much. Then, we set a probe to maintain a relative position to the ship at that distance. From there, we can daisy-chain additional probes further out. Hopefully, one might find the border before we run out of probes.

sh’Qynallahr: It is unlikely they will reach the border. If it is expanding at near light speed as Admiral Reynolds theorized, it will be traveling faster than our probes ever could.

Her antennae flicked again and Piravao fought the urge to rub them. She hadn’t had a nervous twitch since she was twelve, and now was not the time for something like that to manifest itself.

Reynolds/ch’Ranni: Response

Sevo: If we’re lucky, we might be able to at least determine how fast the rift is expanding.

sh’Qynallahr: What if we sent them inwards? To try and determine a point of origin for this rift.

Reynolds/ch’Ranni/Sevo: Response

sh’Qynallahr: If we can determine how it came into being, we may be able to find a way to shield ourselves from it. If it is artificial in origin, we may even be able to find an off switch.

Reynolds/ch’Ranni/Sevo: Response

sh’Qynallahr: Shields are currently at ninety two percent, they’re being drained just as much as our other systems. It’s slow, but steady. I’ve been trying different modulations since we noticed the drain, but so far we’ve seen no effect, neither positive nor negative. Any sensor data the probes can relay to us may assist us in finding a modulation which helps…if there is one.

Again her antennae twitched, and this time Piravao did run her hands over them, cleverly disguised as brushing some stray hairs off her face. That was no nervous twitch. It was as though they were hearing something, feeling something that wasn’t quite there.

ch’Ranni/Sevo/Reynolds: Response

-----
Lieutenant Piravao sh’Qynallahr
Security Officer